Brake torque specs

• 9 months later...
22 hours ago, FL335i said:

Doing my break job this upcoming weekend.  Searched for this....  Thanks again buddy.  Can't believe the front caliper pin bolts are 74Lbs!

He is referring to caliper mounting bolts, not the sliding caliper pin bolts!    I think those sliding pin bolts should only be tightened snug.  I assume that these are floating calipers.  

I always make the caliper brackets VERY tight, and I use medium strength Threadlocker / Lock-Tite on them. The caliper pins need to be reefed down pretty good, but nothing extreme. Just make sure that everything is tight enough that a 10 year old kid would not be able to break them loose with a standard ratchet. Both of those items have large bolts, and its pretty unlikely that you will strip them.  

Edited by starman8tdc

• 3 years later...
On 7/16/2018 at 8:31 PM, pm26 said:

He is referring to caliper mounting bolts, not the sliding caliper pin bolts!    I think those sliding pin bolts should only be tightened snug.  I assume that these are floating calipers.  

I followed his torque spec and it worked out.  74 foot pounds for the bolts connecting the FRONT brake calipers to the caliper brackets.  And 170 foot pounds for the bolts connecting the FRONT brake caliper brackets to the steering knuckles.  Worked out perfectly fine.