GM to offer a lift kit for the 2019 pickups.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:09 PM, MacLaren said:

Yeah, did anyone figure out why the LT w/ 5.3 is restricted from this?

This ^

I’m curious as well. Is this a matter of that it physically CAN’T be done or that GM WON’T do it because of losing sales on the LT trail boss? 

I have a LT Z71 and as far as I know, there are no differences between the Z71 suspension on a RST, LTZ, or HC which apparently can have the trail boss lift kit added per GM.

I’m quickly losing my patience with GM and  all their BS.

3 hours ago, Z06JPB said:

This ^

I’m curious as well. Is this a matter of that it physically CAN’T be done or that GM WON’T do it because of losing sales on the LT trail boss? 

I have a LT Z71 and as far as I know, there are no differences between the Z71 suspension on a RST, LTZ, or HC which apparently can have the trail boss lift kit added per GM.

I’m quickly losing my patience with GM and  all their BS.

That is surprising since I was under the impression that the LT TB is closer to the RST than the LT. So I would have thought they'd be more likely to restrict the lift on the RST, rather than the LT.

3 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

That is surprising since I was under the impression that the LT TB is closer to the RST than the LT. So I would have thought they'd be more likely to restrict the lift on the RST, rather than the LT.

True. One of the reasons I went with the LT is because I like chrome bumpers and I was able to find one with the all-star, leather,  and safety package. The sticker on my truck was $52,900 which is more expensive than some LTZ models. 

Unless there is a specific mechanical reason why I can’t use the TB lift, I’m calling GM on their marketing BS.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Z06JPB said:

One difference for sure is that the Ranchos on the TB are monotube, while those on the Z71 are twin tube. 

59 minutes ago, econometrics said:

One difference for sure is that the Ranchos on the TB are monotube, while those on the Z71 are twin tube. 

Definitely different. But the TB lift kit comes complete with the monotube shocks as well as even new front CV shafts.

The kit seems complete. Still, GM says the TB lift kit can’t be installed on an LT with the 5.3L engine. Still waiting for answer as to why but I suspect it’s only GM keeping people from going a cheaper route than buying a LT TB from the factory.

Edited by Z06JPB

1 hour ago, Z06JPB said:

Definitely different. But the TB lift kit comes complete with the monotube shocks as well as even new front CV shafts.

The kit seems complete. Still, GM says the TB lift kit can’t be installed on an LT with the 5.3L engine. Still waiting for answer as to why but I suspect it’s only GM keeping people from going a cheaper route than buying a LT TB from the factory.

i'm pretty sure the LT model has a composite leaf spring. that's the reason why.

31 minutes ago, silveradonationfan15 said:

i'm pretty sure the LT model has a composite leaf spring. that's the reason why.

I’ll check my springs later to see if they are composite or have a composite leaf in there somewhere. It would be weird if the LT had a composite as there really isn’t anything that special about an LT. If anything, I would have guessed the High Country would have some trick spring setup.

The NHT max tow package, from what I know, does have a composite insert, at least on the last generation of Silverado. This makes sense as the TB lift is not compatible with the NHT max tow.

1 hour ago, bullet3z said:

So just to verify. Can this lift be used on the RST 5.3 non Z71 trucks?

Yes. Pretty much every Silverado model, trim, and engine EXCEPT the LT with 5.3L. 

Ive attached the guide from earlier.

EC65ADEA-4B54-43C5-A854-3589DF16B575.png

1 hour ago, silveradonationfan15 said:

Well, looks like you’re right. I found this link: https://media.chevrolet.com/content/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/silverado/2019/_jcr_content/iconrow/textfile/file.res/2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-Product-Guide.pdf

Says “composite second-stage rear leaf springs on LT models”. So GM gets off the hook for what looked like a marketing ploy. It still doesn’t specify if this is for all engine combinations or just the 5.3L.

But why just on the LT are there composite rear springs? For a softer ride? Weight savings? What? Like I said before, I really would have figured the LTZ or high country would be the ones with a composite.

I’ll physically check my truck in the morning but looks as though I’ll have to buy Custom/RST/LTZ/HC leaf springs if I want the TB lift. Ugh ?

Well, couldn’t wait until morning. Took my high power magnet and check the leaf springs.

YUP, they have a composite secondary spring at the bottom of the stack. Wow, just why? Could someone with a different trim verify that their rear leafs are all steel?

I’m still in shock that GM wouldn’t keep all the leaf springs for Silverado production the same for the sake of economy especially when that different part is only used by one, mid level trim package!

That said, though too dark to tell, looks like my shocks are the rancho monotubes and not the twin tube. I’ll have to verify this in the morning with part numbers.

On 8/17/2019 at 8:58 PM, RyanbabZ71 said:

I am 99% sure my HC are steel but will check in the AM.

IMO these trucks are perfect with the TB lift

b01f49354f0e8a4e36c4784343a01892.jpg

Ryan B.

Just curious if you were able to check to see if your HC has a composite leaf spring. 

I went to the dealer on Sunday with my magnet. I checked every Custom, RST, Trail Boss (LT and Custom), and LTZ and they all have steel leaf springs. The LTs on the lot all had the composite. There were no HCs to test. Haven’t seen one in a lot anywhere.

Edited by Z06JPB