Speed Limiter hides vehicle manufacturers defect from consumers

Correct but the point was if you’re running 70, you better be in the far right lane and still expect the stink eye from everyone that’s passing you.   I don’t like it but it’s reality.   I don’t t exceed 75-77 ever, and prefer to avoid I-10, state line to state line*.

*this endorsement NOT approved by the local chamber of commerce or MHP

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most comfortable speed I’ve found in my frequent travels between Texas and South Carolina is around 72. There are a few going faster but you can relax in the right lane and not passing every 5 seconds. The only time it’s a pain is after weight stations when big trucks are jockeying for position. It’s really fun when they pass going up hill. Florida has the best rest areas on the I-10 HWY, there about every 30 miles. It’s adds an hour to my trip to myrtal beach from Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I fixed the truck!!! The dealer could not because they had to work with a flawed GM design. After two stock aluminum driveshafts produced horrible vibrations, I purchased a steel two piece driveshaft and added a center support for the carrier bearing. Wala! All vibrations gone. The truck can be driven as I deem necessary now. It is as smooth as the stock Goodyear tires can make it! It cost me some $$, but no where near the cost to trade out for another brand. If your shaky Chevy or GMC is driving you nuts, I can tell you the man to call for the fix. 

On 12/3/2017 at 7:28 PM, Bart’s Silverado said:

Brand new 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 2WD, 600 miles. Has a speed limiter limiting the vehicle speed to 98 MPH. I installed a tuner to just raise this parameter only. At 99 MPH the truck began a drivetrain vibration that increased with speed. At 100-103 MPH it was extremely bad with a loud sound that filled the cabin and a vibration that felt like the drivetrain was about to fly apart. At 109 MPH the vibration ceased entirely. Slowing down from there the exact opposite happend with the vibration and noise subsiding entirely by 93 MPH. The truck also has developed a loud vibration noise at 52-55, and 34-39 MPH as the torque converter locks and unlocks. It will last as long as that speed and constant foot feed is maintained. I’ve owned many Chevrolet pickups to include a 1990 Silverado 1500 that could go over 140 mpg! I’ve never experienced this vibration and noise before. Could this be a problem on all 1500s that GM is covering up with software? I expect a $51,000 truck to be able to travel at 100 MPH if required without coming apart!!!! Any others experienced this? If so, was it diagnosed? Was it repaired? What was the diagnosis and the repair? Did the repaired problem return later? Thanks, Bart

The truck is fixed! Smooth as the stock tires will let it be. No more vibrations at any speed!! The dealer gave up but I didn't. The culprit is the aluminum driveshaft that is in these trucks. I had a custom two piece steel driveshaft setup with center carrier bearing support installed in place of the stock shaft. All vibrations disappeared instantly! After two stock shafts I had enough. It cost me some $$, but no where near the cost of trading for another brand! I now have a real Chevy like many I had before it. If your at your wits end with your shaky truck, this fix may work for you too!!

My point is my 7 year old Ford with 114,000 miles on it has never left me walking, whereas my 7 day old, $51,000 Chevy Silverado with 657 miles just blew its transmission! Poor manufacturing quality on GM’s part! 

May have been a fluke!! I had a brand new Ford in the shop 10 times in the first six months I owned it.. Finally got rid of it after the service manager suggested trading it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All brands are going to have their bad batch of vehicles. I have a vibration between 75 and 80, but other then that I have had very little problems with my truck. Its paid off now and I don't see any reason to trade it in. I have heard stories from dodges to chevys to fords and it must just be the luck of the drawn when you buy a vehicle. It sucks when the dealership and the manufacturer won't fix the vehicle, but that is why there is a lemon law. This is another reason I won't modify my vehicle till its out of warranty because I don't want them to use the excuse and aftermarket part caused the problem. 

They all build a bad one occasionally. It's the nature of mass production, and how complicated all vehicles have become.

With that said, I have had my truck well above the normal cut off point and it was smooth as butter, and my transmission did not fail! LOL

On 2/7/2018 at 12:27 AM, Bart’s Silverado said:

I fixed the truck!!! The dealer could not because they had to work with a flawed GM design. After two stock aluminum driveshafts produced horrible vibrations, I purchased a steel two piece driveshaft and added a center support for the carrier bearing. Wala! All vibrations gone. The truck can be driven as I deem necessary now. It is as smooth as the stock Goodyear tires can make it! It cost me some $$, but no where near the cost to trade out for another brand. If your shaky Chevy or GMC is driving you nuts, I can tell you the man to call for the fix. 

I think it all started because you bought a 2wd instead of 4wd!!!????

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 9:35 AM, Bart’s Silverado said:

The 2010 F250 can best 98 mpg in about 1/8th of a mile and best 140 at about a mile. All without being thrown out of a plane. I’d say my Chevy could get close to that if it had a good transmission and no speed limiter! I’m still trying to find out if the tranny speaks Spanish or French??? (Central America or Canada)

Thems' fightin' words ...  Did he just bring Canada into this???

At this point I'm just glad to have a smooth riding truck. Warranty issues are the least of my worries currently. It would serve in GMs best interest for the transmission and rear pinion to not be vibrated to death like was happening with the stock one piece. I also did not lose any fuel mileage which indicates to me that GM could smooth out their trucks if they wanted to. My brothers Denali with the 5.3 only got 85,000 on its first engine. My other brothers Silverado barely made it 60,000 on its first engine. My warranty lasts till 75,000 so I'll get rid of it before then unless it does not give any further major problems. If that is the case I'll wear it out because it does ride nice now!

Archived