Keys banging against steering column

Hey guys,

Just bought a low mileage 2015 Silverado crew cab LTZ.  I have had a bunch of trucks before, but this is my first Silverado.  One thing that has annoyed the hell out of me so far, is the fact that the fob/house key/etc. sway back and forth while driving, creating a tapping/smacking sound on the plastic steering column.

Does anyone have any proven ways to absorb/get rid of that noise? I bought some adhesive felt tonight and cut it into little rectangles. Placed it where the fob had been banging against the column, and it seems to work fine.  Not sure how long it will hold up/the adhesive will stick, but I figure it was worth the shot.

Anyone have any other ideas/mods to permanently get rid of the sound?

V3rZkwE.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

Take all the extra crap off the truck key.  Seriously.  The extra weight is not good for the ignition switch anyway.

I did that.  Took about 8 keys that are like barn keys, storage keys, duck camp keys, etc.  Now I just have my leather key chain, two house keys, the fob, and the ignition key.  Was still slapping the dash.

Yeah, that bugs me too.  I covered the whole area with black foam insulating tape.  The kind they use to insulate HVAC pipes.  Stayed put and is inconspicuous. 

image.thumb.png.bf040ba080a453f6d435ed15ba2db3fd.png

You can put a small patch of the loop part of some velcro on the column and spend about 5 bucks or so on a silicone cover for your fob. I only have the truck key on the ring. Nothing else. I pull in the garage and never use a key for the house. It stays in the console of my truck.

9 hours ago, jegreenwood14 said:

V3rZkwE.jpg

As previously suggested, check for many more suggestions on a recent thread on this topic.  Your steering column does not need to look like this!

Get rid of all those extra key rings,  just all your items on  the goldish colored one for the leather key chain.

Make sure when you use the ignition key, the leather is against the column, and all the keys/fob stay on the other side.

They make rubber key fob covers, probably get them on amazon. My buddy puts adhesive Velcro on the back of his fob and the steering column so you can stick it to the side of the column. Works good, cost 50 cents. Only 1 key on my ring because jingles, rattles, creeks and tapping in a vehicle drive my OCD off the wall.  

See my build post. First thing I did was cut and stick foam around key location

I knew GM designers were stupid so i wasn’t surprised something stupid like this would show up with my first GM product in 24 years. Uh keyless/go/push button please. #idiots

still like the truck though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, they’re made and shipped from China. Never trust these sales types, junk and toxic materials!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived