Reduced Engine Power/Stabilitrak Light

Hopefully you guys can help me out here a bit.  I have a 2014 Silverado CCSB Z71 5.3 with 38000 miles on it.  I was driving to work this morning and had the reduced engine power alert come up in my DIC along with the stabilitrak light.  I pulled over, shut the truck off and re-started a few times with no success in clearing the codes with drive cycles.  While driving, the transmission was banging gears pretty hard and the torque converter was clunking worse than "normal, by GM standards".  I got to a good spot to park the truck and that is that for now.  I am anticipating a tow to the dealership as I am about 20 miles away from it now for what will hopefully fall under the powertrain warranty as my bumper to bumper was up 1 months and 2k miles ago.  Anyone have a similar problem with this or any insight as to what it may be.  Im iffy on driving it home to scan it, as I dont want to compound any problems.  I drove the truck Saturday night, probably 60 miles on the highway with no issues and it sat in the garage until this morning.  Help me out, internets!

12 minutes ago, calgator73 said:

Well if you hit the OnStar button and ask for an on-demand diagnostic they will email you your codes upon request. That will go a long way to helping you out

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That would be an option if I wasn't cheap and paid for an OnStar subscription.  :sigh:  

Sometimes it is a battery/wiring issue. You might check those first to ensure good connections. As far as towing vs driving, that's your call and your money (potentially). I would like to say that this should be covered under the powertrain, but we know how stealerships work. Good luck. 

• Like 1

GM roadside assistance covered the tow to the dealership.  I spoke to the service manager whom I’ve dealt with before.  He says that the mileage and time frame on the 3/36 was close enough that he can work with GM on the repair.  I’ll update when I hear from them in the next few days.

• Like 1

Apparently the ECM (Engine Control Module) took a dump.  The dealership ordered one yesterday and it should be in today.  Then they will need to install, flash and then I should be good to go.  I will get more information from the service manager when I pick the truck up.  I spoke with the service writer, which in my experience, their mechanical knowledge is limited with whatever is on the work order in front of them.  I wish I could have scanned this at my house to see what codes it tripped, but i will get whatever info I can.  Thanks for the insight.

15 hours ago, Coby7 said:

My guess, throttle position sensor not following with pedal position sensor.

I had this issue with my wifes ride last year( 2010 Cadillac SRX).  I chased it with my scanner for a while as the code trips the same for the accelerator pedal module and the throttle position sensor.  Ended up being the Throttle Position Sensor which of course is non serviceable and integral with the throttle body, so i replaced the throttle body and have been fine since. 

i picked my truck up last night and all seems to be well.  The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) was P16F3-Internal Redundant Memory Performance.  Apparently, when the ECM trips this code it can usually be fixed with a re-flash of the ECM.  In my case, the dealership could get no response from the ECM when attempting a re-flash, diagnosis-bad ECM.  I doesn't seem that this is a very common problem per the Service Manager, but he has seen it on other models (Cruze and Corvette).  Now that I know the code and did very minimal research, it seems as though it can have different impacts and the Reduced Power Mode usually can be cleared by a drive cycle( shutting down the vehicle, removing key, opening door, closing door, restarting the vehicle).  This will leave the check engine light on, but MAY allow a return to full power mode, which will at least get you to where you need to be without a tow.  Unfortunately, if the ECM has an internal fault, like mine did, its a wrap.  

All of this was covered under warranty including the tow to the dealership.  So besides a minor headache, it didn't cost me anything.  Hopefully, no one else has this issue, but if you do this may shed a little light on it. 

• 1 year later...

I've been dealing with the same issue. I get code p0191 along with stabilitrak and reduced engine power pop up.
Plugs
Wires
Fuel rail cleaning
Fuel rail sensor
Fuel pump
Nothing has fixed the issue and I have to keep an obd2 reader handy to clear the codes in order for the car to drive properly . Bad situation. Thinking that the throttle body or position sensor may be the issue , but I'm going broke trying to find a fix at this point .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
On 11/5/2019 at 4:02 AM, Ira1976 said:

Mine just started doing same thing.  Apparently, a hose coupler failed fram coolant res - radiator; blowing hot coolant over engine bay.  This caused truck to run hotter than normal (gm's run a little hotter than 210 anyway).  However, causes truck to burn more oil.  The truck started missing a little [odd] started showing "reduced engine power" ..."Loss oil pressure turn off engine."  However, was traveling an old county [bumpy] road when happened.  -I got the truck home did a tune up (oil, oil filter, plugs, air filter, etc-etc), also replaced 'oil sensor' and 'PCV' under throttle body.  However, dead battery / no start.  Jumped it with other car and started up and running very nice.  Driving it home - only got 8 miles and then "Stabilitrack service" notification, than "loss engine power" again...  Pulled off to side of road to turn off and on; check.  Then truck wouldn't jump or turn over ..."tic tic tic tic..." Which is normally a starter/alternator issue.  However, given the codes / vehicle messages / problem doesn't seem to sell me...  Trying to figure out if I buy a new starter / altenator and replace it <or> tow to mech.  I didn't know this is a common prob. with gm's... Any ideas?  

I've been dealing with the same issue. I get code p0191 along with stabilitrak and reduced engine power pop up.
Plugs
Wires
Fuel rail cleaning
Fuel rail sensor
Fuel pump
Nothing has fixed the issue and I have to keep an obd2 reader handy to clear the codes in order for the car to drive properly . Bad situation. Thinking that the throttle body or position sensor may be the issue , but I'm going broke trying to find a fix at this point .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk