Speed Limiter hides vehicle manufacturers defect from consumers

Here's hoping. If you get a new one go take it for a spin prior, go tear down the interstate, around town, get a nice shakedown cruise. 

Good luck, I hope you get a solid truck like my beast. The only problem I've encountered is I rack up miles too fast because I love to drive

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Camaro's with same 6L80  transmission can handle well over 100 with no problem.

Wait....nope....they have had recalls for the tranny...cooler lines were also bad.....were killing rear axles.....

Do some googling on their issues....its across the board. They dont make em like they used to.

On 12/19/2017 at 11:35 PM, CadillacLuke24 said:

Here's hoping. If you get a new one go take it for a spin prior, go tear down the interstate, around town, get a nice shakedown cruise. 

Good luck, I hope you get a solid truck like my beast. The only problem I've encountered is I rack up miles too fast because I love to drive

I have started the process for my truck to be replaced. It’s defects were in it from day one. I’ve been called everything but my name on here as some evil truck destroying warlock. This one is just a pretty lemon. I suspect it will be bought back and quickly crushed by GM. My dealer and their service personnel have been extremely caring in this ordeal and I have explained that they are just the retailer for a product and sometimes those product come from the factory defective. The vehicles they sell are made by man. I parked the Chevy two weeks ago and reluctantly have been driving my much harsher riding Ford. Hopefully Chevrolet will quickly resolve this issue and get me motering in a GM product again soon. I will ask for any potential replacement truck to be sent home overnight with me so my wife and son can also drive it/them.

3 hours ago, Bart’s Silverado said:

I suspect it will be bought back and quickly crushed by GM.

Never happen Bart. That truck will be on a dealer lot within days of them taking it back (if they do).

I never expected a brand new $51,000 Chevrolet truck would have the issues this one has. I watch young boys drive the hell out of their jacked up Chevy trucks with no breakages at all. Get mine on the interstate and it flies all to pieces underneath. It does look good doing it too and is beautiful albeit expensive yard art for my front lawn! First 950 miles of ownership: a tow truck ride, a new transmission, new torque converter, and new driveshaft. I still say the problem is in the rear axle!! Word from GM is silence. 

24 minutes ago, Bart’s Silverado said:

I never expected a brand new $51,000 Chevrolet truck would have the issues this one has. I watch young boys drive the hell out of their jacked up Chevy trucks with no breakages at all. Get mine on the interstate and it flies all to pieces underneath. It does look good doing it too and is beautiful albeit expensive yard art for my front lawn! First 950 miles of ownership: a tow truck ride, a new transmission, new torque converter, and new driveshaft. I still say the problem is in the rear axle!! Word from GM is silence. 

So ----- you're one of those people who believe GM gives a rat's ass?

On 12/4/2017 at 6:12 AM, Logan Lanfear said:

You used it for something it wasn't designed or built to do.  Now you're complaining that you went and broke it?  Typical liberal logic.  

Actually it is neocon logic. Bankers and Wall Street get to blow up the economy and they get bailed out by the government who stick the tab to the taxpayers and their children. Add in a get out of jail free approach by the Justice Department and small wonder that there is so much abuse.

19 hours ago, Wintersun said:

Actually it is neocon logic. Bankers and Wall Street get to blow up the economy and they get bailed out by the government who stick the tab to the taxpayers and their children. Add in a get out of jail free approach by the Justice Department and small wonder that there is so much abuse.

The reason:

Jerimiah 10:23 (BBE) I know, Jehovah, that man’s course does not belong to him; walking and placing his step does not belong to any man.

The result:

Ecclesiastes 8:9 (BBE) All this I saw, keeping my mind on all the work that was done under the sun, at a time when man had control of man to his own harm.

God gave us the steering wheel when we said we could drive better than he can and we drove it straight into the ditch. No logic to it.  

update: first driveshaft was out of round. This destroyed the tail shaft section of the trans at 650 miles on the odometer. Trans repaired and new torque converter installed. Over the next 260 miles the vibration was still there. Took it back, this time they actually determined the driveshaft was out of round and replaced it along with determining the driveshaft was the reason for the first failure. Got it back but truck now had a different vibration. Took it back for 3rd visit. This time a bad tire was found and all four were force balanced. New vibration some better but still there. Test drove a 2018 truck. It vibrates too. GM say they are not responsible, that the truck is performing per design. The dealer has bent over backwards and admits there is nothing else repair wise they can do. Over the last couple days I’ve drove it a couple hundred miles and the driveshaft vibration is coming back. It should be noted that the new driveshaft was only one half as out of round as the original one, hence the vibration changing its frequency that it appears. I’ve determined that it is just a negative characteristic of the truck’s engineering and I’m stuck with the decision to live with it or take a loss and trade this new truck for a different brand, or trade into a different model GM vehicle. Basically no good option left. Hopefully this issue helps innocents make the decision to steer clear of these trucks. Praying that the 2019 redesign solves these vibration drivability issues??!!

14 hours ago, Bart’s Silverado said:

I’m stuck with the decision to live with it or take a loss and trade this new truck for a different brand, or trade into a different model GM vehicle. Basically no good option left. 

Have you considered enlisting the services of someone like Moser to make a new shaft that can actually get it right? It would be much cheaper, no matter how much it cost, that a trade of any sort. Yea, not warranty but if they can't fix it, it can't get fixed. 

One critical part of this you may want to consider is that truck tires are not speed rated for what you're trying to do.....They're built for load, not speed. If they make a truck to drive at 140, you won't be able to tow your trailer anyway, the load rating of a high speed tire is much lower... Just my 2 cents...

Hope you get it all sorted out.....

What an interesting read.   Thanks guys.

Bart - glad you have some resolution, more than some here might have expected.   I suspect most - if not all - would wish you well, but many of your posts were very accusatory and abrasive.   That’s ok, but probably explains some of the reactions you subsequently objected to.  Certainly you are entitled but so are they.  

You’re accurate in describing I-10 as an 85MPH zone from Biloxi right up to Pensacola.   

Meanwhile, I have a couple of real questions:   What’s the recommended break-in period, is it 500 or 1000?    Even after I hit whichever, I’d still be concerned enough about longevity not to drive it like I was shuttling illegals across the border.  (Lots of metaphors here, I chose this one for Bernie Wintersun).

Also, previously noted, Bart do you still run the factory-supplied tires?   Yikes!  100MPH+ on the GY GSA’s...?

Archived