Swing out tool box

Anybody have the swing out tool box installed in their Silverado? I've looked on google for pictures on how they look when in the box and if they line up with the wheel wells too. If anybody could upload a picture that has them, I would appreciate it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing i read about them is that they crack at the base if you overfill them with weight, since the entire thing is ABS plastic. I think once mounted they are as wide as the wheel wells.

they are heavy duty I cant imagine how one might break ,they arent big enough to overload
I have my hitch, jumper cables,and assorted tools in mine

DSC01912_zpszqj1dmd9.jpg

DSC01911_zpsp8zbzk7x.jpg

I can't tell very well if it's flush with the wheel well? If so I really wanna get one

There should be dimensions for it listed somewhere.  Could then just measure from the side out to the wheel well to tell.   From the first pic, it looks like it sticks out past the wheel well by a few inches. 

A long time ago, my grandfather made something similar out of wood that went over the wheel wheels.   I'd like to do something simliar, but I'm still trying to figure out how to attach them

22 minutes ago, NathanielDDay said:

How do you like your bed cover?  I am in the market for a new one and the revolver is on my list.

I like it.  Some vinyl starting to crack though, and they sent me a new top.   Cracks aren't leaking so I am continuing to use my old one until it starts leaking and will swap to the new one.  I like it a ton better than the BakFlip F1 that I had previously.

I have one swing case. I love it.

If you are asking if you would maintain the same clearance width as exists between your wheelwells, YOU WILL NOT.

example, full sheet of plywood slides in bed with no obstructions. With the swingcase installed, you have to now slide it UNDER the base of the toolbox. It only overlaps by and inch or two. The swingcase mounts a little above the bed so you can fit a sheet or 2 under it, no problems.

But if you need to put a pile of plywood/drywall in the bed, you will need to remove the swingcase. Not a problem though as it just lifts off the hinge.

Also, I agree with the weight thing. You would have to fill it with steel parts before you would break anything. I have mine almost jammed full of gear, hitches, straps, jumper cables, gloves, bungies, anything else i can think of. and i have never felt like it was too heavy, or going to break out the bottom.

21 minutes ago, Robopie said:

I like it.  Some vinyl starting to crack though, and they sent me a new top.   Cracks aren't leaking so I am continuing to use my old one until it starts leaking and will swap to the new one.  I like it a ton better than the BakFlip F1 that I had previously.

Thanks.  I have the vinyl OEM roll-up from Chevy and my velcro has worn out.  

I have one swing case. I love it.
If you are asking if you would maintain the same clearance width as exists between your wheelwells, YOU WILL NOT.

example, full sheet of plywood slides in bed with no obstructions. With the swingcase installed, you have to now slide it UNDER the base of the toolbox. It only overlaps by and inch or two. The swingcase mounts a little above the bed so you can fit a sheet or 2 under it, no problems.
But if you need to put a pile of plywood/drywall in the bed, you will need to remove the swingcase. Not a problem though as it just lifts off the hinge.

Also, I agree with the weight thing. You would have to fill it with steel parts before you would break anything. I have mine almost jammed full of gear, hitches, straps, jumper cables, gloves, bungies, anything else i can think of. and i have never felt like it was too heavy, or going to break out the bottom.

Damn ok thanks

Im on my secoynd one had one in my 2010 Silverado luved it never had a cracking issue and I used it alot.

Have new one in my 2017 Sierra it is made of more ABS. Than last one but seems ok so far. This time I mounted mine as high as possible so you can slide more under it but as has been said easy to lift off 

I heard the 2019  will have something similar from factory as option 

I've had the swing out case for about 1yr now.  Love it.  I must say though, when I saw the 2019 silverado side boxes, that's the ticket.  I've sitting here thinking about how to build something like that and then I saw them in the '19!!  Anyway, The swing out case is well built.  It came with self tapping screw bolts.  Of course, that doesn't sit well with me.  I drilled the holes, removed the tail light and then used regular hex bolts and a flanged washer/Nut on the backside of the bed metal.  And Used blue loctite.  No chance of it pulling out now or vibrating loose.  Yes I would buy them again. 

Archived