Black Wheels With Graphite Metallic Paint Color?

Cross posting here too since I just found this helpful thread as I've been trying to find some posts with graphite and black wheels/tires.

I've had my 2018 Z71 LT Crew now for a bit over a year with about 13,000 miles and I am thinking of finally changing out my tires and wheels. Good thing is that with such low mileage, I was looking around and my tries can still fetch a few bucks and of course I'd be selling the current wheels. I currently have the Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT's, and these past few months I haven't felt like they have been that good in the rain and with winter on the way, plus I want to have a bit more aggressive looking tires/wheels especially in all black.

My current tires are a 265/65R18, I was going to go with some 20's but then I had a reply in another thread where the ride would be not smooth at all. I also plan to also get Katzkins installed later this Fall.

I'm considering the Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Terra Grapplers G2 and the Moto Metal Black MO970 or Vision Nemesis wheels.

This is my current setup.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

IMG_4976.jpg

Cross posting here too since I just found this helpful thread as I've been trying to find some posts with graphite and black wheels/tires.

I've had my 2018 Z71 LT Crew now for a bit over a year with about 13,000 miles and I am thinking of finally changing out my tires and wheels. Good thing is that with such low mileage, I was looking around and my tries can still fetch a few bucks and of course I'd be selling the current wheels. I currently have the Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT's, and these past few months I haven't felt like they have been that good in the rain and with winter on the way, plus I want to have a bit more aggressive looking tires/wheels especially in all black.

My current tires are a 265/65R18, I was going to go with some 20's but then I had a reply in another thread where the ride would be not smooth at all. I also plan to also get Katzkins installed later this Fall.

I'm considering the Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Terra Grapplers G2 and the Moto Metal Black MO970 or Vision Nemesis wheels.

This is my current setup.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
IMG_4976.thumb.jpg.0fb124019629e0bafc3112372fdf7cb7.jpg
I'm on my 3rd set of Nittos Terra G2s on 3 different trucks. Love them. I think you will too.

I might go with the Ridge Grapplers next time to mix it up a bit. I just like to keep the road noise down on the highway. 049ef8862bef02ade644ed0df29c8d28.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Smoothbassman said:

I'm on my 3rd set of Nittos Terra G2s on 3 different trucks. Love them. I think you will too.

I might go with the Ridge Grapplers next time to mix it up a bit. I just like to keep the road noise down on the highway. 049ef8862bef02ade644ed0df29c8d28.jpg

Thanks for the feedback on the Terra G2's, they seem to be a pretty popular tire.

That 2019 looks nice and so does your tires/wheels.

How are you liking the new ride compared to the K2 gen? I've been tempted a few times to trade for a T1, but know deep down inside best to just wait it out since my truck is a bit over a year old and has been a champ so far.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:54 PM, captainzombie said:

Thanks for the feedback on the Terra G2's, they seem to be a pretty popular tire.

That 2019 looks nice and so does your tires/wheels.

How are you liking the new ride compared to the K2 gen? I've been tempted a few times to trade for a T1, but know deep down inside best to just wait it out since my truck is a bit over a year old and has been a champ so far.

So I have about 3K miles on my truck and here's my assessment versus my last truck which was a 2014 High Country. 

Pros:
Fuel economy: Way better than my K2 on my commute I'm averaging 18.5 versus the 15.8 I used to get.

Payload: The bed is HUGE. I am able to put all of my families camping gear in there with room to spare.

Technology:  Better. Android Auto, trailering app, and cameras all great options to have. The HD backup camera is Crystal clear. Love that thing.

Keyless Access. Love the passive key setup. Never have to take the key out of my pocket. Truck locks automatically after I walk way. Love that feature. You never forget to lock it ever again. 

Ride is about the same on the highway as the K2, seems stiffer on the city streets though. I feel the rear end bouncing a bit more than my old truck. The spring rate is definitely different. 

Cons:
LED headlights are not as bright as the LED retrofit that I did on my projector lenses in my old truck. Looking for extra lighting options now.

Steering feel is a bit slower and the turning radius is bigger due to the longer wheelbase. I can't cut it as hard.

Trailering: I et more rear end compression on this truck versus my last. Had to raise my hitch up 2" to level her out the same on my 6500 pound enclosed Motorcycle Hauler. Also the active grade downshifting isn't as pronounced with the 8 speed transmission. I guess that's good. 

Lack of USB ports. My old truck had 5 up front. Now I'm down to 4. Also had two 12 Volt outputs up front as well. Now I'm down to 1

Stability Control seems to be less agressive, I can really get her spinning now before it kicks in.

Price: I paid just as much for this Trailboss today as I paid for my HC back in 2013. No way I was paying over 50K for a truck. That's just obsurd. Oh Well, ended up putting a lift on my old HC anyways so the Trailboss LT was the perfect fit for me. I couldn't run 285/60, 22" wheels another way. They wouldn't fit. 

I really wasn't looking at upgrading I was happy with my truck, then it got stolen so it forced me into buying a new one. Now I'm super happy. I like this one better than my old HC overall. 

OLD

post-132352-0-28424100-1434849364_thumb.jpg

NEW

20191004_184355.thumb.jpg.9dc97f683c61d395381f8e58432cff41.jpg

Edited by Smoothbassman
Update
  • Like 2

On 10/22/2019 at 7:39 PM, Smoothbassman said:

So I have about 3K miles on my truck and here's my assessment versus my last truck which was a 2014 High Country. 

Pros:
Fuel economy: Way better than my K2 on my commute I'm averaging 18.5 versus the 15.8 I used to get.

Payload: The bed is HUGE. I am able to put all of my families camping gear in there with room to spare.

Technology:  Better. Android Auto, trailering app, and cameras all great options to have. The HD backup camera is Crystal clear. Love that thing.

Keyless Access. Love the passive key setup. Never have to take the key out of my pocket. Truck locks automatically after I walk way. Love that feature. You never forget to lock it ever again. 

Ride is about the same on the highway as the K2, seems stiffer on the city streets though. I feel the rear end bouncing a bit more than my old truck. The spring rate is definitely different. 

Cons:
LED headlights are not as bright as the LED retrofit that I did on my projector lenses in my old truck. Looking for extra lighting options now.

Steering feel is a bit slower and the turning radius is bigger due to the longer wheelbase. I can't cut it as hard.

Trailering: I et more rear end compression on this truck versus my last. Had to raise my hitch up 2" to level her out the same on my 6500 pound enclosed Motorcycle Hauler. Also the active grade downshifting isn't as pronounced with the 8 speed transmission. I guess that's good. 

Lack of USB ports. My old truck had 5 up front. Now I'm down to 4. Also had two 12 Volt outputs up front as well. Now I'm down to 1

Stability Control seems to be less agressive, I can really get her spinning now before it kicks in.

Price: I paid just as much for this Trailboss today as I paid for my HC back in 2013. No way I was paying over 50K for a truck. That's just obsurd. Oh Well, ended up putting a lift on my old HC anyways so the Trailboss LT was the perfect fit for me. I couldn't run 285/60, 22" wheels another way. They wouldn't fit. 

I really wasn't looking at upgrading I was happy with my truck, then it got stolen so it forced me into buying a new one. Now I'm super happy. I like this one better than my old HC overall. 

OLD

post-132352-0-28424100-1434849364_thumb.jpg

NEW

20191004_184355.thumb.jpg.9dc97f683c61d395381f8e58432cff41.jpg

Sorry, thought I had responded to you and I didn't. That really sucks that your previous truck got stolen, were they able to recover it at all or is long gone?

Seems like you are split between positives and negatives which is not bad. I will say your truck does look sweet, I really like the Trail Boss and it will be my next truck when the time comes.

Not sure where you live, but have you put those tires through rain and snow yet? We get quite a bit of snow here.

57 minutes ago, captainzombie said:

Nice looking truck, which wheels and tires do you have on yours? I do see a set of Fuel wheels.

Thanks man. They are Fuel Coupler 20x9 1mm offset with LT295/55R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have a leveling kit and all I had to do was minimal trimming of the fender lining. No metal was trimmed. It rides great and I didn't see much gas mileage changes. It's pretty quiet on the highway. I'm a big fan of the ridge grapplers!

27 minutes ago, Minsky said:

Thanks man. They are Fuel Coupler 20x9 1mm offset with LT295/55R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have a leveling kit and all I had to do was minimal trimming of the fender lining. No metal was trimmed. It rides great and I didn't see much gas mileage changes. It's pretty quiet on the highway. I'm a big fan of the ridge grapplers!

They do look good on your truck. How are those Ridge grapplers in the snow and rain?  I'm debating between the Nitto Ridge's and the Tera Grappler G2, so I've narrowed it down on the tires but can't make up my mind on the wheels.

14 hours ago, captainzombie said:

Sorry, thought I had responded to you and I didn't. That really sucks that your previous truck got stolen, were they able to recover it at all or is long gone?

Seems like you are split between positives and negatives which is not bad. I will say your truck does look sweet, I really like the Trail Boss and it will be my next truck when the time comes.

Not sure where you live, but have you put those tires through rain and snow yet? We get quite a bit of snow here.

Overall. It's a good buy. I like it better than my old truck despite the missing features. 

Truck was recovered. OnStar found it seconds after I reported it stolen. Caught the guy who stole it the next day.  It was torn apart from them going thru it in the inside, but no real damage outside. Insurance fixed it, then I traded it in. 

This is my 3rd set of Nittos. They work well in the snow. We don't get a heck of a lot in southern PA but when we do I can around with no issues. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 5:53 AM, Smoothbassman said:

Overall. It's a good buy. I like it better than my old truck despite the missing features. 

Truck was recovered. OnStar found it seconds after I reported it stolen. Caught the guy who stole it the next day.  It was torn apart from them going thru it in the inside, but no real damage outside. Insurance fixed it, then I traded it in. 

This is my 3rd set of Nittos. They work well in the snow. We don't get a heck of a lot in southern PA but when we do I can around with no issues. 

I don't get people that try to steal these new vehicles considering all of the tracking technology in them these days. I don't blame you, I would have done the same thing.

Did you go through two sets of the Nittos on the previous Silverado?

I don't get people that try to steal these new vehicles considering all of the tracking technology in them these days. I don't blame you, I would have done the same thing.

Did you go through two sets of the Nittos on the previous Silverado?
No,

I had a Dodge Ram before that on G2s got 50K out of them before trading that vehicle in with 109K

The old Silverado I got 60K out of a set before trading that in. Passed the last inspection with them but barely. It had 90K on the odometer

Expecting at least 60K out of this set as well before swapping them out. Had the dealer put them on right away after I bought the truck on the wheels I got.

Just a tip. I had a vibration about 2 weeks after buying the vehicle. Had them road force balance my wheels and tires and found one of my rims was so far out they had to stack a ton of weights on it to get it to balance. I asked them to replace that wheel as it shouldn't be that bad. The new wheel came in swapped everything over and it balanced with minimal weights. Truck rides smooth now.

Moral of the story. If your running big wheels and tires, make sure the tire shop road force balances your stuff. I know they didn't the 1st time as they would have found the bad wheel. That would have saved them a lot of time. Rebalancing all of my wheels and tires again.

• 4 weeks later...
What size wheels and tires are on that? Do you have a lift on it? If you do what's the lift? Got anymore pictures?

Nice looking truck :thumbs:

20x12 33x12.5 toyo open country rt
Motofab level kit 3” in the front 2” in the rear
79564137592c096bb077e5b4c69538aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
No,

I had a Dodge Ram before that on G2s got 50K out of them before trading that vehicle in with 109K

The old Silverado I got 60K out of a set before trading that in. Passed the last inspection with them but barely. It had 90K on the odometer

Expecting at least 60K out of this set as well before swapping them out. Had the dealer put them on right away after I bought the truck on the wheels I got.

Just a tip. I had a vibration about 2 weeks after buying the vehicle. Had them road force balance my wheels and tires and found one of my rims was so far out they had to stack a ton of weights on it to get it to balance. I asked them to replace that wheel as it shouldn't be that bad. The new wheel came in swapped everything over and it balanced with minimal weights. Truck rides smooth now.

Moral of the story. If your running big wheels and tires, make sure the tire shop road force balances your stuff. I know they didn't the 1st time as they would have found the bad wheel. That would have saved them a lot of time. Rebalancing all of my wheels and tires again.

I’m ordering the Nitto Terra G2s today from Discount Tire a long with this set of rims. Hoping these G2’s are good, was bouncing back and forth between these and the Ridge Grapplers. If I can get 60K out of these that will be great.

We get a lot of snow and rain here where I’m at and was one of the reasons why I was thinking the Ridge Grapplers would be better, but it sounds like the Terra G2’s are really good for this kind of weather too.

Do you recommend I also add the road force balancing too?

2345bd0bdea36c070905b317d15247d0.jpg

4 hours ago, captainzombie said:

I’m ordering the Nitto Terra G2s today from Discount Tire a long with this set of rims. Hoping these G2’s are good, was bouncing back and forth between these and the Ridge Grapplers. If I can get 60K out of these that will be great.

We get a lot of snow and rain here where I’m at and was one of the reasons why I was thinking the Ridge Grapplers would be better, but it sounds like the Terra G2’s are really good for this kind of weather too.

Do you recommend I also add the road force balancing too?

2345bd0bdea36c070905b317d15247d0.jpg

I can only speak from my own experiences.

This time the road force balancing made all of the difference. Found an out of spec wheel that was throwing everything out of wack. 

On the set of wheels I had before, I didn't have to do it. Rode smooth all the time from the very beginning. 

I would roll the dice, if you get a good set , you won't need it. If you feel vibration, get them road forced to address any issues in the next 1000 miles.