Use the cargo lights while driving.

7 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

That’s not true you can lane split on a bike unlike the rest of the US. But yes that is about the only exception...

And even then, they are still splitting lanes at 80MPH+.  The original concept was to split lanes during traffic jams.  CHP and other LEOs need to enforce it.

When I had my canopy installed I had them run a hot wire to the light and to a triple 12V plug outlet by the tailgate.  This way I have access to lights and power when camping without entering the cab.  My thought here is you could run an independent wire hooked up to a couple of lights in the box with a discrete spring loaded push button mounted on your dash or console.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am interested in a simple work around too because for me it is important to be able to utilize my cargo lights for me it's not illegal because I have a cap on my truck and they're technically interior lights , I have use them extensively on the other brand trucks in order to monitor my hunting dogs

• Like 2

Now that I have done the orl switch mod I have a extra switch I have already mounted in my cab. I’m thinking about having it control a separate 12v hot wire connected to the factory bed rail light harness under the spare tire.  This would allow them to still function as they are stock. But then if I want to flip the switch and say I’m in gear it should light the bed rail lights up. My only fear is back feeding it and some how blowing up the bcm or something. Any thoughts? 

Is there any possible way to have the cargo lights up while putting it in reverse? The tail light comes on but not the bright white light on top as on the cargo. But breaking taillights lit up does works. I would love to see my mirror lighted up as well while going backwards. Kinda lame that we don't have a functions to be a setting on our stereo system to be able to do what kind of lighting system programs on our trucks.

1 hour ago, TexasMidnight said:

Is there any possible way to have the cargo lights up while putting it in reverse? The tail light comes on but not the bright white light on top as on the cargo. But breaking taillights lit up does works. I would love to see my mirror lighted up as well while going backwards. Kinda lame that we don't have a functions to be a setting on our stereo system to be able to do what kind of lighting system programs on our trucks.

Yes, there are a few threads out there that discuss this, all in the MODS section.  You can use a wire, in Reverse - cargo & reverse lights come on, and turn on the cargo lights - they all come on too.  Use a diode, depending on which direction the diode is set, dictates which mode triggers the lights.

The diode mod is a great mod! It's the most practical mod I've seen, the diodes cost a few cents, and it takes about a min in total to do! Now I use my key fob to turn my cargo/reverse lights to see in the bed of my truck, and for extra light when entering/exiting my house.

And as always... Enjoy your ride!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got some time and got mine to function exactly the way I wanted to.....

i have an additional switch in my cab that allows me to turn on just my bed lights with the truck in the on position in any gear there for this will not blind the car behind me as it’s only the bed lights. Of course I have added a set of 4 rock lights to the stock ones so I have way more light in the bed.

spent about 20-30 bucks on this.  I placed a relay in the rear and placed a road master diode in the rear as well.  The diode I got allows for 2 inputs and 1 output.  So I just cut the supply wire to the bed lights in two and placed the part going to the lights in the output put the other end in one of the inputs the other input comes from my relay. What this allows is for the bcm to not be back-fed.

i got the 12v power and ground from the trailer plug wiring.  So in theory you could use this to add a switch in the bed if you really wanted instead of having to run a wire up to the cab.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tleesmith14 said:

So I finally got some time and got mine to function exactly the way I wanted to.....

i have an additional switch in my cab that allows me to turn on just my bed lights with the truck in the on position in any gear there for this will not blind the car behind me as it’s only the bed lights. Of course I have added a set of 4 rock lights to the stock ones so I have way more light in the bed.

spent about 20-30 bucks on this.  I placed a relay in the rear and placed a road master diode in the rear as well.  The diode I got allows for 2 inputs and 1 output.  So I just cut the supply wire to the bed lights in two and placed the part going to the lights in the output put the other end in one of the inputs the other input comes from my relay. What this allows is for the bcm to not be back-fed.

i got the 12v power and ground from the trailer plug wiring.  So in theory you could use this to add a switch in the bed if you really wanted instead of having to run a wire up to the cab.  

Do you remember which wires for the trailer plug? i plan on doing this with a relay to put a switch in the bed of the truck.

• 1 month later...