Volant Cold Air Intake

So after researching the most efficient ones, I ended up putting a Volant cold air intake on my 6.2 GMC. After test driving it and driving to work this morning I noticed it was really loud when half throttle to full throttle. It made me check my connections and make sure there wasn't a huge air leak anywhere. I've had countless cold air intakes over the years but never the Volant brand. I have the stock exhaust on it (for now) and it sounds just so loud. Not bad but louder than I was expecting. I guess that factory air chamber had a lot of baffles in it to keep it quiet. Has anyone else noticed this with any other intake? 

Intake.jpg

7 minutes ago, Squiderado said:

Is it noise from under the hood or is the exhaust note louder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its from under the hood. Its insane how much of a difference in noise there is. I also added a Superchips FlashCal to remove the 98MPH speed limiter. I took it off just to make sure it did not change anything else before reinstalling it.

3 minutes ago, goeb34 said:

Never had one on my old truck but put one on my 2014 6.2 and it is so loudddd but i loved it

Its insane how much of a difference there is. Im glad im not the only one 

1 minute ago, goeb34 said:

Yeah really, changed my exhaust so i never hear the intake anymore

That's weird. Is the exhaust just that loud or did opening the exhaust up some quieten the intake noise? What exhaust did you go with? Im on the fence on what I want. I want to hear the mighty 6.2 but dont want it that loud if that makes sense 

I don't have one on my GMC, but I had a Volant on a Nissan Frontier 4.0 V6 that I used to have. It made the V6 scream. Really opens up the airway. I paired it with an intake manifold spacer and it really made the engine sound better, even with a stock exhaust system.

Around christmas time i cut both mufflers off and resonator and put a y pipe to 4 inch tips then bout a month ago i went and cut the y pipe off and go true dual straights but kept my cats

1 hour ago, ray2005 said:

Just installed a S&B intake and it's a lot louder as well. The factory filter and tube provide a lot of noise cancelation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Silverado LTZ w/ NHT.

9b0431f4c18624ff913e8c95eb38fb1e.jpg

We have essentially the same setup. Im glad it wasnt just me. LOL 

I did the Airaid MIT tube with stock air box/filter on my 5.3 even that was very noticeable at 3/4 to full throttle with completely stock exhaust. Then couple months later did a 50 series Flowmaster in the stock location, resonator delete, and over the axle dump which IMO is a very mild exhaust system sound wise. The exhaust now drowns out the intake no matter how far I’m in the pedal I would guess the same would be true with the 6.2? Also I believe part of the reason CAIs seem “so loud” on these trucks is the fact these trucks are so much quieter than previous models. 

19 minutes ago, wforrest08 said:

I did the Airaid MIT tube with stock air box/filter on my 5.3 even that was very noticeable at 3/4 to full throttle with completely stock exhaust. Then couple months later did a 50 series Flowmaster in the stock location, resonator delete, and over the axle dump which IMO is a very mild exhaust system sound wise. The exhaust now drowns out the intake no matter how far I’m in the pedal I would guess the same would be true with the 6.2? Also I believe part of the reason CAIs seem “so loud” on these trucks is the fact these trucks are so much quieter than previous models. 

ditto.

I'll wait til my muffler rusts out to change to a flowmaster on this truck. I have the airaid MIT tube now, and I love the throaty sound only when I hammer on it. Otherwise still quiet as stock.

My last truck had K&N intake and flowmaster muffler with all else stock on the exhaust. the extra noise out the back kind of cancels the intake noise, but I definitely enjoy the resulting combination. I need it quiet enough that my wife doesn't complain when cruising on the highway, haha

I just installed the GM Performance Cold Air kit and it is louder.  It seems that my noise is coming from the front passenger fender area, it sounds like more air moving through it.

I am a little surprised as it is louder than I expected. 

Archived