Push To Talk button on steering wheel - Info

Push to Talk Button Operation

Posted on July 8, 2018 by blogadmin

The push to talk button on the steering wheel (Fig. 9) is used to answer an incoming call or activate voice recognition with the infotainment system on some GM models. However, on other models without built-in voice recognition, the push to talk button will only connect to OnStar or the voice recognition of a connected mobile phone.

F09-p-button.pngFig. 9

2018-2019 Sonic, Trax, Terrain; and 2019 Encore, Regal, Camaro, Colorado, Cruze, Equinox, Malibu, Silverado, Canyon and Sierra models equipped with Infotainment 3 systems (RPO IOR) do not have voice recognition capability with the infotainment system. The voice recognition commands are dependent on the phone paired to the vehicle. The push to talk button will answer OnStar hands-free calls. This is normal operation for the IOR infotainment system.

In addition, it may appear that USB names cannot be deleted from the infotainment display after a USB drive has been removed from the USB port. The infotainment system displays the last three sources on the audio screen, such as AM, FM, SiriusXM, a Bluetooth device streaming music, or a USB drive. (Fig. 10) The last three sources used will be listed even after the source is removed from the system. The name of a USB drive that was connected will be removed from the audio screen after three other audio sources are selected, such as AM, FM, SiriusXM, etc.

Nice feature.  I'm not clear what this post is in response to but I'll add an observation.  I find that I have far greater success with the voice recognition feature when I talk in my normal speaking voice than when I sound like I'm trying to make a point with a belligerent teen.  I discovered this out of frustration and now when I hear someone shouting or talking baby talk to a voice recognition device, I say "talk normal".  It works almost every time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...

I know this is a old post but I have a problem and looking info. I have a 2016 Slilverado I have a android phone its hooked to bluetooth and for

Some reason I could the push to talk and Google would come on now it doesnt work. I push the push to talk and its the command please. I drove alot so it was perfect to use the push to talk for voice texting and I dont have the voice text ever since I lost Google. Any help would be great thanks.

I know this is a old post but I have a problem and looking info. I have a 2016 Slilverado I have a android phone its hooked to bluetooth and for
 Some reason I could the push to talk and Google would come on now it doesnt work. I push the push to talk and its the command please. I drove alot so it was perfect to use the push to talk for voice texting and I dont have the voice text ever since I lost Google. Any help would be great thanks.
You have your phone connected and Android auto running?

And as always... Enjoy your ride!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Massbass413 said:

You need to hold the button to make it use Google or Siri on Apple. A brief press only uses the vehicles system. 

• Like 1

You need to hold the button to make it use Google or Siri on Apple. A brief press only uses the vehicles system. 
If you are connected with a wire and using Android Auto, it automatically chooses Google. It's good to know that I can use the button and not have my phone tethered to the truck!

Not sure about android,  but with Apple, it works different when plugged in versus Bluetooth.  When using Bluetooth it works as you describe.  Not sure but it sounds like something got screwed up.  When plugged in, in can work like it does with Bluetooth but once it shifts to Apple play (Android play in your case?) then everything works different.  As was said, then you need to hold the button down longer.  

Like others have mentioned you may have to long press. If that's not working, you may need to resync how the action is processed on the phone. With phone on and connected via Bluetooth, long press the button. You sound see a dialog on phone asking which app to process the action with. Select and choose the "Always" option. If that was the issue you should be good.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Which app do I need for this to work?

Edited by Massbass413
Sending error

On 3/17/2019 at 9:12 AM, MikeNH said:

.. I've owned this truck since August and never knew this! Thanks for the info :thumbs:

On 3/17/2019 at 8:30 AM, xMEATxHAMMERx said:

I'm connected bluetooth and I do not have the android auto

On 3/17/2019 at 8:30 AM, xMEATxHAMMERx said:

You have your phone connected and Android auto running?

• 2 years later...