Adding GM factory trailer brake controller

1 hour ago, Ryno12 said:

There’s been numerous threads about this subject already.

It can’t be done. Your only option is to install an aftermarket controller.

This is true.  Unfortunately you can't add it later.

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

Go to your local gm dealer and ask them to install an aftermarket controller.  They stock gm endorsed controllers and install them on a frequent basis.

Exactly.  The GM-endorsed ones come with a harness that will make the connections easy, or go with the Tekonsha Prodigy which is a great controller that comes with a harness as well.  With aftermarket you won't have integration into the ABS and Sway Control like the factory one but again you don't have that option if your truck didn't come with it.

I’ll be adding the factory TBS to mine. Once I have the time. Lol.

I’ve got the modules ready to go (to get programming done) along with my cluster.

There are 2-3 modules, programming, and wiring.

The cost Factor along with the amount of work needed makes it the least desirable method.

But I’m gonna give the good ol college try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I wish someone would make a controller that plugs into the factory GM dash switch. That way, if your truck never came with factory TBC, you could add an aftermarket controller but utilize a factory switch for a cleaner look.
You’d still need some sort of display as the DIC wouldn’t be of any use though...

There’s one in the parts catalog takes like 30 minutes to install

https://www.gmpartsnow.com/oem-parts/gm-trailering-brake-controller-pkg-19330154/?c=Zz10cmFpbGVyaW5nJnM9aGl0Y2gmYT1jaGV2cm9sZXQmbz1zaWx2ZXJhZG8tMTUwMCZ5PTIwMTUmdD1sdCZlPTUtM2wtdjgtZmxleA%3D%3D

You can’t add the integrated controller because it’s integrated unless your pgamboa of course.

GM is of the opinion of if you wanted it you should have ordered/bought it that way and they have been for years  this isn’t anything new...

If you want a aftermarket on the dash like the integrated here is a thread with some different ones

thread with some ideas for you on location and controller options.

Also trucks that come without the integrated are supposed to come with the pigtail to wire an aftermarket up so no need to spend 20 bucks on one.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/14/2018 at 11:32 AM, pgamboa said:

I’ve got the modules ready to go (to get programming done) along with my cluster.

The cost Factor along with the amount of work needed makes it the least desirable method.

Hey Phil,

Have you attempted this yet, and can it be done to a 2014? What kind of cost are you talking about?

Thanks

Jim

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47297-INSIGHT-Brake-Control/dp/B00C5THYIK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1546989492&sr=8-8&keywords=trailer+brake+controller

I use one of these... I mounted the slider where the OEM controller would be... much cheaper and easier than trying to add the OEM controller.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought the bezel with the brake controller off EBAY thinking I could add the controller to my 2018 Silverado.    Like everyone else I found out the

hard way the automated trailer brake system will not work.  I did not want one of the large ugly add on Brake Controllers that bolt onto the dash. I 

found a really  nice one the REDAC PRO ELITE.  I took the bezel I bought and used it by gutting the lower part of the switch.  Made a new front cover 

using a PC Case.  I made a outer cover over the lower part of the switch.  Then a inner   cover  tracing the inner part of the switch case, then gluing 

them to together using E6000 Glue.  YDSCN1334.thumb.JPG.3e883216f381bdf1e30dcfa6e7302184.JPGou have to grind down the front of the original switch front to allow it to clip in place with the new (PC Case)

front cover.  Mounted the control head on the new cover (you have to center and drill hose).  Mounted the controller on the front case of the brake

controller plug in box.  Plugged everything together and went on down the road.  Almost looks factory and is proportional and manual.  

DSCN1336.JPG

DSCN1337.JPG

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2018 at 2:32 PM, pgamboa said:

Did you ever get around to installing the factory brake controller?

Did you ever get around to installing the factory brake controller?

Nope. Not yet. Module still with WAMS. No free time :(

• Sad 2