Auxillary power junction box

I am getting quite a few accessories on my truck that connect direct to the positive cable on the battery. It is starting to look like a porcupine! I am sure that there has to be a better way. Is there any way to add a junction box of some kind that accessories  can be connected to instead of hooking them to the positive terminal clamp? I am not sure what the terminology would be search for such an item.

You can get a power distribution block like this. https://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-products/smd-double-led-meter-single-din-kit-1119.html or without the volt meter https://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-products/smd-quad-color.html

They are meant for high amperage power wires though and not something like tiny 12ga wire leads.

There are at least 3 main circuits with a main wire to the positive terminal of the battery
1) alternator to battery
2) battery to starter
3) battery to fuse box

The jump point that you identified is separated from the battery to reduce the likelihood of a spark igniting fumes from a cracked battery.

You could connect to it and mount the distribution block on the fender wall. Rather than have a hanging wire between engine and firewall that might get engaged, I would connect a single primary distribution wire directly to the battery and snake it around the fender wall. For side post, they make a longer post that would accept a large primary loop wire. Top mount, there are after market clamps with extra bolts for wires.

(BMW and some other mfgs even have special devices that mount on top of the battery, connected to the positive that provide a distribution block function)

• 2 weeks later...

What gauge wire should I use to connect the junction box to the battery? Is 10 big enough? I also thought about putting a circut breaker between them but do not know hat AMP to choose. The only things hooked into the junction box are going to be LED, fog lights, LED bed lights and air horn compressor.

Uugh, it depends:

You need the total wattage of all the components

Calculate amp as A = Total Watts / Volts. Then add another 50-100% for future and power variability (12v vs 14.4).

Use total total amp and wire length and material to calculate wire size (plenty of tables and calculators out there).

10awg would likely be fine for the lights, don't know about that amp requirement for the air horn.

Archived