Post your latest oil change.

1 minute ago, customboss said:

I would have said to the chemist, show me your tests of your oil at that interval.  I used to supervise chemists and its like herding cats.....LOL   They are so smart and generally cheap they will do anything to stretch that thin nickel a long way. Data wins arguments and opinions. 

I believe he worked in quality control.  He wasn't one of those pompous ass Doctors or Chemists who went to college for the job.  It was a promotion after working decades out in the cold at AMOCO.  There's a differentiation between your typical worthless college educated moron and an experienced veteran of the industry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

Never tested it, the Ford's 10,000 mile oil change was a mistake, not my fault, and that was hopefully just a one time thing.  Oil went to the local oil change place as "orphan oil" in jugs and dropped off after hours like an abandoned baby.

My Grandfather worked his entire career at AMOCO in Whiting, Indiana, and move out when he retired in 1986.  How about yourself?  The city of Whiting once enjoyed being completely property tax free (at least for residential as far as I am aware) as a result of living in an oil town.  Not anymore.

Was never a refinery dog. Lab Rat oh yeah.  Thats interesting about Whiting property taxes. Gary, East Chicago and northern Indiana was steel and oil, chems baby! 

Whiting used to have the largest refinery in the Midwest. BP probably owns or at least operates still, now. I left Standard oil in 1978 for USN.  Navy and Army until 1989. Concurrently owned an oil analysis consultancy from 1980 until 2020.  Flew for Catskill Airways, Mohawk Airlines,  American Airlines from 1989 to 2012.  Worked for Cummins R&D materials group in Columbus IN from 2012-2014.  Then my body fell apart.  VA is keeping me in personal oil analysis ever since.  Yeehaa

5 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

That guy going 2,500 miles on oil changes must be extremely bored with old age and is simply looking for things to do to stop from going insane 🤣

He has some issues with that unit.  He's attacking them and saving buying a new engine through better living through chemistry.  If he did what you are doing, which he was, it would be dead. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

I believe he worked in quality control.  He wasn't one of those pompous ass Doctors or Chemists who went to college for the job.  It was a promotion after working decades out in the cold at AMOCO.  There's a differentiation between your typical worthless college educated moron and an experienced veteran of the industry.

Amen

Just now, customboss said:

Was never a refinery dog. Lab Rat oh yeah.  Thats interesting about Whiting property taxes. Gary, East Chicago and northern Indiana was steel and oil, chems baby! 

Whiting used to have the largest refinery in the Midwest. BP probably owns or at least operates still, now. I left Standard oil in 1978 for USN.  Navy and Army until 1989. Concurrently owned an oil analysis consultancy from 1980 until 2020.  Flew for Catskill Airways, Mohawk Airlines,  American Airlines from 1989 to 2012.  Worked for Cummins R&D materials group in Columbus IN from 2012-2014.  Then my body fell apart.  VA is keeping me in personal oil analysis ever since.  Yeehaa

BP has operated for decades.  Wasn't there a buyout in the late 1990s or early 2000s?

Northern Indiana isn't all that great anymore.  Filled with Chicago city types that escaped Illinois in favor of 50% property taxes but then vote for political candidates that propose changes that raise property taxes.  Oh and everything in the border towns isn't priced in regards to Indiana's averages but rather is priced to be "slightly cheaper" than the premiums charged in Illinois to appear as cheaper to encourage Illinois residents to come across and buy here (especially gasoline.)

The town I live in, I essentially can't shop here unless I want to pay Illinois-lite prices.  I'm loving far, far south in 2024, as far away as I can get from Chicago!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlaineBug said:

BP has operated for decades.  Wasn't there a buyout in the late 1990s or early 2000s?

Northern Indiana isn't all that great anymore.  Filled with Chicago city types that escaped Illinois in favor of 50% property taxes but then vote for political candidates that propose changes that raise property taxes.  Oh and everything in the border towns isn't priced in regards to Indiana's averages but rather is priced to be "slightly cheaper" than the premiums charged in Illinois to appear as cheaper to encourage Illinois residents to come across and buy here (especially gasoline.)

The town I live in, I essentially can't shop here unless I want to pay Illinois-lite prices.  I'm loving far, far south in 2024, as far away as I can get from Chicago!

You and Grumpy Bear have a lot in common!!! I hear you. As soon as I could get away from cities I did. 

2 minutes ago, customboss said:

You and Grumpy Bear have a lot in common!!! I hear you. As soon as I could get away from cities I did. 

Somehow the big city people don't mind paying more, but they minded paying more enough to relocate to Indiana from Illinois.  I wonder what the hell is wrong with people when they beg for trillion dollar train projects so they have an easier commute back to Chicago even though they moved further from Chicago in the first place which created the problem of having a longer commute to work (that train ride is at least 1 full hour each way too, imagine adding 2 hours to your already long work day.)  Apparently a lot of these people still enjoy working in and around Chicago.  I for one can't stand the city.  And crime is out of control too (but you can't talk about that unless you a raciss!)

Edited by BlaineBug
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, customboss said:

He has some issues with that unit.  He's attacking them and saving buying a new engine through better living through chemistry.  If he did what you are doing, which he was, it would be dead. 

I can't see how a 6,000 mile oil change could be destructive to a motor that's operating in tip top condition.  We're not the type of people to drive around with a 5 year misfire plan!  We're talking about full synthetic oil here too!

Edited by BlaineBug
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, customboss said:

I believe Whiting is a nicer town all around in comparison to its Southern neighbor Hammond and Eastern neighbor East Chicago.  However Whiting is as close as you can get to the Chicago south-east suburbs which sucks equally.  The homes in Whiting are kept in a lot better condition than surrounding towns too, which is unusual.  I wish I could have seen it in the 1950s and 1960s.  I'm 33 so I was born too late!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

I can't see how a 6,000 mile oil change could be destructive to a motor that's operating in tip top condition.  We're not the type of people to drive around with a 5 year misfire plan!  We're talking about full synthetic oil here too!

Until you see an oil analysis on a supposed or assumed perfect unit its hard to accept finding issues.  I used oil analysis of many different stripes to stand up in court, both civil and criminal so I am not talking out of my hat. Being deposed for 8 + hours the court finds out if you know your science or not.  

Most folks never test and use different assumptions about how engines, transmission, gearboxes work. I grew up in military aviation so we didn't take any chances and that army and navy training made me a good career. Even at airlines I did engineering work on fuels and lubes for safety and efficiency. 

4 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

I believe Whiting is a nicer town all around in comparison to its Southern neighbor Hammond and Eastern neighbor East Chicago.  However Whiting is as close as you can get to the Chicago south-east suburbs which sucks equally.  The homes in Whiting are kept in a lot better condition than surrounding towns too, which is unusual.  I wish I could have seen it in the 1950s and 1960s.  I'm 33 so I was born too late!

My Step Dad taught elementary school in Hammond IN after WWII to all eastern european immigrant kids who were digging their way to the American dream.  I get it and those areas were clean, neat , and well maintained and disciplined.  When jobs go the towns go.  Sadly. Also sadly most of those immigrant kids are grandparents now and their progeny has forgotten they were immigrants once too.  Poverty and work drives good communities in a hole. Not our backgrounds or how we got here. 

3 hours ago, BlaineBug said:

That guy going 2,500 miles on oil changes must be extremely bored with old age and is simply looking for things to do to stop from going insane 🤣

I be that guy. 

Fuel dilution damaged bore/rings. Using at a rate of a quart in 5K now that I have the leak identified and fixed but the damage is what it is. And what it is, is pushing NITRATION to the absolute limit by 2,500 miles. A bit less actually but this is easy to track.

We generally think of this NITRATION issue as a fuel/air ratio or air filter or spark issue, but it can also be the result of abnormal blowby and that this motor suffers from. Evey part of these other systems has been run down and rung out dry. Eveything is NEW and in perfect working order. 

So I use the cheapest oil I can lay hands on and change it at the condemnation point of 10 units Nitration. Not a lubricant on the planet can 'heal' damage. 

Bored I am not. Angry with GM I was. Relieved I am that via UOA and great lab personnel this is under control and manageable before TOTAL ring failure occurred. Not what I want to do but what I must. I can buy allot of oil for the price of a new motor.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I be that guy. 

Fuel dilution damaged bore/rings. Using at a rate of a quart in 5K now that I have the leak identified and fixed but the damage is what it is. And what it is, is pushing NITRATION to the absolute limit by 2,500 miles. A bit less actually but this is easy to track.

We generally think of this NITRATION issue as a fuel/air ratio or air filter or spark issue, but it can also be the result of abnormal blowby and that this motor suffers from. Evey part of these other systems has been run down and rung out dry. Eveything is NEW and in perfect working order. 

So I use the cheapest oil I can lay hands on and change it at the condemnation point of 10 units Nitration. Not a lubricant on the planet can 'heal' damage. 

Bored I am not. Angry with GM I was. Relieved I am that via UOA and great lab personnel this is under control and manageable before TOTAL ring failure occurred. Not what I want to do but what I must. I can buy allot of oil for the price of a new motor.  

For what reason is/was so much fuel getting in to your oil?

• Like 1