New - few questions (keyless fob - remote start & Power lock

Just purchased a 2011 Silverado LT crew cab knowing it had a few issues. I have a few questions:

First post on this forum so thanks for any input.

The truck did not come with the key fobs, only 1 key.

1) Can I purchase key fobs and program myself

2) How can I determine if the truck has remote start

3) The drivers side door auto lock switch is not working. The unlock works and both switches work on the passenger side.

4) door speaker on driver's side not working so wondering if this could be related to potential electrical issue that ties in with the door lock not working.

Just purchased a 2011 Silverado LT crew cab knowing it had a few issues. I have a few questions:

First post on this forum so thanks for any input.

The truck did not come with the key fobs, only 1 key.

1) Can I purchase key fobs and program myself

No. Dealer must program.

2) How can I determine if the truck has remote start

Glovebox label with the build codes or your dealer. Look for AP8 or AP3. AP8 is factory keyless entry with remote start prep, and AP3 is keyless entry with factory installed remote start. If it was added by a dealer, there should be another label in the glovebox that indicates it was installed.

3) The drivers side door auto lock switch is not working. The unlock works and both switches work on the passenger side.

Probably a bad lock switch. Common on 2007-2013 body style.

4) door speaker on driver's side not working so wondering if this could be related to potential electrical issue that ties in with the door lock not working.

Could be, but swap speaker from the passenger door to driver and re-test.

Thanks for replies. RPO code is AP3 so looks like it has remote start.

I'll give other suggestions a try.

So,you would need the remote start fob kit with the VIN code and they will program and turn in your remote start. I just had this done a few months ago. Cost me $200.00 for the GM kit with 2 key fobs and $80.00 for the dealer to program and turn on remote start.

So,you would need the remote start fob kit with the VIN code and they will program and turn in your remote start. I just had this done a few months ago. Cost me $200.00 for the GM kit with 2 key fobs and $80.00 for the dealer to program and turn on remote start.

No. AP3 means it was built with remote start. If it had AP8 you would need the fob kit. Check my first post in response to the OP.

No. AP3 means it was built with remote start. If it had AP8 you would need the fob kit. Check my first post in response to the OP.

Shit your right!! My bad, I had the AP8 code if you have AP3 you just need a set of the remote start fobs and get them programmed. Should be cheaper too!!!

I see GM ones on eBay all the time.

Slugworth. Thanks for confirming that. So you say you see them EBay. But I still have to take them to dealer to get programed......correct. i guess not like my old 1999 Suburban that I can program myself

Slugworth. Thanks for confirming that. So you say you see them EBay. But I still have to take them to dealer to get programed......correct. i guess not like my old 1999 Suburban that I can program myself

Correct, either a GM dealer, or if someone at an independent garage has one of the top end Snap On (possibly Mac) scan tools, they usually have access to the programming function for key fobs.

Just went threw this with my 2011. Got the key fobs here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-FOR-GMC-SIERRA-2500-HD-07-14-Keyless-Entry-Remote-Control-Key-Fob-OUC60270/201735374713?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 Check around for pricing for programing. Pricing for me varied widely from $75 per fob (locksmith) to the cheapest $30 for both at a Chevy dealer.

Just went threw this with my 2011. Got the key fobs here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-FOR-GMC-SIERRA-2500-HD-07-14-Keyless-Entry-Remote-Control-Key-Fob-OUC60270/201735374713?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 Check around for pricing for programing. Pricing for me varied widely from $75 per fob (locksmith) to the cheapest $30 for both at a Chevy dealer.

There ya go!!

Nice!!!

• 3 weeks later...

The dealer here where I am wanted over $400 to "install " the kit on my truck for the remote start. My truck has the AP8 code in the glove box. All the kit consists of is 2 key fobs and a access code that they get from GM. I talked to the advisor at the dealership and informed him that I got my own remotes. He got really offensive at that point. Probably because I wasn't buying the remotes from him. He said sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. He also said that he would try to program it but either way, he was going to charge me $54.88 for trying. From what I have gathered, all it requires is for them to flash the computer to activate it and then sync the remotes. I talked to the GM headquarters and they informed me that it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to be in and out. Am I wrong?

Archived