Dynamic Fuel Management

My son just had to replace a battery on his start-stop Malibu. It was over 400$ on a 15 model. They have two batteries. Another gimmick for fuel mileage savings that cost more money than the fuel savings its produces. That and a small turbo motor- more moving parts to fail. Another reason I drive a Camry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Family member here likes and is having good experience with start-stop malibu. 

IIRC, should be about 40,000 miles on it now. (about 20 months)

I don't know how much the start-stop contributes but the car gets noticeably better mileage than '14 impala V6 that I thought was pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:20 AM, jono20 said:

Yes, not yet, but compared to a port-injected solid pushrod motor like the 6.0 L96 it's very likely to be the case in the long-term.

If that were the case then after Kitty Hawk there shouldn't have been another Wright Brothers word in history. Where does this 'sense' of logic spring from? Nowhere 'common'!

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

If that were the case then after Kitty Hawk there shouldn't have been another Wright Brothers word in history. Where does this 'sense' of logic spring from? Nowhere 'common'!

So an EcoTec 3 is more reliable than a Vortec because it's more complicated..? Is it so hard to imagine that reliability was intentionally sacrificed for the sake of fuel efficiency?

59 minutes ago, jono20 said:

So an EcoTec 3 is more reliable than a Vortec because it's more complicated..? Is it so hard to imagine that reliability was intentionally sacrificed for the sake of fuel efficiency?

By that reckoning the Model T flat four would be more reliable than the Vortec. :thumbs:

Is it so hard to imagine refinement breeds reliability? 

On 1/21/2018 at 1:15 PM, redwngr said:

Family member here likes and is having good experience with start-stop malibu. 

IIRC, should be about 40,000 miles on it now. (about 20 months)

I don't know how much the start-stop contributes but the car gets noticeably better mileage than '14 impala V6 that I thought was pretty good.

The start stop is good for 1 mpg. I wonder how long the starters hold up with people that drive in stop and go traffic.

Archived