HELP!!! I Broke an Oil Pan Bolt!!!

7 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

I don't have any handy but if you search YouTube for LS rear main seal replacement you will find a ton.

I was watching a video on this and it is Insane how much I have to drop to do it! Definitely a Daunting job! No oil leakage as of yet so hopefully I’m in the clear! Because dropping the drive shafts and transmission Or pulling the engine is not for me

• 1 year later...

Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but this EXACT same thing happened to me, I was changing the oil pan gasket and I was using a new torque wrench that didn't reset properly after the previous bolt and I wound up breaking my passenger side bolt. I don't see why it is necessary to pull the whole transmission out when theoretically one could remove the oil pan crossmember, remove the oil pan, and use a (CAREFULLY TO KEEP METAL SHARDS OUT OF THE ENGINE) bolt extractor kit? Again, maybe I'm missing something but that seems like a lot less daunting a task for someone who lacks the necessary equipment to pull a whole engine.spacer.png

It's a clearance thing.  The long bolts are right up against where the transmission mounts, so you can't get a drill right over it easily.  As well, the bolt is relatively small, so you need to get it right in the center.

If I were doing it, if it was sticking out at all, I would try just rotating it out, if flush, then weld a nut to it, and if it's not flush, then a left-hand drill bit, as the bolt isn't rusted in place (as it's been lubed up pretty good....), so the drill should just spin it out [but you might need a right-angle air drill or an extension to get the drill lined up right].

Those extractor kits aren't that expensive, and do work, but you have to do it just right, and lord help you if you break off the extractor ...

Edited by davester
  • Like 1

WHat if you take a longer bolt that fits in the whole and use some jb weld on the tip. USe some tape or something to hold in place once it sets you should be able un screw it. I am sure there is a faster setting epoxy that would work. It should come out pretty easy since it turned so easy. Many have broke those bolts very east to snap.