Swing out tool box

I have one, love it - perfect tool box for what I need. I've had it for 5+ years & swapped it from my '14 that was totaled to my current '15 & it still performs well & has held up great. 

2 install recommendations since I've done it a couple times - #1 DO NOT use the supplied self tapping screws - if you carry anywhere close to the max weight limit in the box eventually those self tapping screws will get loose, & if I remember correctly rusted as well. I used marine grade stainless nuts/bolts & accessed the inside of the rear fender by pulling the liner out - maybe easier yet would be pulling the taillight - do it right once & never touch again....& I'm sure you exceed the weight limit doing it that way.

#2 - IMO you'll want to install it as low as possible in order to accommodate tonneau cover closures - I have an Advantage Hardhat tri-fold cover (similar if not same as the GM tri-fold) & the levers that grab to the bed rails would be difficult/impossible to use if you install the box too high, so you'll want to test fit a few times make sure its at the right height - it may not work well or at all w/ some covers. The other thing is you don't want it TOO low, while it'll swing fine in the bed itself nearly flush w/ it, once you swing it out w/ the tailgate down you'll notice the tailgate sits a little higher & @ a slight angle, so need to make sure you have just enough clearance to move freely over that - for me it was spacing the bottom back bolt just 3" level on center from the lowest portion of the bed next to it (that's not going to be exact for every truck as I have a spray liner, it's a curved section of the bed, & not every truck bed/tailgate will be the same. See pics so you know what I mean.

Lastly - you'll wanna give the hinge a spray of lithium grease every few months, & this 2nd time around of installing it I scuffed up the bracket a bit & hit it up w/ some black rustoleum to give a little extra protection. It's a great piece - I keep ratcheting straps, jumper cables, tools, bungy cords, few emergency water bottles, etc. etc. no problem. Works as a cooler for tailgates too!

IMG_6359.jpg

IMG_6360.jpg

IMG_6361.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jmiller11331 said:

That's perfect the only problem is I haul a lot of wood in my truck and don't wanna lose floor space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I absolutely LOVE my swingcase.    swing it open.  lift it off the bracket and presto! Full space available immediately.  Put the toolbox in the cab or whatever, then empty bed, toolbox back in its usual spot.  Easy peasy. Cant say the same for any other kind of toolbox.

That's why I absolutely LOVE my swingcase.    swing it open.  lift it off the bracket and presto! Full space available immediately.  Put the toolbox in the cab or whatever, then empty bed, toolbox back in its usual spot.  Easy peasy. Cant say the same for any other kind of toolbox.

Oh ok, I forgot about it coming off!! Even better

2 hours ago, Jmiller11331 said:

Do I absolutely need to cut my bed liner to install this box?

no, you don't have to cut spray-in liners out.

if you have a drop-in liner, that's a different story. Probly will have to cut that to make a solid mount.

the problem with drop-in liners is they don't fit tight to all the contours on the side rail. you need to mount the bracket tight to the steel or the swing-case won't fit securely.

I think i remember somebody mounting the bracket behind his plastic liner and only cutting holes for where the hinge sticks out and the clip that holds the front end. you would have to see how much room is behind yours.

Unfortunately, you aren't going to get a secure mount without some kind of cutting.....

the problem with drop-in liners is they don't fit tight to all the contours on the side rail. you need to mount the bracket tight to the steel or the swing-case won't fit securely.

I think i remember somebody mounting the bracket behind his plastic liner and only cutting holes for where the hinge sticks out and the clip that holds the front end. you would have to see how much room is behind yours.

Unfortunately, you aren't going to get a secure mount without some kind of cutting.....

Damn...I wish I would have had it sprayed in

7 hours ago, crushNchowda said:

install recommendations since I've done it a couple times - #1 DO NOT use the supplied self tapping screws - if you carry anywhere close to the max weight limit in the box eventually those self tapping screws will get loose, & if I remember correctly rusted as well. I used marine grade stainless nuts/bolts & accessed the inside of the rear fender by pulling the liner out - maybe easier yet would be pulling the taillight - do it right once & never touch again....& I'm sure you exceed the weight limit doing it that way.

1 hour ago, Jmiller11331 said:

I have a drop in liner unfortunately

If you do what cruchNchowda suggests, I'd think that you should be able to drill holes thru the liner and box, then use bolts/nuts/washers to attach the case mount..........This is what I'm considering for my truck, as I have the plastic liner as well.

If you do what cruchNchowda suggests, I'd think that you should be able to dill holes thru the liner and box, then use bolts/nuts/washers to attach the case mount..........This is what I'm considering for my truck, as I have the plastic liner as well.

Yeah I was planning on using bolts as well because it's gonna be a lot stronger

Archived