Question about Max Towing Package

JimZRyd

Thanks for all your reply’s !  I’ve reviewed the towing charts and if you go by those, the 6.2 in the GMC trim should work for me even without the NHT, since I’m looking at towing my car maybe only a handful of times per year. The weight of my car and trailer are in the 7K pound range. My little utility trailer is way lower than that. I’m on my 3rd Denali with the 6.2 now (Yukon’s).  I’ve towed with an open trailer before and it did fine. This ones not much heavier but too close to my Yukon’s limit. The Sierra 6.2 should handle it fine by the charts. Heck if it seems sluggish I’ll just change out the gears for 4.32’s. Mainly it will be my daily driver. Still wish GM would offer the max towing package throughout their lineup. Maybe the 2019 might offer something better?. 

Anybody have any real world experience towing around 7-8k with the 6.2 and no NHT?

Thanks!

Jim

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, JimZRyd said:

Thanks for all your reply’s !  I’ve reviewed the towing charts and if you go by those, the 6.2 in the GMC trim should work for me even without the NHT, since I’m looking at towing my car maybe only a handful of times per year. The weight of my car and trailer are in the 7K pound range. My little utility trailer is way lower than that. I’m on my 3rd Denali with the 6.2 now (Yukon’s).  I’ve towed with an open trailer before and it did fine. This ones not much heavier but too close to my Yukon’s limit. The Sierra 6.2 should handle it fine by the charts. Heck if it seems sluggish I’ll just change out the gears for 4.32’s. Mainly it will be my daily driver. Still wish GM would offer the max towing package throughout their lineup. Maybe the 2019 might offer something better?. 

Anybody have any real world experience towing around 7-8k with the 6.2 and no NHT?

Thanks!

Jim

Im thinking you've got some numbers backwards in your gear ratios as you wouldn't want 4.32's at all, be a pulling monster but a gas hog as well. A 6.2 with 3.42's should be plenty of power but that being said if youre worried about it, can you order it with 3.73? 3.73 has always been just about the best option for power and MPG. Also, remember that you can lock out gears in manual mode, just set it to where ever the engine is happy and forget about it.  I have a 3.08 gear truck with the 5.3 and see posts on here about how other 3.08 trucks pull "great", mine doesn't even pull its own weight that well lol.

8 hours ago, bgbdwlf2500 said:

Im thinking you've got some numbers backwards in your gear ratios as you wouldn't want 4.32's at all, be a pulling monster but a gas hog as well. A 6.2 with 3.42's should be plenty of power but that being said if youre worried about it, can you order it with 3.73? 3.73 has always been just about the best option for power and MPG. Also, remember that you can lock out gears in manual mode, just set it to where ever the engine is happy and forget about it.  I have a 3.08 gear truck with the 5.3 and see posts on here about how other 3.08 trucks pull "great", mine doesn't even pull its own weight that well lol.

Ha!  You are correct about me mixing the numbers up. Long day at work!

It’s been said before that the reason I can’t configure a Denali with a 6.2 and the max tow package is because of the magnaride suspension. But you can build a Denali with the 5.3 and get the 3.42 gearing which is what comes with the max tow pack. Then apparently it’s not just because of the suspension on the Denali that you can’t get a 6.2 and the max tow. I’m know that it’s more than gearing that make up the max tow. 

But then why is it that GM limits the 6.2 to a 3.23 gear and a 5.3 to a 3.42 gear, in the Denali trim?  But you can get both the SLT trim? Mileage?  If that’s the case, can the dealership switch out the 3.23’s for 3.42’s?  I actually know a shop that would. Doing that would be close to a diy max tow package. The trailer brake controller is there. The only difference I see is magnaride vs traditional. 

Bottom line like I said before, I want to tow about 7-8k a couple tines a year. 9300# capacity would do it but it’s close and I’d like to be sure it’d be ok. Again, anybody with the 6.2 and 3.23’s have any towing experiences to share?  Thanks!

On 2/25/2018 at 12:59 PM, sethro274 said:

Denali only comes with MagneRide and it is not heavy enough for the max trailering. You can do an SLT Premium plus (basically the same as a Denali with the exception of Magride, painted bumpers and Digital gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my premium plus comes with painted bumpers..... or maybe its the all terrain package that puts those painted one's on there... hhmm i'll have to look back at my build sheet... 

my premium plus comes with painted bumpers..... or maybe its the all terrain package that puts those painted one's on there... hhmm i'll have to look back at my build sheet... 

All Terrain has painted bumpers but you can’t get Max Trailering (All Terrain is Z71 and it’s not compatible with max trailering.) There is an All Terrain Premium Plus but it’s just the heated steering wheel,20” wheels, power sliding rear window. It’s different from the SLT Premium Plus package or PDT as the RPO listing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re all great trucks. I’m just confused as to why you can configure either motor with  NHT in a SLE, SLT,  but if you’re looking at the Denali, you’re able to configure a 5.3 with basically all you can get in the NHT package, but you can only configure a 6.2 with the 3.23 gears. It can’t be because of the suspension or you couldn’t get the 3.42 with the 5.3 in a Denali. Way to go GM!

19 hours ago, JimZRyd said:

Yes, been doing it for years.  You'll be fine.  As mentioned, the biggest thing you get with the NHT is the extra 400 lbs payload on the sticker for those worried about the weight police.

Don't even worry about gears, with the 6.2 and 8-speed you'll never lack for power with a trailer that size, it's really not needed for towing a couple of times a year.  If you want it to tow better, address the biggest weakness all 1/2 tons have--soft rear springs.  NHT's get stiffer rear springs but if you throw a set of airbags on you'll have an infinitely better setup than they do.  That and a set of tow mirrors and you'll be set for what you want to do.

1 hour ago, Jon A said:

Yes, been doing it for years.  You'll be fine.  As mentioned, the biggest thing you get with the NHT is the extra 400 lbs payload on the sticker for those worried about the weight police.

Don't even worry about gears, with the 6.2 and 8-speed you'll never lack for power with a trailer that size, it's really not needed for towing a couple of times a year.  If you want it to tow better, address the biggest weakness all 1/2 tons have--soft rear springs.  NHT's get stiffer rear springs but if you throw a set of airbags on you'll have an infinitely better setup than they do.  That and a set of tow mirrors and you'll be set for what you want to do.

Thanks Jon!  Good advice. Airbags for the rear were already in my plan. Tow mirrors as well. I’ve had a couple 6.2’s in my Yukon’s...def have lots of power??

Thanks again!

15 hours ago, JimZRyd said:

Ha!  You are correct about me mixing the numbers up. Long day at work!

It’s been said before that the reason I can’t configure a Denali with a 6.2 and the max tow package is because of the magnaride suspension. But you can build a Denali with the 5.3 and get the 3.42 gearing which is what comes with the max tow pack. Then apparently it’s not just because of the suspension on the Denali that you can’t get a 6.2 and the max tow. I’m know that it’s more than gearing that make up the max tow. 

But then why is it that GM limits the 6.2 to a 3.23 gear and a 5.3 to a 3.42 gear, in the Denali trim?  But you can get both the SLT trim? Mileage?  If that’s the case, can the dealership switch out the 3.23’s for 3.42’s?  I actually know a shop that would. Doing that would be close to a diy max tow package. The trailer brake controller is there. The only difference I see is magnaride vs traditional. 

Bottom line like I said before, I want to tow about 7-8k a couple tines a year. 9300# capacity would do it but it’s close and I’d like to be sure it’d be ok. Again, anybody with the 6.2 and 3.23’s have any towing experiences to share?  Thanks!

As far as the 6.2 and 5.3 gearing I'm sure you know the answer - HP. They figure the 6.2 has enough power to run the 3.23 and have no issue, they go to 3.42 in the 5.3 because it makes less power. Most dealerships wont regear trucks from what I have read. You will have to take it to a shop and most charge a fortune for the install. Gears can be bought for under 200 but the install is what kills. My opinion is a max tow should be in the 3.73 range especially with the overdrive ratio of the 6 and 8 speed transmissions. The extra gears between the 6 and 8 speed are added to the lower gears which wasn't needed. the overdrive ratio on the 6 and 8 is the same last I checked so at a 3.23 there will be some lugging as the transmission wants to get into top gear even at 45mph. As I said,  Ive got a 5.3 with the 3.08 gearing and am about to pull the trigger on putting 4.10 gears in it. At 45 mph in 6th truck is at 900 rpm so any throttle input causes at least one down shift, if you get more aggressive to pick up speed it will downshift to 3rd most times because the 3.08 is just not enough gear for a 5500lb truck. If I ever get a 6.2 ill still get it with as low gearing as I can find it in.

You can only get a Silverado LTZ, or Sierra SLT in Max Tow. You can not get any special editions in Max Tow I believe, including Denali, High Country, All Terrain, Midnight and Elevation etc. I tried to spec my 6.2L All Terrain when I bought it as a Max tow but it deletes Z71 and the All Terrain. Max Tow has suspension and cooling specific to that package. Nothing wrong with a nice LTZ or SLT max tow if you need the slight increase in capacity. 1,000# was not a difference maker for me so I settled for a 6.2L with the package I liked the most. Denali has mag ride, and probably tows really nice as is. Unless you have a large travel trailer or are a contractor, it is unlikely you will exceed the capacity of a 6.2L 1500.  

7 hours ago, bgbdwlf2500 said:

As far as the 6.2 and 5.3 gearing I'm sure you know the answer - HP. They figure the 6.2 has enough power to run the 3.23 and have no issue, they go to 3.42 in the 5.3 because it makes less power. Most dealerships wont regear trucks from what I have read. You will have to take it to a shop and most charge a fortune for the install. Gears can be bought for under 200 but the install is what kills. My opinion is a max tow should be in the 3.73 range especially with the overdrive ratio of the 6 and 8 speed transmissions. The extra gears between the 6 and 8 speed are added to the lower gears which wasn't needed. the overdrive ratio on the 6 and 8 is the same last I checked so at a 3.23 there will be some lugging as the transmission wants to get into top gear even at 45mph. As I said,  Ive got a 5.3 with the 3.08 gearing and am about to pull the trigger on putting 4.10 gears in it. At 45 mph in 6th truck is at 900 rpm so any throttle input causes at least one down shift, if you get more aggressive to pick up speed it will downshift to 3rd most times because the 3.08 is just not enough gear for a 5500lb truck. If I ever get a 6.2 ill still get it with as low gearing as I can find it in.

Yep. Gearing can be tricky. I’ve got a buddy with a shop that does this all the time. Put a set of 4.10’s in one of my projects for nothing but the conversation we had??

5 hours ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

. Unless you have a large travel trailer or are a contractor, it is unlikely you will exceed the capacity of a 6.2L 1500.  

This is good to hear. I know on paper it will tow what I need it too. I just wanted to ask you guys with more experience in hopes I wasn’t going to be too close to the stated ratings. ??

22 hours ago, JimZRyd said:

This is good to hear. I know on paper it will tow what I need it too. I just wanted to ask you guys with more experience in hopes I wasn’t going to be too close to the stated ratings. ??

I tow with my 5.3L WT a lot more than my 6.2L but I can pull my 20' deck over trailer and 3 ATV's and a SxS and barely know it is behind me. With the weight of the trailer and the bikes it is around 6,000#. Up and down grades in overdrive no problem. The 5.3L has struggled with a few loads, one being a 8'x8' ice fishing shack (towing a wall into the wind) and a excavator bucket with a Steel Wrist attached. Both these moves were between 6,000-7,500# gvw on the 5.3L. If your trailer's tongue weight is ~900# and you are under 9,000lbs gross, a regular 6.2L should fit the bill and then some. You can always add overload springs, or an equalizer hitch to help manage the load and distribute weight if you feel more comfortable. I don't run equalizers or overloads and have had no concern as of yet. 

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

On 2/26/2018 at 9:44 PM, JimZRyd said:

Thanks!

Jim

No NHT means no tow mirrors from the factory. 

On 2/26/2018 at 9:51 AM, newdude said:

On 1500 trucks, Max Trailer Package NHT is only available with the SLT trim level on GMC, and LTZ on Chevy.  You can get the 6.2 on both trims but not NHT. 

What are you trying to tow with the truck? 

That is incorrect.

NHT is available on both SLE and SLT. 

NHT         Max Trailering Package, includes 9.76" rear axle, 8-speed transmission with 3.42 or 6-speed transmission with 3.73, (JL1) trailer brake controller, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR
SLE - Requires a Crew Cab or Double Cab model. Includes (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential on 2WD models (already standard on 4WD models) and Z82 Trailering Package. Requires (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine and (DPN) power camper mirrors. Not available with (SXL) Elevation Edition, (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package. Includes (UHN) 18" X 8.5" bright-machined aluminum wheels. Requires (RKX) 18" tires or may upgrade to (RD3) 20" bright machined aluminum wheels with either (RC7) or (QSS) 20" tires. 
SLT - Requires (RKX) 18" tires or may upgrade to (RD5) 20" chrome wheels with either (RC7) or (QSS) 20" tires. With (L86) 6.2L engine, requires (RD5) 20" wheels with (QSS) 20" tires. Requires (DQS) power adjustable, power folding camper mirrors. Not available with (GAT) All Terrain Package and (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package.

On Silverado 1500 it is available on the non-Z71 versions of LT and LTZ  (1LT and 1LZ)

Archived