Free Onstar Basic plan expiring? what happens next

I think there are many like myself who love the Onstar Basic plan, aka the app for remote start, lock/unlock functions on my phone. I even have my wife's Terrain connected to the same app so I can switch between the vehicles.

But has anyone reached the point where the initial free term expired? If so what happens and can you extend this service?

I bought a 2015 and got 5 years free. I know it changed around alot, when do the 2014s expire? My wife's was purchased used and I think we only get 2 years with that one.

Main point is, I would be willing to pay a small fee if I had to to keep the app working as long as I own the truck, but I will not pay for any of their other "services". So anyone out there know what happens next?

I already answered this in the other thread. Anything from 2014-up gets the Basic plan free for 5 years. After that (as of right now) your service will end. Hopefully GM changes this and offers a low-cost Basic plan.

The app will continue to work regardless if your service expires. I let mine expire and still use the app on a daily basis.

That's because you have the Basic plan free for 5 years. Your service did not expire -- you are just not on one of the paid plans. See above.

That's great for him to say. Unfortunately GM is not Onstar. The app is operated by Onstar.

Actually GM is OnStar (GM developed and owns Onstar).

First time On Star subscriber since we recently purchased our 2017 Sierra. I was blown away by the prices for this service. 3 months are free and an additional 3 months if I give them a payment method up front. Then after the trial period is up it was 19.99 for the basic and iirc 24.99 for plus and 34.99 for the full deal. Plus 10.00/mo more if we want unlimited data. All that on top of an almost 700.00 per month payment. Not to mention the monthly fee if we want to keep Sirius/XM active.

I'd better plant that money tree soon.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

It is not $19.99 for the "Basic" plan. That plan is included FREE for 5 years from the date you bought the truck (and it gets transferred to the new owner if you sell/trade the truck). Also if you search these forums you can find that you can get SiriusXM for around $5/month if you negotiate with them (not free but still pretty cheap).

Edited by sk
  • Like 2

My wife's used 2016 Buick has the remote start app, and we've since let the Onstar expire and the app still works.

Onstar has not yet expired on my new 2017 Silverado, but I have no plans to continue it past three months.

Even my dealer told me that they "don't know" what will happen at 5 years out, since they haven't run into that yet. He did have faith that GM would take care of their customers . . .

I envision a monthly change that I'll have to subscribe to because 5 years of app starting will to hard to turn off. :nopity:

The one time I needed OnStar I pressed the button and was told that my 700+ minutes had expired and despite still having 3 active subscriptions with minutes on the other vehicles they wouldn't place the call. Thanks to GM because I no longer need them.

Unless a real base model, all GM '16s and up are Bluetooth and AutoAndroid/Iphone capable.....so who needs OnStar? Download the appropriate AutoAndroid/iphone app and the My Chevrolet app and you're all set.

Plug your cellphone into the network adapter and you have access to all your stored music, phone info, and voice command Google maps....now voice access to phone, Nav directions through the AA app and vehicle status, map locator, remote start, mileage, etc through the MyChevrolet app. with readouts on both the 8" screen and speedometer screens! Cancelled service on the '16 Silvy, '16 Malibu and the '17 Impala expired with no renewal......saved over $600/yr. and bought S7 Samsungs for the vehicles to run the apps in case I forget my main cell. Unfortunately couldn't do that with the '15 Traverse which is not AA upgradeable.

• Like 1

.....so who needs OnStar?

Thom, you missed my point to begin this topic. We all know Onstar's paid subscription plans are a joke and not worth the paper they mail you junkmail ads on.

My point is that the ONE single function we value- the My Chevrolet/ My GMC app is dependent on them, and only good for 5 years on a new vehicle, or less if you buy used. So how do we contiune using those apps, without paying for the other junk service plans?

The one time I needed OnStar I pressed the button and was told that my 700+ minutes had expired and despite still having 3 active subscriptions with minutes on the other vehicles they wouldn't place the call. Thanks to GM because I no longer need them.

Unless a real base model, all GM '16s and up are Bluetooth and AutoAndroid/Iphone capable.....so who needs OnStar? Download the appropriate AutoAndroid/iphone app and the My Chevrolet app and you're all set.

Plug your cellphone into the network adapter and you have access to all your stored music, phone info, and voice command Google maps....now voice access to phone, Nav directions through the AA app and vehicle status, map locator, remote start, mileage, etc through the MyChevrolet app. with readouts on both the 8" screen and speedometer screens! Cancelled service on the '16 Silvy, '16 Malibu and the '17 Impala expired with no renewal......saved over $600/yr. and bought S7 Samsungs for the vehicles to run the apps in case I forget my main cell. Unfortunately couldn't do that with the '15 Traverse which is not AA upgradeable.

My wife's Enclave is not Android Auto compatible and from what I can tell, won't be either.

Which is sad, IMO. But it's a fantastic car nonetheless :D

Edited by Nick The Great

I had On-Sstar for several years and never used it once! But the one time I needed it I was extremly disappointed, they left me standing on the side of the road. Thank God for a good Samaritan that came to my aid.

Ran out of gas at night in Montana, I swear to god the girl on the end of On-Star had no idea were Montana was let alone Great Falls. Total Gong Show! I dropped it when I came home from vacation.

Talked about my experience on Twitter and got reply from On Star higher up saying she would investigate, never heard from her again!

On-Star is way over rated IMO!

Edited by Likarok
  • Like 1

How much do you pay? Second why didn't the Cruze come with the free 5 year Basic Plan every other GM comes with?

I just reactivated my 2014 Cruze, just so I could use the remote link app for the next couple of years. Works like a charm.

How much do you pay? Second why didn't the Cruze come with the free 5 year Basic Plan every other GM comes with?

It didn't cost anything. I guess after my trial period was over when I first bought it, it deactivates after a certain amount of time. I just pushed the OnStar button and asked them to activate it again so I can use the remote link.

• 2 weeks later...

This is GENIUS POWER Marketing from Onstar. You make people feel like they cannot do without a free remote app then BAM you pull it away and the fish chases the bait and swallows it hook line and sinker. These guys are very patient, 5 friggin years of casting their bait. That is an unreal amount of time to wait on a payday. Are these guys maybe partially owned by the Umbrella Corporation?

MV5BNDQ0MWI3MmEtMzM0OC00Y2ViLWE4MDItMzNh

• 1 year later...

Reviving this, my 2014 just had the Basic Plan expire. Looked at plans on Chevy site and Basic not offered. Started a chat and was told it is 14.99. To reactivate press the OnStar button in the truck. Laughable!

Can I just watch an ad when I start my truck?

Edited by jrob56
  • Like 1

.. GM is out of touch with current technology and pricing for services available..20yrs ago their OnStar service and pricing was reasonable.. but in today's world they are disconnected and oblivious

On 5/18/2019 at 12:52 PM, rah7777777 said:

I’d do $5 a month. But $15, they can kiss my ass. 

I plan on having a nice chat with them the day my basic plan expires. I know they will wheel and deal with you if you threaten to walk. I thought somebody said they already got a deal of like 99$ for a year of the Remote Access plan. That's down to $8.25 a month. Still too much, but a lot better than the $15 they are advertising.