Hey Forum,

Regarding the oil drain plug on the 2014 5.3L, is anyone using aftermarket magnetic plugs?  What about a magnetic oil filter sleeve, or both?  Just curious because last weekend I changed the fluid in my front & rear differentials, and transfer case - all of which have magnetic plugs on them.  However, none of of them have filters so, I assume adding a magnetic drain plug or filter sleeve would not make much difference since that is what the oil filter is for.  Again, just curious to see everyone's thoughts!

37 minutes ago, btj_z71 said:

Hey Forum,

Regarding the oil drain plug on the 2014 5.3L, is anyone using aftermarket magnetic plugs?  What about a magnetic oil filter sleeve, or both?  Just curious because last weekend I changed the fluid in my front & rear differentials, and transfer case - all of which have magnetic plugs on them.  However, none of of them have filters so, I assume adding a magnetic drain plug or filter sleeve would not make much difference since that is what the oil filter is for.  Again, just curious to see everyone's thoughts!

Yes, I use the Dimple plug magnetic.....only one to buy!  It is 12x9.75 size don't quote me though can't remember.

40 minutes ago, btj_z71 said:

Hey Forum,

Actually, I use the Filter Mag brand 2piece set for Filters too......I just did apples to apples comparison on 5.3L Break in engine and 3.6L both GDI's and the amount of Paste stuck on the walls of the steel filter case after 1st oil change both @ 1000miles was very significant.  So the particles are so small on break in which you are FAR PAST is really my concern and when it's needed the most.  But the filters mag do work well too...........

I put a Fumoto style drain on my '17 & plan to add a filter magnet.  Oil changes are a lot easier to manage & less messy now. 

My previous 06 had a magnetic drain plug & usually had a bit of fine metal spooge on it at each oil change. Was surprised my 17' had no magnet on the drain plug. 

6 minutes ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

I put a Fumoto style drain on my '17 & plan to add a filter magnet.  Oil changes are a lot easier to manage & less messy now. 

My previous 06 had a magnetic drain plug & usually had a bit of fine metal spooge on it at each oil change. Was surprised my 17' had no magnet on the drain plug. 

I have yet to rip a oil pan off the ecotec3's do they have a internal magnet?  Not sure hopefully I never have to replace mine........

I have the Fumoto drain valve on mine. I went to Home Desperate and bought a couple of packs of rare earth magnets and stick them to the bottom of the oil filter. I am sure they grab anything that goes by and hold to it. I haven't cut a filter to inspect yet but it is cheaper than a filter mag.

Thanks for the replies!  I decided to add the Dimple magnetic oil drain plug.  They also have magnets for the filter but I did not get those.  Curious to see how much the plug gets and will find out during the oil change. 

Side note for those curious: I used AMSOIL signature series 0w-20 this time along with the AMSOIL oil filter.

Fumoto, the appeal of magnetic never really held weight to me. Any shavings that get close enough to get stuck on that magnet are bound to rest down there anyway. Either way, the convenience of the fumoto is worth any exaggerated risk. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived