Ranch Truck Cap / Topper Issues for 2018 GMC Sierra

I posted this in the bed cover topic, but that was all about tonneau covers.  I have a question on anyone with a topper.  I got a Ranch Icon topper with keyless entry put on a few weeks ago and I'm not happy with it.  Here are my issues:

1. The fitment isn't very good.  The rear of the topper is tight to the truck like a glove, but as it approaches the front of the cab, it flares out about 1/2" (pic attached), so it's outside the profile of the truck and I think it looks tacky.  Ranch says it is normal, the vendor says that the boxes on the 2014-2018 trucks varies a lot and that is why, but I don't buy it.

2. The vendor did a pretty poor install job on the harnesses, they spliced into my bed lighting wiring with compression splices and there was a wire just hanging down in the bed where most of the others were routed inside the bed rail.

3. I went to fix the wiring and put it in split loom to look better and when I lifted it up, I noticed the paint down the bed rail was chipped off where the topper met the bed in 4 or 5 spots, some over an inch long (pic attached).  This really makes me mad because I don't plan to run a topper all the time and now my bed will surely rust if it isn't fixed.

4. The latch for the cap wouldn't fully engage on the left side (there are 2 stages to the latch, wouldn't get to the second stage).  I brought it in and they fiddled with it and now that works, but it seems like that should work from the factory... (pic attached)

5. Water was leaking in.  I know they may not be completely water tight, but it was pretty bad, dripping all down the cab side rail and in from the tailgate.  When I took it in for the latch they put a couple more layers of cap tape on it to seal it better.

So my questions are, for those of you running truck caps, which one do you have and do you have any fitment or quality issues?  Are they nice and snug?  Did your cap damage the paint at all?

I'm going to call them and I'm thinking I'll return this thing if they will allow it.  If they don't, I guess I'll be stuck taking legal action.  And I need to get this paint fixed and they are going to pay for it.

IMG_20180608_161229096_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180626_205352091.jpg

IMG_20180608_223136202.jpg

sounds like the installer was terrible. I don't have much experience with Ranch, but i can tell you in the SE they are the cheapest option out there. I'm running an ARE on my truck. i have the same issues as you with the fitment on the bedsides.

I ended up picking up a used topper for $600 and painting it to match. I couldn't bring myself to drop over $2k for what i wanted. i knew i wasn't going to be happy with it on the truck all the time anyway.

I highly doubt they will allow you to return it. i think your best bet it to call Ranch directly and let them know your issues. if they are a half decent company they will take care of you.

Definitely unacceptable on all points.  I have a Century brand topper.  It fits well and the install experience was good.  The crap about boxes being different is why you can't buy a canopy off the shelf.  Are you sure your supplier ordered the right canopy for your model of truck?  

man that sucks.. you have any pictures of the side of your truck with the capper on?

i agree with the above.. call the company direct with your issues.. i'd email them the pics as well... if they are worth anything.. like said above,  they should take care of you.

Edited by Crstfr

I did ask specifically if the serial number for it was correct for my truck and Ranch didn't answer it directly, but said it was how it was supposed to fit the truck.  If I can't get a good fit with a topper I might go for either a tri-fold cover or one that doesn't wrap around the edges.

I'll snap a pic from the side and post it when I get a chance, too.

Rule #1 ALL toppers are not the same!

Rule #2 All Installers are not the same!

Take that crap back and lesson Learned....Only reputable LEER,ARE,SNUGTOP INSTALLERS ONLY.  Yes, your gonna pay more but they are worth it and the installer is KEY

I have a ranch cap on my truck, it's the same Sierra edition. 

Mine has the same problem where towards the cab it sticks out a bit. I also have it leaking a tiny bit of water in the rear most part where the glass window is. If it's super windy and pouring outside I get a little water that leaks in from the side windows.

The previous owner of my truck had the cap installed and used foam window weather stripping on the ledge where the cap meets the bed rails and the back of the bed where the cab is. I scratched the paint of my truck a bit when I was picking up the cap and moving it towards the rear of the truck so I could clean the window surface between the cap and the cab. What I found is that it isn't a problem with the cap but rather the bed of the truck. When I was sliding the cap to the tailgate I noticed that the gap you see when the cap is normally installed at the front gets smaller and smaller the more you put the cap towards the rear of the truck. It seems like the factory bed on these trucks is a tiny bit smaller towards the front and larger at the rear.

I myself am fine with the size difference in the cap but for the leaking one of these days i'm going to take the rear window and the high mount stop light out and use silicone to seal it and not the foam weatherstripping they used at the factory.

For the harness my cap when I bought the truck used was not wired properly. The white led that illuminates the bed was hooked up to the ground wire of the left turn signal and my CHMSL was wired to the left turn signal as well. I think it looks stupid when a truck is turning and the high mount stop light blinks as well so I re-wired the harness so that the 2 wires that are for the cab light are tapped into the side lights of my bed and that the 2 wires for the high mount stop light are wired to the high mount stop light wire underneath the truck just inside where the trailer harness connector is.

The only thing I cannot figure out how to do easily is remove the side windows so I can take the glass out and clean the track. My one window on the drivers side is very hard to slide (I rarely slide them anyway but still) and my passenger slides easy. I also want to get a tailgate seal for the factory tailgate on the truck so I have even less chance of water intrusion. I'm not expecting it to be totally water proof but it would be nice for some resistance in water intrusion.

I forgot to add, I also modified the locks on the window. Being I live in Buffalo, NY where we put a metric shit ton of salt on the road in the winter and it corrodes everything my locks for the window were seized up on me in the spring. I removed the lock handles for the glass and went to my bench vice and pounded out the shaft for the lock and removed the cylinder and turned it 180 degrees. Mine from the factory had the pins for the keys facing upwards which is pretty retarded since any dirt and rain would enter the lock and sit on the pins for the cylinder and make it seize like mine did. My locks are now facing downwards so that when I put the key in the tumblers are facing down to the bumper and my key has to have the cut part facing upwards to unlock the handles. I will see how long this modification lasts next winter since i've only had my truck for a year now.

@kickass audio thanks for the details!  Could you snap a pic of the overhang and how it flares out toward the front? I'm just curious for comparison with mine.

If the beds are tapered like that, wouldn't they taper the cap slightly to match it? Or bring it all in and have the ability to flex it outore towards the back where you have some play?  Just a thought, I think I'll see what happens here, I set up an appointment for Tuesday to bring it in.

So correction, mine is more than likely just slightly off angle as it is a little wider towards the rear on my drivers side and it's a steady opening on the passenger side.

The reason for it to not be a perfect fit is they use this cap for multiple vehicles not just the silverado/sierra. Also fiberglass doesn't really bend for this type of resin that was used. If you try to bend it, the fiberglass resin will crack.

20180628_135819_1.jpg

20180628_135731.jpg

Here is how my keys open up the handles now:

20180628_135744.jpg

20180628_135721.jpg

@Dr Awesome how does your cap look on the other side? I centered mine as best as I could and it's sticking out a little more on the drivers side rear than the passenger side. I didn't use a hoist or anything to pick up the cap though. I just unbolted the 4 hold down clamps for it and got in the bed and stood up with the cap on my back and walked it towards the rear of the truck about 2 feet so I could get in between the cap and the cab to wash and wax that area. I need to do it again but I haven't cleaned my truck yet this summer. I'm slacking from working on the house.

For other members, how many windows are tinted on your cap? All of the windows on mine are tinted and I can barely see a damn thing in the rearview mirror at night. The trucks rear window and the 2 windows you would look through are tinted on the cap so it's super dark. I am fine with it since I barely ever use the mirror inside and mainly use my outside mirrors since I'm used to not having an inside mirror as my previous truck had a sound system in it and the mirror kept breaking off the window so I gave up using it.

Edited by kickass audio

27 minutes ago, Donstar said:

These toppers are specifically made for a the various models of trucks.  There is nothing "universal" about their fit.  Mine definitely fits like it was made for my truck.Canopy1.thumb.jpg.f41c19b2a93efced9b4e9ab367d48d3d.jpgCanopy1b.thumb.jpg.57c65059f324b80c0b14374fb47062bd.jpgCanopy1c.thumb.jpg.934591ff187aa7840ce2f23e6b108cef.jpg

Remember when you contemplating get a Topper Donstar?  Looks good I bet your glad you got one too!  Once you go topper you never go back!

23 minutes ago, Donstar said:

These toppers are specifically made for a the various models of trucks.  There is nothing "universal" about their fit.  Mine definitely fits like it was made for my truck.

Looks like an excellent fit. Blends right in. I think the OP should really put up a fuss with the manufacturer for the lousy fit and the installer for the paint damage. That just isn't right. Even the "cheaper" caps are expensive.

2 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Remember when you contemplating get a Topper Donstar?  Looks good I bet your glad you got one too!  Once you go topper you never go back!

Yes I do!  I'm sure glad I didn't experience anything like Op!