Sierra/Silverado vs. RAM 1500

I love the 2019 AT4 except the interior.  I could live with an interior without all the same luxuries Ram put into theirs but what annoys me the most is my 2014 interior looks far nicer then the 2019.  I don't need the 12in screen of rotary shifter but GM could have added more finishes and materials to make the SLT AT4 and Denalis looks more appealing and different than lower trim levels.  I have more aluminum and chrome trim in my dash and doors then the new 2019.  I sat is a 2019 Denali and it is all black plastic and vinyl everywhere except the center stack.  The center console design looks like an afterthought and is far less functional than the 14-18.  I have had 5 GMs and I plan to buy a new truck in 2 years and wanted an AT4 but GM really does need to improve the interior.  I agree GM's powertrain, chassis, bed, and exterior design is the better of all fullsize trucks now but when paying over 60k I expect the interior to be on par with the rest of the truck.  My friend and his dad buth of which only every had silverados switched to Rams last year and love their trucks.  They put on 15-20k miles a year and do a lot of towing and buth have had nothing but praise for their trucks.  I hope to be in an AT4 in 2 years if GM's mid cycle refresh addresses the interior but if not I will also likley switch to Ram after they have the bugs worked out.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have drove two Fords for the last 20 years with no major mechanical issues and liked the styling. My last being a 2008 Ford F150 Lariat with 165k on it. Time for a new truck! I have been researching for the last several months and to me it came down to exterior styling. I just loved the looks of the Gmc Sierra 1500 SLT 4wd. Yes the Ford and the Ram had higher end looking interiors but have never liked the exterior of the Rams. The Fords exterior has not changed since I bought the 2008. After owning the GMC for two weeks I like the setup of the interior controls. The seats are much firmer than the ford but not a deal breaker. Just have to hope like hell I get the same reliability I received from my last two Fords. My first vehicle was a 1969 Z28 in 1976. Made the full circle back to GM!

Just realized this is an old thread. My bad. New to forum :D

foto_no_exif (11).jpg

Edited by NorthForty
  • Like 5

Ah, the need to mention "$110K" - unnecessary in my book.

As a former Benz owner, I can tell you this: Benz is overrated. I will never consider it: less reliable, worse gas mileage (my 177-hp V6 could barely get me 25 mpg, something my 355-hp V8 in a 4x4 could easily beat), and the resale sucked balls. Granted, it was back in 2008 and the gadgets sure are nice, but you will find it in Kia within a couple years.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wiggums said:

As a former Benz owner, I can tell you this: Benz is overrated. I will never consider it: less reliable, worse gas mileage (my 177-hp V6 could barely get me 25 mpg, something my 355-hp V8 in a 4x4 could easily beat), and the resale sucked balls. Granted, it was back in 2008 and the gadgets sure are nice, but you will find it in Kia within a couple years.

I knew someone with a 2009 MB SUV. Nothing but problems and most of them were extremely expensive to repair. The transmission issue was so expensive that it wasn't worth fixing it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

I knew someone with a 2009 MB SUV. Nothing but problems and most of them were extremely expensive to repair. The transmission issue was so expensive that it wasn't worth fixing it. 

Not worth it when the SUV that cost $50,000 new is worth a new transmission five years later. The ML was absolute garbage, when it first came out in 1998 or 1999, I remember it having the WORST reliability and it was twice as bad as the second worst SUV.. not surprisingly, the Dodge Durango. I never bought that, I walked in one and was shocked at the cheap, plasticky interior and wondered how the hell it was selling like hotcakes the first time. The last Benz I owned were C280 and S550, both 2008 models. Never again. The Americans called theirs C300, mine was the Mexican-spec C280 with European lightings and yellow blinkers in the back (required in Europe). The S550 was American-spec though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wiggums said:

I still own and love my Benz and it is definitely not overrated.  Then again I never saw it as anything more than just a vehicle ~ but yea... the need to mention the price... Well... Is no more outrageous than feeling the need to mention engine size... Lol.  Hopefully, I will have my Sierra by the months end. 

22 hours ago, NorthForty said:

I have drove two Fords for the last 20 years with no major mechanical issues and liked the styling. My last being a 2008 Ford F150 Lariat with 165k on it. Time for a new truck! I have been researching for the last several months and to me it came down to exterior styling. I just loved the looks of the Gmc Sierra 1500 SLT 4wd. Yes the Ford and the Ram had higher end looking interiors but have never liked the exterior of the Rams. The Fords exterior has not changed since I bought the 2008. After owning the GMC for two weeks I like the setup of the interior controls. The seats are much firmer than the ford but not a deal breaker. Just have to hope like hell I get the same reliability I received from my last two Fords. My first vehicle was a 1969 Z28 in 1976. Made the full circle back to GM!

Just realized this is an old thread. My bad. New to forum :D

foto_no_exif (11).jpg

I love the vehicle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wmoor004 said:

I still own and love my Benz and it is definitely not overrated.  Then again I never saw it as anything more than just a vehicle ~ but yea... the need to mention the price... Well... Is no more outrageous than feeling the need to mention engine size... Lol.  Hopefully, I will have my Sierra by the months end. 

The comparison was needed to show the mileage between a puny V6 with 177 hp in my former Benz and a V8 with 355 hp in my current Silverado.

I could have bought an E350 instead of a SIlverado. the MSRP is the same. The Benz is generally far less reliable and more costly to repair. So much for "German" precision, it's a joke.

And my former Benz was worth half the price compared to my F-150 four years later. Nobody wants it anymore except the 18 year old kids thinking they're getting a bargain.

• Confused 1

The comparison was needed to show the mileage between a puny V6 with 177 hp in my former Benz and a V8 with 355 hp in my current Silverado.

I could have bought an E350 instead of a SIlverado. the MSRP is the same. The Benz is generally far less reliable and more costly to repair. So much for "German" precision, it's a joke.

And my former Benz was worth half the price compared to my F-150 four years later. Nobody wants it anymore except the 18 year old kids thinking they're getting a bargain.

My computer guy I used for my business drove very nice looking use Benz. About every two years he would have another one. Finally after about 10 years I ask him what’s the deal. He knew a Benz mechanic who has his own business. People would get tired of spending money on them and leave them at his shop. My computer guy would pay about 5K for them. He figured after a year he was ahead of the game and drive them till they quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Cannot speak on the reliability of a Silverado Never owned one.  However, I have owned several Mercedes a still do, and they have all been reliable, and have held their value nicely.  I always say, buy what you like, and can afford to maintain.  Maintenance can get expensive.  ??‍♂️??‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Wmoor004 said:

Cannot speak on the reliability of a Silverado Never owned one.  However, I have owned several Mercedes a still do, and they have all been reliable, and have held their value nicely.  I always say, buy what you like, and can afford to maintain.  Maintenance can get expensive.  ??‍♂️??‍♂️

I looked up cars.com and picked the E350 and the Silverado with LTZ trim (luxury). As new cars, the base Benz E350 was $10,000 higher than the base Silverado LTZ. I selected 2015 models only and this is what I see... do you notice how dismal the resale value is on the Benz? I sorted it by price and picked low-mileage vehicles, no more than 50k miles.

$21,294 - 2015 Mercedes-Benz E 350 - 47,657 mi.
$24,998 - 2015 Mercedes-Benz E 350 - 28,993 mi.
$24,998 - 2015 Mercedes-Benz E 350 - 39,623 mi.
$25,000 - 2015 Mercedes-Benz E 350 - 45,170 mi.
$28,825 - 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ - 48,966 mi.
$31,881 - 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ - 45,495 mi.
$31,998 - 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ - 47,726 mi.
$32,598 - 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ - 39,954 mi.
$33,995 - 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ - 32,067 mi.
$34,324 - 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ - 34,972 mi.
$37,911 - 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ - 29,680 mi.
$37,995 - 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ - 32,628 mi.
$37,998 - 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ - 26,465 mi.

When I buy cars, I consider the reliability and the resale value. That was the very reason why I didn't buy the Ram, it was consistently $8,000 to $10,000 less as used compared to similarly equipped Silverado and F-150. That was why I didn't bite when Dodge dangled a $16,000 incentive.

When I bought the Benz, I thought it was an investment. Whoo, I was way off by a wide margin, bad gas mileage, expensive repairs, and cramped interior. Once I bought a pick-up and used it as a daily driver, I could never go back.

I don't want the car to strand me. I've gotten stranded by the Audi and the Benz, but never by the Ford and Chevrolet. Sure as hell am not taking my chances with the Dodge. It's not the maintenance I am worried about, it's the unexpected bills. $4,000 on my Audi right past the damn 50k warranty! And it stranded me in the desert and I had to get the damn thing towed to the nearest Audi dealership which was 43 miles away

29 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

My computer guy I used for my business drove very nice looking use Benz. About every two years he would have another one. Finally after about 10 years I ask him what’s the deal. He knew a Benz mechanic who has his own business. People would get tired of spending money on them and leave them at his shop. My computer guy would pay about 5K for them. He figured after a year he was ahead of the game and drive them till they quit.

I totally believe it. My Isuzu mechanic (he was a block away but worked mostly on Benz and BMW) usually had a couple on his lot when customers abandoned them.

• Like 1

Silverado is outdated cheap crap........My 2004 was much better than my 2016 2500........I honestly don't think there's a good truck out there right now.  Ford is crap.....Dodge is good looking crap....When Turdota gets it shit together, if ever, I think they will have a winner.  No-one is really putting any effort into trucks right now.  It's all about cost cutting and it shows.  Bad time to buy a truck.  If you have a nice, older truck, I would hold on to it until a better effort is proffered.