Suspension Change? Aftermarket parts from previous year.

My big question that I cant find a defined answer for is. How much of a real suspension change was made for this new modal? Is it at all possible that some of the previous years aftermarket suspension parts could swap over to this new modal? Like shocks, upper control arms things like that. Keep in mind im asking if some of the previous years AFTERMARKET parts could bolt up. I have looked ant videos and diagrams posted and it looks as if these parts still bolt up exactly the same way.

2 hours ago, NEMESIS-A/T said:

My big question that I cant find a defined answer for is. How much of a real suspension change was made for this new modal? Is it at all possible that some of the previous years aftermarket suspension parts could swap over to this new modal? Like shocks, upper control arms things like that. Keep in mind im asking if some of the previous years AFTERMARKET parts could bolt up. I have looked ant videos and diagrams posted and it looks as if these parts still bolt up exactly the same way.

The Major front redesign for 2019 suspension wise, comes at the front end. Particularly the knuckle being taller to accept the higher mounted

Upper A Arm. The Upper Arm is now attached to the frame at a higher point, thus also a new frame.

Credit to NEWDUDE for the information and pictures below from his post "A Look Underneath T1"

• Anyone who thinks this is the same truck new wrapper, its not.  Other than some tires/tire sizes, the wheel diameter/width, and possibly the rear axle housing, I can't find ANYTHING it shares with K2 and prior. 
  • The frame.  Again, very Colorado/Canyon (I drive a Colorado currently and have been underneath it a bunch).  The way the front rails are designed, the front suspension mounting and setup, all up-scaled from Colorado.  Serious bones under this truck.  And again, unlike GMT-900 and K2 which shared frames, this is totally different.

Suspension.thumb.png.45e6b595d87d563cb52bcabe4d6655a8.png

8 hours ago, NEMESIS-A/T said:

If only it was that easy to fit old parts on a new MODEL I wouldn’t have to wait for a lift kit to be released ?

GM made quite a few changes to this new body style

From the looks of it, coil overs will swap over. I say this for adjustable coil overs. I have Kings adjustable and in the picture the distance might be different but the mounting appears to be the same.

It's quite possible they could fit.  I have King coil overs too.  But it's also quite possible that the spring and damping rates are all different due to the geometry change.

That taller knuckle should lower the upper ball joint loads.  Upper ball joint life seemed to be borderline in the K2 and the shared designs from the GMT900.  Especially with large heavy tires.

The struts are longer and the previous model struts and coilovers are too short.  The lower control arm is stamped differently so using a leveling kit that mounts a spacer to the bottom of the strut will have to change.  

The leveling kits that assembly above the strut assembly can remain the same but for any companies that use a spacer that mount to the bottom of the strut will need to change or be trimmed as the shape of the control arm will interfere.  

A strut or coil over from a previous model cannot be used on the 2019 gm half ton.  

The 4 pot brakes are slightly bigger than previous years which makes fitting a 17 a little more difficult.  You will have to check the mount on the wheel.  shallow mounts cannot be used as the back of the spokes hit the brake caliper.  

noticed some other differences... for example some have composite add-a-leafs.  

Archived