Sierra/Silverado vs. RAM 1500

This post doesn't make sense.    Drive them all and pick the one you like.  It's really that simple.   Every single manufacturer has "issues"  and nightmare customer service stories.

I'm a snob too when it comes to vehicles, but when spending this kind of money... there's no reason not to be. 

I've had a new Silverado every couple years since the 2007 new body style and the 2016 LTZ Z71 I had was the biggest piece of crap I had ever owned and will probably prevent me from ever going back to GM ... and I've had 6 different Bowties (cars, trucks, SUVs) over the past 8 years.

I drove all of the newest .. of course not the 2019 Silverado, but like I said .. I don't think I'd even consider it.   I picked the truck I liked best and am happy so far.

Edited by MADF1

I have no need at this time for an upgrade to a 2019. 
Just because a new platform rolls out, we should jump on board and upgrade?
This theory is what drives the truck prices this day and age.
I think the T1 overall is a big step up for GM.
Odd to hang out on a particular thread or topic?
Isn't that what this site is about? I enjoy reading and posting in all topics related to my interests.
After-all, this is a GM Forum. I just find it funny that some come here to rant and rave about RAM.
There is a RAM forum for that.
What about Ford? Surely there should be some praises and pictures of new F-150's as well right?

[emoji4]

It does say GM vs Ram in the topic. I know a few people who have Rams some with many miles. Haven’t seen the problems stated here quality control wise. Repeat buyers too. I would buy based on price mostly GM was usually cheaper. I owned the big three didn’t really see one much better than the other. GM usually was quicker through the years, Ford usually held up better. I usually traded every two years or 100K miles, they all were usually trouble free in that space of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of a-holey comments towards the OP.  Sorry but you blue collar, rough and tough guys need to realize people want the higher end trucks and the heaviest work they'll do is carrying mulch bags from Lowes once a year or carrying their kids bikes to the river on weekends.  Maybe a couple of plants here and there, etc. are also in the mix.  They have white collar jobs and aren't bragging when referencing a 110k Benz, just letting you know price isn't the object but having a nice interior and capacity is.  They have no plans to tow a backhoe daily or tow anything more than a Uhaul helping their neighbor. Lighten up Francis!

Now, back to the original topic.  This guy needs more towing and all full sized trucks (yes, contrary to what you think, both Nissan and Toyota make them - reminds me of the quote from The Blues Brothers: "What kind of music are they playing".  Redneck looks astonished and says "Both kinds", "Country and Western"..I digress).  Anyway, the answer to his question is brand loyalty and how much $hit you're willing to put up with to stay loyal.  Chevy shake, Eco-BOOM, questionable quality on RAMs, crap mileage on Tundras (but generally reliable), etc.  That is how Shakerados sell despite being way behind in interior quality or other subjective amenities.  They're all so close in (lack of) quality, towing, mileage or other stuff "truck" guys are supposed to care about.

Edited by cltsig
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, cltsig said:

Sorry but you blue collar, rough and tough guys need to realize people want the higher end trucks and the heaviest work they'll do is carrying mulch bags from Lowes once a year or carrying their kids bikes to the river on weekends.  Maybe a couple of plants here and there, etc. are also in the mix.  They have white collar jobs and aren't bragging when referencing a 110k Benz, just letting you know price isn't the object but having a nice interior and capacity is.  They have no plans to tow a backhoe daily or tow anything more than a Uhaul helping their neighbor.

This statement best proves the point as to why trucks are exceeding $70k this day and age.

Makes it harder for the blue collar guy or the family with a true need for a truck be able to justify the price, even with lower trim level packages.

These buyers are forced into finding an older truck with higher mileage for a $20-30K premium and cross their fingers as the warranties expire.

Once Gas hits the $3 and up range again, even the white collar guy will switch back to his 110k Benz

29 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

This statement best proves the point as to why trucks are exceeding $70k this day and age.

Makes it harder for the blue collar guy or the family with a true need for a truck be able to justify the price, even with lower trim level packages.

These buyers are forced into finding an older truck with higher mileage for a $20-30K premium and cross their fingers as the warranties expire.

Once Gas hits the $3 and up range again, even the white collar guy will switch back to his 110k Benz

I dont disagree with anything you said except the $3 gas comment...I know plenty of people that easily drop $1,500 or more at the track in a weekend racing cars. Three dollar a gallon gas isnt going to phase them at all...If you can buy a $110k benz you arent stressing about gas prices unless you bought way too much car attempting to show off.

If gas prices were to add two more dollars per gallon and they typically buy 20 gallons a week, thats only 2k year in increased cost. Thats play money for some of these people. If it were to go up an addition $4 per gallon its still only 4k per year.

...and please note- Im not saying it wouldnt impact me. Im just saying there are people that dont even consider these types of prices increases. People that spend 5k a year having fresh flowers delivered to their houses just to watch them die.

Edited by Chris walker

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

I don't disagree but it is what it is.   Quite possibly the higher end trucks with their larger margins are subsidizing the lower end, lower margin trucks with all of their attendant safety systems and electronica.  Without that, the prices could/would be higher. The Big 3 print money with these things and the ceiling on prices keeps inching up.  Personally, I'm tapping out and looking at a used Toyota that I can drive into the ground.  Granted, I'll need to put in a new stereo because they suck donkey d1ck but it'll run forever on low grade gas.

Edited by cltsig

Thanks everyone for good info (even to those with clear insecurities). 

I live in Silicon Valley. I've never owned a truck, never actually owned an American car, never been inside a truck until few weeks ago, don't know anyone (friend, colleague, friend-of-a-friend) who owns a truck... So, yeah, my question was real and not a troll. I'm avid bass fisherman on CA Delta and tow my 21ft Ranger perfectly fine w/my Benz (which is great family car for 4 but totally overpriced). We're getting 7,000lbs Mastercraft watersport boat and I need a vehicle that can tow 10,000lbs safely - SUVs are out and hence my interest in half-ton trucks.

I'm getting here that the major ding towards RAMs is their perceived lack of reliability relatively to GM/Ford. That's something to keep in mind... I've owned MB/BMW for the last 15-20 years. MBs are rock solid, BMWs are very finicky. I expect RAM/GM/Ford to be somewhere in between (hopefully). I actually like Silverado the best exterior/interior design wise, I like 6.2 engine, etc. (hence posting on this forum) - it's just killing me that it is so cheaply made inside and yet they are asking almost $65K for it. 

I can remember trucks for work only and (gasp) people pulling boats and campers with their station wagons. They even had a utility trailer they pulled to the local lawn and garden store with their car. Like everything else over time homes, boats, RVs and even hamburgers have gotten bigger. We just have to have that 70 thousand dollar truck to handle it all. You really still get a decent truck for a reasonable price if you really need one. There’re all pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, mk61hacker said:

I live in Silicon Valley. I've never owned a truck, never actually owned an American car, never been inside a truck until few weeks ago, don't know anyone (friend, colleague, friend-of-a-friend) who owns a truck... So, yeah, my question was real and not a troll. I'm avid bass fisherman on CA Delta and tow my 21ft Ranger perfectly fine w/my Benz (which is great family car for 4 but totally overpriced). We're getting 7,000lbs Mastercraft watersport boat and I need a vehicle that can tow 10,000lbs safely - SUVs are out and hence my interest in half-ton trucks.

I'm getting here that the major ding towards RAMs is their perceived lack of reliability relatively to GM/Ford. That's something to keep in mind... I've owned MB/BMW for the last 15-20 years. MBs are rock solid, BMWs are very finicky. I expect RAM/GM/Ford to be somewhere in between (hopefully). I actually like Silverado the best exterior/interior design wise, I like 6.2 engine, etc. (hence posting on this forum) - it's just killing me that it is so cheaply made inside and yet they are asking almost $65K for it. 

Your first post came off like you were trolling with backhanded questions and comments.  So since you probably are looking for a truck and don't already have one - my bad, sorry.  

Personally I find the Ram to be extremely gawdy inside.  I only sat in a Limited at the car show and it was clear they couldn't go an inch without gluing some badge or trim piece on.  I think a Laramie would probably be less of a visual assault.  I'm more of a "less is more" person when it comes to styling.  

Have you sat in a 2019 Silverado or Sierra yet?  The Sierra will he slightly upscale due to better materials and a little more bling. I rather liked the Silverado I sat in (high option / cloth LT).  I have seen a LTZ interior in person but it was right after it launched and you couldn't sit in it.  It's far nicer than the pics appear but it's not a luxury interior, it's more of a high end truck interior.   It does look and feel more expensive and better built than a Ford though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

Speaking of gluing badges on....

My buddy is the proud new owner of a 2019 Ram Limited.

He has had 3 of the interior badges fall off.

They are applied with double sided tape! :smash:

But they have super luxurious interiors!? 

19 hours ago, mk61hacker said:

Sounds like you'll actually be using the truck as a truck.  If you are going to be towing your boat distances or commuting long distances on a regular basis  you may consider waiting just a bit longer for the new diesel.  If you are just doing short distance towing to a nearby lake

and not commuting long distances regularly, stick with the 6.2 or 5.3  The GMC Denali will be out shortly and does have a more upscale interior and the SLT is very nice as well.  The GMC AT4 (comparable to Chevy trailboss both have 2" lift) can also be optioned with the 6.2, unlike the Silverado trailboss package.  With the towing and mostly city driving, I'd probably go with the Chevy LTZ 6.2 or SLT with the 5.3 for value.  For GMC, I think you have to get the Denali or AT4 if you want the 6.2 though.  Trade or resale wise, 4x4, Denali's and diesel do well.  If diesel's end up being what you want and you don't want to wait, the F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew can be had for under 50k.  They are returning 25 mpg on the highway and I think I saw 21 mpg on a tow loop (check out TFL tow loop and ike gauntlet, as well as Everyman driver on youtube).  They are not experts by any means, but they do point out lots of things you may never think about when shopping across brands.  The diesel is actually a Lion (from Range Rover) that has been redone for the F150.  I think the GM inline (straight) turbo 6 will be a more powerful and reliable motor.

https://www.gmc.com/trucks/2019-sierra-1500-pickup-truck 

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/introducing-the-first-ever-2019-sierra-at4

Edited by lrtexasman

On 8/22/2018 at 7:49 PM, Wintersun said:

I am looking to buy a new 1500 class pickup and have spent more time than I like to think researching what is available. The trucks with the best ride and with the most configuration options are the RAM 1500 trucks. But, and it is a big but, when I researched owners complaints I often found posts by people with new or months old trucks that had an engine or transmission failure and waited months to get the parts needed and the repairs performed. I found the same with the Jeep SUV vehicles which is why I bought a Traverse instead of a Grand Cherokee.

The Ford trucks have a similar notoriety in terms of owners with relatively new trucks that have the doors pop open on the highway and Ford has yet to provide a fix or with leaking cabs and windows and Ford taking the position that this is not covered under warranty. That scratched Ford off my list.

So I am down to the new 2019 Silverado 1500 or waiting for the 2020 Toyota Tundra which will be released in the fall of 2019. I am reluctant to be a pioneer (the guys with the arrows in their backs as the old saying goes) owner of a new platform truck from anyone.  I bought a Silverado 2500HD Duramax in 2011 and I dealt with all the service bulletins and extra trips to the dealer for the first 18 months. There is still an outstanding recall for the airbags that GM has chosen to ignore for the past two years.

The 2017 Silverado 1500 truck has a reputation for the Chevy Shake and dealers along with GM have not been able to provide a remedy for owners. And once you buy the truck you own the problems and not GM/Chevrolet.

The pickups with the fewest reported problems are the ones from Toyota. I no longer need the 4,000 lb payload capacity of my 2500 truck nor its 17,200 lb towing capacity and so the Toyota Tundra is at the top of my list. I have put over 180,000 road and off road miles on each of the five Toyota Hi-Lux trucks and never had a component failure and when I sold them the gear box was solid as was the steering and every single component worked as when the trucks were new. I only had to make scheduled repairs with new timing belts or new clutches or new brakes.

In 6 months it will be more apparent if there are any significant problems with the 2019 Silverado 1500 trucks and which ones it may be wise to avoid based on the engine or transmission or accessories installed. If I had to buy something today it would be a 2018 Tundra as it would be the lowest risk choice. Toyota does a full revamp of its trucks every 7 years which is why I plan to hold onto my 2011 2500HD Duramax pickup until next fall.

How has your LML duramax been? We have one in the family and have had several dpf sensors fail and oil pressure sensor. It’s now at 50k miles and out of power train warranty in October. Debating on keeping it or selling. The CP4 fuel pump failures have us a little nervous. 

The oil pressure sensor surprises me but the DPF sensors don't.  the DPF and DEF systems are weak points on Ford, Dodge, and GM.  The CP4 would have me a bit concerned as well but the failure rate out of the many trucks out there is very low.  Overall I really believe the Duramax is superior to the Cummins and Powerstroke.