Cab Lights when needed

Are cab lights needed for any reason or are they just for looks? I am buying a new 8.5 x26 enclosed trailer with a gross rating of 9900lb.

The total length is just over 30'. I also sometimes see the 5 light system on the top front of the trailer. Are there any federal requirements?

Are they required for any tow vehicle/ trailer over 80" wide? I don't know if the regulations are the same in every state. But I think its a state DOT thing, not federal. If you let us know what state you are in, maybe someone can help you with more info.

On a similar vein, would/should a SRW pickup w/ a sled/ATV 'deck' installed not require them? At least have clearance lights @ the corners of the deck.

http://www.truckbossdecks.com/SLIDES3/images/TRUCKBOSS-ATV-005.jpg

The 1 in the pic shows a red marker light, but I have met them on the highway where there was no orange lamp @ the front corner.

On a similar vein, would/should a SRW pickup w/ a sled/ATV 'deck' installed not require them? At least have clearance lights @ the corners of the deck.

The 1 in the pic shows a red marker light, but I have met them on the highway where there was no orange lamp @ the front corner.

That pic, wow, talking about raising the center of gravity! Wonder how that Ram would do on a skidpad with that load? lol Not sure about clearance lights on that platform, but that load does obstruct the 3rd brake light (CHML) and I would think that would be a violation on any vehicle originally equipped with that.

For that 102" trailer, if the truck doesn't have them, the trailer must.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This is where my question comes from. The trailer is a V nose and it does not give a good place to install 3 lights in the middle. it is new and does have marker lights at each corner in the front.

That pic, wow, talking about raising the center of gravity! Wonder how that Ram would do on a skidpad with that load? lol

X2

That's a set up I don't want to try.

Technically for that setup, you need the five cab clearance lights and three markers in the center of the tailgate too...trailers over 80 inches usually have those three lights which covers that requirement.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

This is where my question comes from. The trailer is a V nose and it does not give a good place to install 3 lights in the middle. it is new and does have marker lights at each corner in the front.

For example, this is why campers have those lights on the front of them, a lot of tow rigs don't have clearance lights...even my 2016 passport has them. That's so the tow vehicle doesn't need them.

With that said, I've towed my 102inch by 18 foot equipment trailer in almost every state in the east, and even some to the west. I've never been questioned, none of my tow rigs have had clearance lights.

However, I know guys that have been fined by DOT for not having those lights all because they had a rock rig with a number on the side (considered a race car, and for profit; which makes you commercial). Point is, if you aren't going good to run the clearance lights, look as non-commercial as possible.

For example, this is why campers have those lights on the front of them, a lot of tow rigs don't have clearance lights...even my 2016 passport has them. That's so the tow vehicle doesn't need them.

With that said, I've towed my 102inch by 18 foot equipment trailer in almost every state in the east, and even some to the west. I've never been questioned, none of my tow rigs have had clearance lights.

However, I know guys that have been fined by DOT for not having those lights all because they had a rock rig with a number on the side (considered a race car, and for profit; which makes you commercial). Point is, if you aren't going good to run the clearance lights, look as non-commercial as possible.

:thumbs:

Guys I knew @ work were in northern Ontario for a week of snowmobiling. They had borrowed a plain white cube van w/ a yellow sticker (commercial in Ontario) & a 2 place open sled trailer as a chase vehicle to carry their gear & in case a sled broke down. Their personal trucks were left @ the starting point.

The driver of the van was stopped by the MTO (our DOT) & was ticketed for towing a non-commercial trailer (no safety inspection/no yellow sticker) w/ a commercial vehicle.

Like said, if you plan to tow over 8ft wide you need then either on the trailer or cab. That's why the 3500 comes stock with them, the assume you will be towing a wide trailer. Since you are on a Federal Hwy and it is a DOT requirement I would say it is pretty standard from State to State.

• 3 months later...

California only requires them if your truck is more than 80" wide, IE why all "Duallies" have them.  OTHERWISE, it's purely a cosmetic thing, some guys like the look on their truck.  In CA, only two are required, outer positions, the three in the middle are optional, EXCEPT for commercial trucks.

Archived