GM Brand Soft Trifold Tonneau Cover

I installed the GM brand soft fold cover today. It seems to fit well and allows the power tailgate to work properly. I don’t know if it’s going to be 100% waterproof but I feel it will be fine and do what I need it to do. 

Quality is comparable to the Extang, maybe not as thick but the stitching looks nicer. 

I wasn’t sure about the rail system because I had one a while back that I I didn’t care for. This one however sits flush with the bed rails caps and takeS up less than 1/4 inch on the inside. 

Anyone looking to get one I received a coupon TRUCK25 (case sensitive) for 25% off. Not sure how long it is good for though. 

8 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Thanks Chuck. Great info.

How are you liking your truck?

So far so good. The only issue was the hood, but that’s been taken care of. I’m at around 1100 miles, still averaging 18.5-19 MPG. 

The ride is smooth, everything is nice and tight as it should be. 

1 hour ago, Cmillerjr said:

So far so good. The only issue was the hood, but that’s been taken care of. I’m at around 1100 miles, still averaging 18.5-19 MPG. 

The ride is smooth, everything is nice and tight as it should be. 

Very glad to hear! 18.5-19 average is fantastic.

Is that even with getting on it from time to time?

11 hours ago, JacobC1983 said:

Did you have to drill the side of the bed rails to install it?  Where did you buy it from?  I think I want the GM hard cover

You have to drill through the plastic bed rail cap. The holes are already in the metal. They give you a drill guide, it’s fairly easy to install. I ordered it straight from GM at https://accessories.chevrolet.com/

I received a coupon TRUCK25 (case sensitive). Knocked off $150. 

10 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Very glad to hear! 18.5-19 average is fantastic.

Is that even with getting on it from time to time?

Maybe a little, but a good mix of back roads, around town and a little highway. 

Thanks for the info, Chuck. Could you elaborate on the problem with the Extang 2.0 trifold soft cover problem not releasing the tailgate, please? I have a 2019 sierra slt on order and I was about to pull the trigger on this cover, because I was so pleased with it on my 2007 Silverado. When I read your previous post about having to return the Extang, I was troubled that such an oversight could occur with this company on what I consider to be a common enough situation. And yes, I have the multi-pro tailgate on order, maybe this could be the issue. Could you please provide a little more detail and I'm assuming that you have the above mentioned tailgate on your ride, too?

30 minutes ago, strander100 said:

Thanks for the info, Chuck. Could you elaborate on the problem with the Extang 2.0 trifold soft cover problem not releasing the tailgate, please? I have a 2019 sierra slt on order and I was about to pull the trigger on this cover, because I was so pleased with it on my 2007 Silverado. When I read your previous post about having to return the Extang, I was troubled that such an oversight could occur with this company on what I consider to be a common enough situation. And yes, I have the multi-pro tailgate on order, maybe this could be the issue. Could you please provide a little more detail and I'm assuming that you have the above mentioned tailgate on your ride, too?

I have a Silverado so I do not have the multi-pro tailgate. However the two of them release the same, so I feel you would have the same issue as I did. The tailgate releases buy a button releasing the lock and tailgate drops on its own. I too have had great luck with extang products. I would imagine that they will reengineer their design to compensate for the automatic tailgate. 

The extang cover sits on top of the bed rails and mounts the same way as the one on your 07 would have. The cover extends to the first 3/4 to 1 inch of the tailgate. With the way the rear of the cover is secured through the tension clamps it apples a downward pressure on the tailgate, not allowing it to drop on its own as designed. You have to manually pull the tailgate down and since there is no longer a handle this isn’t ideal. Plus it takes away from the feature of the truck. 

The GM cover works on a rail system and mounts in between the bedsides. You have to mount the rails to the bedside by drilling small holes through the plastic rail caps. The holes in the metal are pre-existing. This cover is secured to the rear of the truck with slam locks that lock into the installed rails, vs tension clamps on the bedside. This allows just enough pressure on the tailgate to mitigate most water, while allowing the tailgate to drop when released. 

We we had a decent rain storm yesterday and I had minimal leakage in the corner of the covers. Below are a couple pics on how the GM cover looks and how it attaches. 

I hope this helps. Overall I am pleased with the functionality and quality of the GM cover and to be honest I think it looks better. 

8F024347-8DEF-4535-8180-DD44E808FE6F.jpeg

07A90964-1AC3-4DCE-A86F-F6F28F368592.jpeg

0D35A315-D442-4DC4-81D2-12B906BA16AA.jpeg

Thanks a million, Chuck. You have saved me and probably many others an undeserved headache. I'm really surprised that Extang would not have vetted this prior to manufacture. Maybe we should call in congress for a full review. Again, my utmost appreciation for your thorough and prompt response.

21 minutes ago, strander100 said:

Thanks a million, Chuck. You have saved me and probably many others an undeserved headache. I'm really surprised that Extang would not have vetted this prior to manufacture. Maybe we should call in congress for a full review. Again, my utmost appreciation for your thorough and prompt response.

Congress is busy enough with all of the Reviews going on with half of the President's Cabinet :lol:

On 9/8/2018 at 9:55 AM, JacobC1983 said:

It really looks like there is a gap between the bed cover and the bed? Is that by design?

There is a seal there,  it’s hard to see. The seal keeps the cover elevated by about 1/8” or so from the bed rail. By design I believe, to allow the tailgate to work properly. 

On 9/7/2018 at 11:10 AM, strander100 said:

Extang emailed me  a recall for this cover (must not know I already started the return process).  It’s also been pulled from their website. 

Archived