Truck Tool Box

Looking to get a tool box for my ‘16 Z71. I want something with a low profile. Mainly to get my gear in. And also interested to see any hack hacks that people have done to there tool boxes. Do people put any type of rubber under the sides before mounting it to the side rails of their truck and what do you all use to mount it. I see the hardware they come with, but I have heard of people using different things.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking to get a tool box for my ‘16 Z71. I want something with a low profile. Mainly to get my gear in. And also interested to see any hack hacks that people have done to there tool boxes. Do people put any type of rubber under the sides before mounting it to the side rails of their truck and what do you all use to mount it. I see the hardware they come with, but I have heard of people using different things.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most boxes will come with foam tape for the rails, but in reality; it's going to scuff the bed rails eventually. I used pieces of a rubber mat under mine, but dirt will eventually get under it and wear the paint, off just like a plastic bedliner.

I added lights to mine (exterior) when I had one...even added a 22 gallon fuel cell to one as a hidden auxiliary tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I've always run plastic bed rail caps on my trucks, then put the toolbox on top of that. For mounting, I've done a mix of drilling through the box/bed rails and bolting down, but last time I found heavy duty j bolts from a local store for toolboxes. Used two per side and have been happy with that. They just hook under the lip of the bed rail and use a flange nut inside the tool box.

As for mods, I've put stick on LED lights strips in the box and on the lid wired to a switch so I could see what is in there at night. Don't always need it, but is very handy.

I have suggested in similar posts that I've had great luck at local aluminum fabrication shops.  I have two within 25 mi of me that make custom truck boxes as a stock item.  They will make or modify to meet your needs.  I would not buy the store brand truck boxes when you can get a stronger, better built box to your specifications for a good price.

Here is my Northern Tool low profile box which is made by Better Built.
1e82722e5bbc957c36004b8c5a5ddd03.jpgf9602b6c8770be9ac0340e915812664a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Off topic I know but I have to ask you. Lift, wheels and tires on your truck. It sits about perfect! The whole setup looks great!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Off topic I know but I have to ask you. Lift, wheels and tires on your truck. It sits about perfect! The whole setup looks great!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thank you. It's a Readylift 2.25" level sitting on Moto Metal 970s wrapped in 305/55/20 Toyo AT2. I have since added the 1" taller block in the rear to reduce sag when hauling my enclosed trailer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have a custom made back rack that works around my UWS gull wing tool box. I like being able to access the box from the side.  I also had several tie down points included when I was having the rack custom made. After I built it, I realized that I wanted to protect the box form big cargo like pallets or my quad. I bolted a piece of unistrut across the back to keep the aluminum box form getting crushed. I’ll try to get some more pictures when I get back into town.

A1EF5CFF-788B-4CBA-A30B-EB688309BBEF.jpeg

Edited by Z2Z

Best brand toolbox made IMO is Weather Guard. Not cheap but will outlast other brands. Came with rubber moldings that went between the box and rails and a no drill fasten system. Solid well made 

Another very well made option...Highway Products...

I had them custom make this box. I wanted something a little narrower than the standard size to maximize bed space. It is made of thick gauge aluminum, 100% powder coated inside and out. The bottom is their standard semi-gloss wrinkle finish and the lid is called leopard finish where they lightly shave the tops of the diamond tread after powder coating to give it a two tone look. Something a little different that looks pretty cool. All hardware is 100% stainless (piano hinge, lock, lock rod, etc...). On the rear lower corners, there are two tie down cleats...and they even provide a bottle opener on the inside lid to open those cold refreshments when you so desire...

This box also came with self adhesive foam strips and no-drill J-Hooks for mounting...

I added a couple battery operated LEDs on the lid for the time being. I plan to install a couple small LED strips inside and tie these into the bed rail lights... 

Tool Box side.JPG

Tool box rear.JPG

Tool Box LED (day).JPG

Tool Box LED (night) up close.JPG

Side 2.JPG