8 hours ago, DONWT15 said:

I have that exact size with black factory wheels. They do look good, but "comfortable" is not the word I would use. Passable fits better but they run smooth without vibration and handle well enough at 32 to 33 PSI. Any more pressure than that and it gets to riding like a buckboard. 

wheel.jpg

Thanks! Glad yours is riding well!

Thanks! Yeah once I hit 70mph the truck is shaking so bad..... 

My 14 WITH 275/55/20 did that, switched out all shock, went with Bilstein 5100’s then Michelin LTX, went away. There are a few things that were recalled on them but got rid of it and then went with my DMax and now absolutely love my 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look good! My offset may be throwing it off some though. I’d like a taller tire like that.
6FD513AF-2FA2-4B06-A6F5-5F0A236113F7.thumb.jpeg.755e6d7d132eec324c894f019e5b536b.jpeg
EBC1ACA1-55C5-463A-B73F-39ABAEABEFC9.thumb.jpeg.b29fb7f3579b00ef6501e0674f520085.jpeg

Yeah, having more meat on the tire seems to be the way to go. I may go from a 275/60/20 D rated to a 275/65/20 E rated, wish they were C rated lol but also ordered my new Fox Shocks all the way around apparently back ordered till next week.

8 hours ago, Donstar said:

I once thought that 20's with a 55 aspect would be like wagon wheels until I experienced my daughter-in-law's Yukon XL and my son's High Country both with factory 20's.  I believe premium quality highway tires on 20's will give a nice ride and wouldn't hesitate to have these on my own truck.  Unfortunately, changing tires and wheels is not as simple as  trying on shoes. I was able to try the different sized rims with similar tires on similar vehicles.  If I relied solely on what I read and didn't have this recent experience I too would be anti-20".

"Highway" tires may very well ride nicely. The tread pattern is a lot less aggressive than most of the tires these trucks come with.

They're  3 season tires if you get any serious snow.

I don't think it's really a case of being anti-20 inch wheels, more a case of narrow sidewalls riding rougher than wide sidewalls.

Edited by DONWT15

"Highway" tires may very well ride nicely. The tread pattern is a lot less aggressive than most of the tires these trucks come with.
They're  3 season tires if you get any serious snow.

I love my BFG KO2’s! Next week I’m going to throw on some bigger KO2’s which should improve the ride. The Yukon XL is a different story, do they still make the Michelin LTX? The defenders ride really rough for being Michelin’s.

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Yeah, having more meat on the tire seems to be the way to go. I may go from a 275/60/20 D rated to a 275/65/20 E rated, wish they were C rated lol but also ordered my new Fox Shocks all the way around apparently back ordered till next week.

That is a really good looking tire and wheel set up in your picture.

More sidewall would help the harsh ride some people experience. The vibration you have at 70 mph, if you didn't have it before, is likely the tires or wheel balance issues.

• Thanks 1

That is a really good looking tire and wheel set up in your picture.
More sidewall would help the harsh ride some people experience. The vibration you have at 70 mph, if you didn't have it before, is likely the tires or wheel balance issues.

Thanks if you’re talking about my setup but I’m not having vibrations at any speed. I have a much harsher ride but soon to change with same tire just a bit taller.

Here’s what I’m switching the Yukon’s tires to, getting rid of the harsh riding Defenders and going with Michelin Premier LTX, should be a much softer ride with very excellent performance in wet and dry.

f369ac51d2cdcf43de9a1dc8a9645415.png

30 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Here’s what I’m switching the Yukon’s tires to, getting rid of the harsh riding Defenders and going with Michelin Premier LTX, should be a much softer ride with very excellent performance in wet and dry.

f369ac51d2cdcf43de9a1dc8a9645415.png

Sorry, think I mixed you up with someone else on the vibration deal.

That LTX is a highway tread. Pretty much useless here in the snow belt. We average 180 inches of snow from November to April (those in the upper Great Lakes and Canada get more. It's an hour to the Canadian border from here). Truck wouldn't get out of it's own way with that kind of pattern.

7 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I love my BFG KO2’s! Next week I’m going to throw on some bigger KO2’s which should improve the ride. The Yukon XL is a different story, do they still make the Michelin LTX? The defenders ride really rough for being Michelin’s.

I bought my Defenders because of my past experience with the LTX MS2/LTX MS series of tires.  I read that the Defenders were an improved version.  When I first replaced my factory Bridgestones with the Defenders, there wasn't the "wow" factor like my previous switches but I simply attributed this to the fact that the Bridgestone was also a smooth running tire. Maybe Defenders are a rougher tire than the MS2's.   I have found them a great all year round tire and very good in the snow.   Another type of Michelin may be the answer and I notice they still offer the LTX MS2 in the 275/55/20 size.  I would suggest giving Michelin a call and explain your concerns.  They could possibly make your call worthwhile and give you a coupon or something to help you with a new purchase. You could also check at your place of purchase.  My son-in-law swears by Pirelli tires on 20's for his Navigator but not a fair comparison as I do not know first hand how it handled without Pirelli's.  Tire technology has improved to a point where I believe light truck tires with an aspect ratio of 55 on a 275 width can meet the expectations of truck owners with smaller rim sizes.    Many of us recall thinking 16" rims were big on a 1/2 ton and I believe now 20's are the new norm.

I bought my Defenders because of my past experience with the LTX MS2/LTX MS series of tires.  I read that the Defenders were an improved version.  When I first replaced my factory Bridgestones with the Defenders, there wasn't the "wow" factor like my previous switches but I simply attributed this to the fact that the Bridgestone was also a smooth running tire. Maybe Defenders are a rougher tire than the MS2's.   I have found them a great all year round tire and very good in the snow.   Another type of Michelin may be the answer and I notice they still offer the LTX MS2 in the 275/55/20 size.  I would suggest giving Michelin a call and explain your concerns.  They could possibly make your call worthwhile and give you a coupon or something to help you with a new purchase. You could also check at your place of purchase.  My son-in-law swears by Pirelli tires on 20's for his Navigator but not a fair comparison as I do not know first hand how it handled without Pirelli's.  Tire technology has improved to a point where I believe light truck tires with an aspect ratio of 55 on a 275 width can meet the expectations of truck owners with smaller rim sizes.    Many of us recall thinking 16" rims were big on a 1/2 ton and I believe now 20's are the new norm.

I posted these last night, Michelin defenders rode very well in my 3/4 ton trucks and my my half tons. The Yukon is a different story, it’s our first two wheel drive SUV, the norm has always been 4X4. It came with the continentals and road super smooth but I wanted something a bit more trustworthy so that’s why I outfitted it with new defenders, at first I thought ok, needs some breaking in, nope! They’re now with 20K on them and they’re super rough. Thought about switching out the shocks like I’m doing on my 1500 but I don’t like it when my wife gives me that look along with don’t touch my Yukon lol.

Here’s the pic I put on last night of the Michelin LTX I’m looking at switching to this week. Btw, I’ve got this OCD thing about tires, started every since my daughters were born, new ones every year to year and a half. I trade them in.

21db15d45e54b949d640ff0991b6d06d.png

• Thanks 1

That LTX is a highway tread. Pretty much useless here in the snow belt. We average 180 inches of snow from November to April (those in the upper Great Lakes and Canada get more. It's an hour to the Canadian border from here). Truck wouldn't get out of it's own way with that kind of pattern.

I totally agree with you, these are going on my wife’s 2WD Yukon XL, it’ll never see snow and if it does it’ll be light. I took another 4X4 up to Colorado with another 4X4 SUV and did great with these same tires but not good at all once you hit a patch of ice. This is primarily for long distance trips in dry or wet weather in southern US but never snow areas

13 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I totally agree with you, these are going on my wife’s 2WD Yukon XL, it’ll never see snow and if it does it’ll be light. I took another 4X4 up to Colorado with another 4X4 SUV and did great with these same tires but not good at all once you hit a patch of ice. This is primarily for long distance trips in dry or wet weather in southern US but never snow areas

Then those are probably ideal for your needs.

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

They’re now with 20K on them and they’re super rough. 

I would definitely bring this to the attention of my sales outlet and/or to Michelin. I buy my Michelins from Costco and they are good with customer satisfaction.  I once found a tire weight in my driveway where I normally park my truck.  Costco pulled all four wheels and re-balanced them to make sure it wasn't one of theirs and to make sure I was a satisfied customer.  With your experience with the Michelin brand I am confident your complaint will be taken seriously. You have nothing to lose and may gain a considerably good deal on a great set of new tires!

9 hours ago, DONWT15 said:

Yeah I lived in North Dakota for 1 year and Wyoming for 4 years, so im

very familiar with how messy the roads get up there lol! Luckily back home in Alabama, snow isn’t very common but it has caused some issues very few winters. I’ll definitely keep my new 2WD parked when it snows again down here!