Read a post on here about the dual battery install on a 1500. Thought I would post some pics and info, as the post I read stated a Gm part number for a new try. However I found I didn't need this at all and other than the battery it's self (comes with adapters and mounts) nothing is needed to mount the battery. I bought the $7.00 battery hold down with bolt. But this wasn't needed I could have just bought the bolt. 

NOTE. there is a tab on the tray on the front side by the headlight. With nothing more than a pair of vice grips I bent it, only a little. Say about from the 1 o'clock position to the 11 o'clock. I then installed the snap in adapter in the optima battery, this simply added a larger lip. Then drop in and bolt down. easy no more than 5 minutes. 

I did the ground cable to the engine block, as the 2nd battery is a protection/ jumper. So need the starter to get the best voltage path. As you can see the isolator is a Stinger 200amp. 

It is wired to through a 2 way switch and a rely. so it can work two ways. One is "normal" car starts on main battery then a RAP source powers the relay. If the main is dead I can see it on the dual voltage gauge and simply push the switch to connect both batteries and truck starts. Any time truck is running both are charging. 

Archived