HELP!!! I Broke an Oil Pan Bolt!!!

So I was trying to solve my slow oil leak problem, and was suggested to tighten them Very Lightly... which I Did, but the two long bolts would just spin. I heard a slight noise when trying to tighten the drivers side, so I stopped and passenger side long Oil pan bolt didn't make any noise. There was tons of old grease build up and so I thought that maybe it was actually tightening and going down into the block... and then POP! The bolt snapped right off! I've got some pictures of it. 

So my question is... do you think this is going to be a big problem?!? 

One day hopefully Next winter I will be able to pull the oil pan off and replace the gasket and bolts. But if I have to do this now its going to be a Big Problem, i've got Tons going on until the beginning of winter, there's no way I could dedicate a few days to fixing this problem the right way now -- I mean if I absolutely I have to I guess I will just have to, but I mean. I really hope and pray by JESUS CHRIST'S NAME that First, the leak doesn't get worse, and Second that there is a enough bolt still sticking out of the block that I could get it out easily without tapping it. I wiped down underneath and will be monitoring it continuously, as well as the oil level, hopefully i'll be good.

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

Judging by the amount of threads left, I bet it broke off flush.  You will have to remove the pan to fix it.  Even then that bolt is at the back edge of the block and access will suck while the trans and flexplate are installed.  It actually threads into the rear cover, not the block.  It might be easier to pull the tranny and just replace the rear cover.  While you're in there, replace the pan gasket.  Also take a close look at you cam position sensor.  I found that mine was leaking badly when I pulled my engine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

Judging by the amount of threads left, I bet it broke off flush.  You will have to remove the pan to fix it.  Even then that bolt is at the back edge of the block and access will suck while the trans and flexplate are installed.  It actually threads into the rear cover, not the block.  It might be easier to pull the tranny and just replace the rear cover.  While you're in there, replace the pan gasket.  Also take a close look at you cam position sensor.  I found that mine was leaking badly when I pulled my engine.

How hard is all that going to be you think!? I was watching a video on the oil pan alone and it seems pretty daunting... any videos you could reference? I really hope I can wait until next winter thought to do all this

It can wait, I just don't know how fast it will leak and how often you will have to fill up the oil.  I did an engine swap in my garage with a helper in 1 weekend, about 20 hours.  Now that I've done it once, I could probably cut that down about 3-4 hours.  I don't know your skill or experience level so I can't guess how long it would take you.  I'm certainly no expert, so you can likely match my time easily.

The more I think about what you need to do, pulling the engine may be the quickest way.  It's really not that hard.

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

TORQUE WRENCH?

:)

Yeah well it’s too late for that! I was just doing a slight tighten not much at all and it just kept spinning... 

2 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

It can wait, I just don't know how fast it will leak and how often you will have to fill up the oil.  I did an engine swap in my garage with a helper in 1 weekend, about 20 hours.  Now that I've done it once, I could probably cut that down about 3-4 hours.  I don't know your skill or experience level so I can't guess how long it would take you.  I'm certainly no expert, so you can likely match my time easily.

The more I think about what you need to do, pulling the engine may be the quickest way.  It's really not that hard.

Yeah my experience is very limited I’m sure it would take me even longer. And I definitely don’t have the money to do a swap...

Cost of the parts wouldnt be to bad if you were to do this yourself.  But having a shop do it would be a nightmare.  They would probably take 2 full days of labor if not 3 to take the engine out, replace the rear cover, probably replace other seals that are leaking and then replace the engine.  Lots and lots of money.  Around 1500 in labor and parts with the shops markup on parts as well.  And thats with a $60 an hour shop rate. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike GMC said:

I wasn't suggesting you do a swap.  But out, fix and back in would take about the same amount of time as a swap.

Ahhh I got you. The only problem with that is I don’t have a shop or garage, so I couldn’t really put it anywhere, on top I’d need to buy the engine crane... I really appreciate your help

1 hour ago, Logan Lanfear said:

Cost of the parts wouldnt be to bad if you were to do this yourself.  But having a shop do it would be a nightmare.  They would probably take 2 full days of labor if not 3 to take the engine out, replace the rear cover, probably replace other seals that are leaking and then replace the engine.  Lots and lots of money.  Around 1500 in labor and parts with the shops markup on parts as well.  And thats with a $60 an hour shop rate. 

Yeah exactly that’s what I was figuring! 

So I don’t have any leakage so far... though I haven’t been driving it but a couple miles so far. So hopefully I’ll be good until the winter and then I could try and tackle this

1 hour ago, txab said:

RENT a hoist if needed, not buy. Do you live in the southern hemisphere since you keep saying winter is coming? Winter has has been here where I live :)

Good thinking. But wouldn’t I need to set it down somewhere? Like I said I’d either be doing this in my townhouse complex parking lot out front of my house, Or in the sandy Grass out at my farm house where I don’t have a garage or concrete at all...

haha no I’m saying spring and summer are coming for me and I’ve got tons of work to do on the farm and my work gets crazy busy (work in a restaurant in beach town southeastern nc).

Shop here near me told me that it would be $400 to replace my rear main seal on my 2002.  The leak has slowed up some and isn't dripping like it was.  Since those bolts are in the rear main seal housing that would be an easy fix. Just time to take the tranny out  or move back and get the flex plate off and then the seal housing.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Shop here near me told me that it would be $400 to replace my rear main seal on my 2002.  The leak has slowed up some and isn't dripping like it was.  Since those bolts are in the rear main seal housing that would be an easy fix. Just time to take the tranny out  or move back and get the flex plate off and then the seal housing.

Any videos for reference? I'm thinking i'll definitely do this, but hoping I can do it next winter instead of now...

8 hours ago, TEWNCfarms said:

Any videos for reference? I'm thinking i'll definitely do this, but hoping I can do it next winter instead of now...

I don't have any handy but if you search YouTube for LS rear main seal replacement you will find a ton.

• Thanks 1