Aftermarket Wheels and TPMS Sensors

Hey all

looking to go to aftermarket wheels on my truck. Am I able to put the TPMS sensors from my stock wheels on the new ones?  Where are they located? I assume I need to remove the tire from the rim.

will the sensors need to be re calibrated?  I'm going from 31" tires on 17" rims to 35" tires on 18" rims.

both are E rated and will run at same psi as stock

thanks

You can use factory tpms sensors with no issues, but I would recommend leaving them on the stock tires and rims and reselling them. I sold mine for 1500 and it will save you from having to pay for remounting. New tpms sensors are not terribly expensive in relation to new tires and rims and can be calibrated by any tire store. 

I reused my factory sensors and installed them on new valve stems in my aftermarket wheels. Either keep track of which factory wheel was in what position with each sensor or you will need to do a relearn on the sensors so the truck know which wheel is where. 

The TPMS sensors are attached to the valve stems. When I got aftermarket rims, I just had the tire shop swap my factory sensors over to the new rims. As stated, unless you keep the sensors in the same location, then you'll need to relearn their positions. 

The tire shop should have the tool to do the learn. Its only like $20 or so on amazon. The older trucks you could do a procedure of putting into program more and inflate/deflate tires in certain order to relearn but the newer models require the tool. 

Service advisers in the reception area at many dealers will be likely walk around the truck and set them for you.

Set learn mode and then walk around and hold the tool next to each valve stem. Less than a minute. 

Probably take longer for them to figure out which service adviser has the has the re-learn device in their workstation. 

Edited by redwngr

On 5/6/2018 at 8:04 PM, Buckshot556 said:

I assume the tire shop will know how to relearn the system?

when I rotate my tires...how do I get te system to relearn?

Yes, they should. If it's too difficult for them, then you need to find a new tire shop, haha. It's pretty common practice these days.

For tire rotations, it depends on who is doing the work. If you're doing it yourself, you may need to purchase a re-learn tool. On the older trucks, you could follow a multi-step process in the owners manual and do it yourself. I'm not sure if that's still possible on the new trucks. Tire shops, dealerships, etc. will do it for you. Over the past few years, I've just paid to have mine rotated every time I get the oil changed. The convenience factor is worth the small, additional fee for me. 

• 1 month later...

Wish I would have read this sooner. I just bought new wheels and tires myself. General Grabbers on Gear wheels. The old TPMS sensors are still in the old tires. The good news is I have he old ones to sell if any one isinterested. A little life left in the rubber. They’re in excellent condition. 

455AF578-1A53-4DA9-8178-B97591B0970E.jpeg

A4B06CDE-3896-4F36-ADB8-B81589F7DD15.jpeg

• Like 1

Dealer I usually use keeps a re-learn tool in the drive thru service reception area and will gladly take the walk around required to do the relearn for those that have rotated the tires themselves. 

If you do them yourself, and either rotate or are swapping winter/summer tires, and/or have multiple vehicles it might make sense to obtain a relearn tool to do them as they are being changed.

Edited by redwngr

Be aware that if you have aftermarket (Schrader) TPMS sensors, GM's tool won't be able to relearn the sensor locations. (I learned the hard way)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/19/2018 at 7:24 PM, revrnd said:

Be aware that if you have aftermarket (Schrader) TPMS sensors, GM's tool won't be able to relearn the sensor locations. (I learned the hard way)

I’m in a similar situation now. I have aftermarket wheels and TPMSs and the tire shop is struggling to get them to read..how did you resolve your issue?

3 hours ago, todom5 said:

I’m in a similar situation now. I have aftermarket wheels and TPMSs and the tire shop is struggling to get them to read..how did you resolve your issue?

I've ordered a TPMS reset tool on Amazon (I'll post a link later) that several people I know have used.