So, I got me some new tires put on this past Tuesday at Discount Tire. Everything looked good, it was closing time for them and I was kind of in a rush to get home myself so I briefly looked over the wheels and tires and didn't notice right away. Come Wednesday, I washed my truck and that's when I noticed the small scratches on all four wheels. :fume:  I call them and talk to the guy who helped me and he said to call the store and talk to the manager. They "might" pay to refinish them or possibly replace them he said. Anyone here have experience dealing with something like this from Discount Tire? I know for a fact they weren't there before because I baby my rims and keep them clean and have only removed them once myself and even then I was super cautious. I'm going to call the manager today to mention it to him, just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience or advice. 

My experience with discount tire has always been good, there’re all I use. The only issue I ever had was the now they insist on putting new tires on the back if you just buy two. My tires had gotten noisy and I was replacing the front tires. They still wanted to rotate the back to the front they were noisy too. They ended up warranty the back and I got 4 for the price of two. If there’s anyway they can see the possibility that they did it, they will fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before we moved to the mountains here in Colorado I used Discount Tire for years.

They scratched up a rim on the wife's car once but I caught it when they brought the car around after it was done and I went over the rims with the guy who drove it.

They replaced it.

I told the manager, who knew me " aren't you guys the pros at tires and wheels".

:)

I had this happen with my factory wheels on my F150.  They used the wrong pry bar on my center caps scratching all 4 wheels, greenhorn I bet. First and foremost, do not be an a-hole to them.  DT is a great company to work with on this and they WILL work with you on a resolution.  

They first offered to refinish my wheels which required them to keep my truck for a day.  They would remove, repair, reinstall right on site.  That wasn't going to happen with my schedule so then they offered to order replacement wheels and swap out my scratched wheels with the reconditioned wheels free of charge.  In this option, they will keep the rims they scratched. 

One word of advise, my stock wheels were machined face wheels, had a matte look but the "new" wheels they installed had a shiny clear coat sprayed on them.  Wasn't a huge deal as I bought Trophy's a month later BUT if you want exact wheels be sure to tell them you want apples to apples.  Went to reinstall these wheels before selling and the clear coat was starting to fail after sitting in a box in my crawlspace.  

Again, be nice and more importantly patient and they will help you out. 

Let me know if you have any questions about how I went about this with them. 

I just had Costco put 4qty tires on and they somehow managed to mash it up around the Valve Stem holes on my NICE CHROME CLAD PLASTIC WHEEL COVERS!  I don't even care I have a life to live and not waste my time on this horseshit!

I called and spoke to the manager who really nice about it. I didn't go all ape shit on him either, was nice and calm and he said to send him pictures so I did. Just waiting to hear back from him now on what they're gonna do. This is the first time I've ever had any problems with Discount and I've bought all my tires from them for all my vehicles. 

@duquephart yeah, you're right. That is exactly what the dealer would say and has said to us before with my wife's old car, 2017 Altima. It had a circular gouge right around the lug holes and they tried saying we did that, I was like WTF?! We went back and forth raising hell in the showroom and they wouldn't do anything. Long story short, car got totaled right before Harvey hit Houston and we bought a 2017 Accord Touring. Happy wife, happy life!! 

6 hours ago, 15BlueSilverado said:

I called and spoke to the manager who really nice about it. I didn't go all ape shit on him either, was nice and calm and he said to send him pictures so I did. Just waiting to hear back from him now on what they're gonna do. This is the first time I've ever had any problems with Discount and I've bought all my tires from them for all my vehicles. 

@duquephart yeah, you're right. That is exactly what the dealer would say and has said to us before with my wife's old car, 2017 Altima. It had a circular gouge right around the lug holes and they tried saying we did that, I was like WTF?! We went back and forth raising hell in the showroom and they wouldn't do anything. Long story short, car got totaled right before Harvey hit Houston and we bought a 2017 Accord Touring. Happy wife, happy life!! 

I once had a dealer tell me they wouldn't be able to do a regular oil change because the drain plug was rounded off. I'd need to pay for a new plug, blah, blah, blah. I pointed out that they were the only people to have ever touched the plug and I had the records to so prove. That's when the fun started.

Heading out there tomorrow morning so the manager can look at them. We'll see what happens. I really don't want them to get refinished cause I don't think they'll be the same after. I'd rather have them replaced either with the same wheels or something of equal value. But so far we've both been very cooperative and calm, nobody's been screaming or hollering which is good, I think. This wheel is the worst one and had to be done by them. All the other scratches on the other wheels all look the same too like they had a bad machine or something. 

Scratched wheel_06.jpg

Scratched wheel_02.jpg

Well, after speaking with the manager on Saturday, he's going to replace the wheels. Extremely nice guy and was easy to talk to. It may have helped that they had a floor full of customers going out the door too but who knows. I'm very satisfied with the outcome and customer service. 

That’s shows how they go beyond proof for customer satisfaction. Those scratches on the worst wheel could have easily been caused after the visit or before. Usually damage caused by the tire changing machine would be around the rims edge, center of the wheel or around the lug nuts.

41 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

That’s shows how they go beyond proof for customer satisfaction. Those scratches on the worst wheel could have easily been caused after the visit or before. Usually damage caused by the tire changing machine would be around the rims edge, center of the wheel or around the lug nuts.

Yes it does. And the other wheels did have scratches around the rims edge and the lug nuts, all of which were not there before. He basically said the same thing and even showed me the machine they use. He explained the whole process to me, how my wheels have to be mounted face down and all that. 

Archived