285/45R22 Tire choice is limited, any real usage recomendations?

• 1 year later...

I just put on some 285/45r22s with a drop, believe its about a 2/4 drop on the 2002 silverado 1500.  I did run into some issues with rubbing due to some old worn out button grommets that hold on the wheel wells and behind the driver side tire the parking brake not being in the stock location pushing the wheel well forward enough to rub.  its a 1/2 - 3/4 inch gap when everything is buttoned down in its intended position after the truck has been lowered.

I like it, the 285 width looks just right on a 9.5" width BOSS 344's.

I have the Goodyear Fortera SL tires in 285/45R22. I’m on my second summer with them. They are not a great all season tire, but I live in Canada and have Michelin Xice tires for winter, so it didn’t matter to me. Price was much less than the Nitto Terra Grappler (which I had previously and I highly recommend them).

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Fortera+SL+Edition&partnum=845HR2FORTSLXL

I just got a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s installed in 285/45/r22 a few weeks ago and they have been great. I think they look better then the stock tires, no difference in road noise and seem to be better in the rain. They are 3 peak mountain rated but won't be running them in the snow as I have snow tires.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

I manage a large tire/auto shop and based on what you are after go with the Michelin Defender LTX MS in the stock size, highly highly recommend that if you want a really solid all season that is quiet and will last.

If you want something a little more aggressive...

1. Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - Still a P metric so you would won't kill mileage and seem to be one of the quieter all terrain options. 

2. Falken Wildpeak AT3W - Same deal as the Nitto, have had a lot good feed back on it. 

Some other all terrains I'd look into would be the new Toyo Open Country AT3 or the General Grabber APT. I don't have enough/any experience with these yet - just based on the initial reviews have been. 

But if you want quiet, comfort, longevity... basically the whole package. Go with the Michelin Defender. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Dinner
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 8:45 AM, kylant said:

this size tire sucks. there is a very limited supply. 

the only one I have found that may work for you is the nitto terra grappler g2.

i am in a similar situation. 

i am looking at 20" wheels for the simple fact there are many more tires to choose from

Sure there are more 20" options but I wouldn't say there's a limited supply on the 285/45R22. 35-40 solid options available 

11 hours ago, Dinner said:

Sure there are more 20" options but I wouldn't say there's a limited supply on the 285/45R22. 35-40 solid options available 

this post was from 2.5 years ago. i am sure there are more tires available now👍🏻

• 2 years later...
On 8/12/2018 at 11:03 PM, DrewSal said:

Edit these are the 285/55/22 not 45s

Wheel.jpg

I have the exact same truck and want to go to the 285/55/22 instead of the 285/45/22. What are the brand and model of the tires on your truck? 

4 minutes ago, Daddy1500 said:

I have the exact same truck and want to go to the 285/55/22 instead of the 285/45/22. What are the brand and model of the tires on your truck? 

these are Nitto TerraGrappler G2s on GM CK-158 chrome replicas. Post pics when you get them mounted, not many of these setups on here. 

4 minutes ago, DrewSal said:

Ok cool,I will post my existing setup today and my new setup when I buy them.... Did you have to place spacers on the rims or can you make a u turn without them rubbing?

1 minute ago, Daddy1500 said:

No spacers. A bit of trimming needed at the inside and back of wheel well. One side still runs slightly at full lock.