Adding Trailer Brake Controller - Pre-Wired?

Well, I've done it now... I've just committed to our RV rental for our next vacation.  We want to try it out and see if this is something we enjoy or not.  

I need to add a brake controller to the truck.  I'm planning to get the Tekonsha P3, but am open to other recommendations.  My question is about the truck, though. 

Are all the trucks pre-wired to accept a trailer brake controller?  Is there an RPO code I can look for?  

GM sells a harness that plugs in next to the brake pedal. The installation guide tells you which wires are which, so you know what to connect to what on the controller end. I got mine at the local dealer for right around $20, but they're probably a lot cheaper on Amazon. GM part #2318-4088. 

• Like 1

I've got a Curt 51149 T brake controller for sale that I installed last July on my 2010 and used about 4 times before I traded the truck in November. $35 and its yours, I pulled a 6k pound trailer and it worked great. 

GM sells a harness that plugs in next to the brake pedal. The installation guide tells you which wires are which, so you know what to connect to what on the controller end. I got mine at the local dealer for right around $20, but they're probably a lot cheaper on Amazon. GM part #2318-4088. 
That's what I was thinking of. I wasn't sure if they all had the wiring for it or not. Looks like they do at least if you have the factory 7pin connection.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've got a Curt 51149 T brake controller for sale that I installed last July on my 2010 and used about 4 times before I traded the truck in November. $35 and its yours, I pulled a 6k pound trailer and it worked great. 
I've not looked at that one. I'll look into it and let you know this afternoon. Thanks.

1 hour ago, papageoff said:

That's what I was thinking of. I wasn't sure if they all had the wiring for it or not. Looks like they do at least if you have the factory 7pin connection.

wire harness  came in mine in the glovebox  wrapped in plastic   '15 LTZ/Z1

plugs into box under dash near column....easy  wire hook up to Tekonsha 

if truck was new.....Stealer Prolly  took it  to sell from parts counter

33 minutes ago, ChristopherDB said:

If you're doing the P3, why don't you just get the harness for it rather then the GM one so you don't have to worry about splicing anything together? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GJX1NYE

X2...

Also I do not currently have my P3 installed on the 2015 and if I did need it would install it in the cubby as shown in picture. Don't know if my long legs are to blame but when controllers have been mounted under the dash I often bang my knee on it.  Have no desire to have that continue to happen.

Screenshot_20170123-143748.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, papageoff said:

I need to add a brake controller to the truck.  I'm planning to get the Tekonsha P3, but am open to other recommendations. 

Are all the trucks pre-wired to accept a trailer brake controller?  Is there an RPO code I can look for?  

I had a Tekonsha P3 in my F150 and like a fool, let it go with the truck when I got my 2014 GMC.  I bought another one and the wire harness from etrailer.com.   It's plug and play, but I remember it being a hassle to get the box cover off by your left foot to get the harness on; otherwise, it was easy.      Also, I drilled two holes in my lower dash by my right knee to mount it....there's really no other place to put it.    Had it on for 3+ years now with no issues.  I don't even think I have bumped my knee into it once yet.

23 hours ago, ChristopherDB said:

If you're doing the P3, why don't you just get the harness for it rather then the GM one so you don't have to worry about splicing anything together? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GJX1NYE

x2. Sure you can splice the wires together with the GM harness but it's way easier and a cleaner install to get the Tekonsha harness for our trucks. Plugs right in, I believe mine was $12.99 at a local camper/trailer dealer and they had it in stock.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 3:12 PM, papageoff said:

Well, I've done it now... I've just committed to our RV rental for our next vacation.  We want to try it out and see if this is something we enjoy or not.  

I need to add a brake controller to the truck.  I'm planning to get the Tekonsha P3, but am open to other recommendations.  My question is about the truck, though. 

I'm on the same boat... But after doing some research I'm gonna go with the P3. Looks to be user friendly and is plug and play. Amazon has the unit and harness for about $130~$140.

I'm on the same boat... But after doing some research I'm gonna go with the P3. Looks to be user friendly and is plug and play. Amazon has the unit and harness for about $130~$140.
I bought ratasquids Curt unit. For the amount I'm going to use it (which may be just this trip) it wasn't worth buying the p3.

If I buy an rv, before getting another truck I may get the p3 then.

Let me know when you get it. I'm interested in how well it works. I'm also curious if it can be custom mounted into the dash for a more integrated look. It's hard to find measurements for that thing.

1 hour ago, 2017_LTZ said:

Buy the unit and harness separately on Amazon. I saw the combo deal on Amazon but it was not the correct harness (by looking at the pictures), even though it said it would fit.

I added the P3 today with the plug n play harness. Definitely spend the $15 for the harness. Couldn't be any easier!  Took 15 minutes to install. I had a hook and pick set which I used to open the left side of the electrical box because it is impossible to get your hands back there to remove the cover.

IMG_20180423_205358.thumb.jpg.ea48487da62358fbbaf7df15ef15e1bb.jpg

18 hours ago, ChristopherDB said:

I added the P3 today with the plug n play harness. Definitely spend the $15 for the harness. Couldn't be any easier!  Took 15 minutes to install. I had a hook and pick set which I used to open the left side of the electrical box because it is impossible to get your hands back there to remove the cover.

IMG_20180423_205358.thumb.jpg.ea48487da62358fbbaf7df15ef15e1bb.jpg

I don't know if you have much experience with a brake controller, but that is way too low to reach to manually toggle your electric trailer brakes.    I hit mine manually every time I hook up the trailer to make sure I have the controller set at the right amount of drag.

• Like 1