Rear Air Bags

Heading to Sturgis this year and towing my dad's 26' toy hauler with (2) bikes.  The trailer weights 5,300 lbs empty with the bikes and gear should end up around 7,500 lbs.  Thinking about installing the Firestone Ride Rite air bags (link below) in the rear of my 2016 Double-Cab 1500 4x4.  Is this this a good plan or is the truck equipped well enough from the factory to handle this towing set-up?

http://riderite.com/Ride-Rite Product Detail

It wouldn't hurt to have them.  I have a max trailering Silverado which has heavier rate rear springs and I tow my steel open car trailer and race car.  With spares, tools, luggage, tires, etc I am at about 7000-7500lbs total load.  I installed the Firestone bags before ever towing first with this truck, and even with the heavier springs I had to add about 15-20psi to level the truck back out.  I would imagine the air bags would be more useful on a non- max tow spec truck, or if you ever load up that trailer with more stuff.  I plan to move to an enclosed trailer eventually so the bags will be more useful down the road.

41693217835_85569b6c78_k.jpgIMG_20180601_140227534_HDR[1] by Mike Kubiak, on Flickr

42108758441_1f212a03c9_k.jpgIMG_20180511_164047901 by Mike Kubiak, on Flickr

42108753941_0da488cbf2_k.jpgIMG_20180511_181329473 by Mike Kubiak, on Flickr

I went with these http://timbren.com/blog/products-page/gmrck15s/ Timbren SESs on my 015 after I hauled my 3/4 ton with the blade on home 45 miles on my 20’ car hauler and decided “this sux!” (kinda overloaded just a bit) I don’t haul much weight with the 1/2 ton so even though I would absolutely have loved to bagged it I couldn’t justify the expense, maintenance, and potential problems of air. Have hauled the car trailer loaded since several times with them installed and in my situation this was the way to go trailer is a full tilt weighs in around 2k empty and have had a 4500k vehicle on it. Haul my utility trailer with my side x side and it’s almost exactly the same as before the Timbrens (it never squatted to begin with). Install is silly simple, easily reversible, they don’t ride as nice as a proper air set up will but IMO it’s definitely not harsh or bad, and  unloaded only time I know they are there is on a highway I drive everyday there is a dip I hit and they’ll touch the axle (it’s a 55 road and I’m doing 70).

These are another brand of these, Sumosprings might be worth checking out. I’m using these on the front of the 3/4 ton for the plow, only reason I did these instead of Timbrens was on that truck the Sumos are a little taller and the weight rating was higher. I’m also content with them.

I've had timbrens on the back and I hated how it rode when empty. It would bump off the stops over too many road bumps. I took them off and got helper springs. I do have the front timbrens for my plow, but those are always loaded, so no bumping. Just my 2 cents.

But, I would not go to the trouble and expense of installing airbags for a once a year haul. If the toy hauler has ample tie-downs you can position the bikes so all the weight isn't in the front of the trailer. If you put 10% weight on the tongue, which is recommended, your truck will have no problems and no need for suspension aids.

Archived