OEM HID headlight fitment

First off, no HID on 2015.  HID was first on 2016, with the new front end design, and those housings are way different from the 2014-2015.  Wiring will not plug and play.   

IMO, go high quality aftermarket.  Lots more cost effective and actually doable.   

Edited by newdude

Does anyone know if the OEM HID headlight housings, ballast, etc are plug-and-play? If I found a 2015 donor truck with OEM HID headlights, could I easily swap the housings with my halogen housings? Disconnect the HID harness/ballast and install them on my truck?

You’d need a 2016-2018 as said for HID from OEM. If aftermarket HID bulbs are there you’re fine, just depends on whether it’s a 2015 or 2016.

And again, if yours is a 15 Silverado, you’ll need the headlights, grille, hood, and bumpers to make a 2016-2018 front end fit.

But if you’re talking about the LTZ projector headlights on 14-15 Silverados instead of the LT reflector headlights, they will fit your truck. Plug and play.

Youd need the brackets to swap your projector also, or you can buy the whole kit from fast headlights. There's a entire thread on retrofits where you can find pictures of mine and others. Not super hard on these trucks as compared to others, almost anyone with patience should be able to do it. 

Yeah I dug through that thread a little yesterday. There are quite a few pages to read. So it looked like fast headlights offers a kit with the mini projectors for non OEM projector housings (which is what I have). From best I can tell, this requires splitting the headlight housing and a re-seal post install? I was on the tacomaworld forum (when I had my Taco) and read a lot about retrofits and the products offered by TRS. I was just too afraid to split headlamp housings and risk moisture problems. I agree with everyone though, financially the best way to go. Maybe I'll find a set of take-off housings and practice on those instead of mine.

3 hours ago, Erion109 said:

Yeah I dug through that thread a little yesterday. There are quite a few pages to read. So it looked like fast headlights offers a kit with the mini projectors for non OEM projector housings (which is what I have). From best I can tell, this requires splitting the headlight housing and a re-seal post install? I was on the tacomaworld forum (when I had my Taco) and read a lot about retrofits and the products offered by TRS. I was just too afraid to split headlamp housings and risk moisture problems. I agree with everyone though, financially the best way to go. Maybe I'll find a set of take-off housings and practice on those instead of mine.

It’s not tough to seal it up well with the silicone adhesive.

don’t waste your money. Better to just buy the second set in the 1% chance you screw it up.

it’s a lot of work, but you will definitely be happy at the end. D2s 4.0 + hilux + morimoto 35w hid = sowyer and I have the best headlights on the entire forum

Edited by truckguy82

3 hours ago, Erion109 said:

Check craigslist for used lights. I bought like new reflector (LT) lights for $40. It’s a lot easier working on a spare set. The opening process is tricky, but not too bad. It was my first time. I wish I would have gone with a retrofit at the time. Just added Klearz and painted the trim. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/28/2018 at 3:35 PM, cbrsilv15 said:

Check craigslist for used lights. I bought like new reflector (LT) lights for $40. It’s a lot easier working on a spare set. The opening process is tricky, but not too bad. It was my first time. I wish I would have gone with a retrofit at the time. Just added Klearz and painted the trim. 

I hope you aren't one of those people that put HID's/LED's in a halogen housing and blind oncoming traffic. At a minimum you need to use the LTZ projector headlights with their solid cutoff...

On 4/5/2019 at 6:29 PM, Gkondylas said:

What’s the difference between the LTZ and LT? The LTZ has hid?

No, neither 14/15 LT or LTZ has HID, both are halogen. The LT is a reflector housing and putting anything much brighter than stock (IE HID's or LED's which are many times brighter than stock) will blind on coming traffic no matter how much you adjust them. The LTZ has a projector housing with a halogen bulb. These are much better to add HID's/LED's to as they have a distinct cutoff and don't scatter the light like the reflector headlights which keeps it out of oncoming traffics eyes as long as they are properly adjusted. Still not as good as getting an actual headlight assembly designed to use each bulb (LED or HID). HID's have a light pattern similar to halogen bulbs just 4-5 times brighter where LED's are more directive which is why they benefit more from a proper housing designed to utilize their light output. 

Tyler

No, neither 14/15 LT or LTZ has HID, both are halogen. The LT is a reflector housing and putting anything much brighter than stock (IE HID's or LED's which are many times brighter than stock) will blind on coming traffic no matter how much you adjust them. The LTZ has a projector housing with a halogen bulb. These are much better to add HID's/LED's to as they have a distinct cutoff and don't scatter the light like the reflector headlights which keeps it out of oncoming traffics eyes as long as they are properly adjusted. Still not as good as getting an actual headlight assembly designed to use each bulb (LED or HID). HID's have a light pattern similar to halogen bulbs just 4-5 times brighter where LED's are more directive which is why they benefit more from a proper housing designed to utilize their light output. 

Tyler

705d528378646854c661a581877f53e0.jpg

2259608acd1572fe0495263d3a8206d1.jpg

Nah man. Retro’d MD2S 5.0 in LTZ housings. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk