Cargo lights/bed lights

Neither. I covered the dash thing until all my interior lights dimmed and tried and it still didn’t work with the key fob. 

Edited by Popo1984
Grammer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Neither. I covered the dash thing until all my interior lights dimmed and tried and it still didn’t work with the key fob. 

One way to tell if your truck is in “night” mode when testing during the day, is if the reverse light comes on when you unlock the doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread with a question based on driving home last night, with my dirtbike loaded up. On the interstate I wanted to turn on my cargo light to make sure my bike hadn’t shifted around. No go. I guess that’s how the system’s designed. 

Does pgamboa’s diode mod allow the cargo light to work in drive at night?

i see this as a ridiculous stock feature. If I can’t check on my bed when driving at night, why does gm even have cargo lights. 

• Like 1

Resurrecting this thread with a question based on driving home last night, with my dirtbike loaded up. On the interstate I wanted to turn on my cargo light to make sure my bike hadn’t shifted around. No go. I guess that’s how the system’s designed. 

Does pgamboa’s diode mod allow the cargo light to work in drive at night?

i see this as a ridiculous stock feature. If I can’t check on my bed when driving at night, why does gm even have cargo lights. 

It does not. The BCM kills the circuit to the cargo light while in Drive. This is to conform to the state law the many’s states have about having any white rearward shining light on while in drive.

• Like 1

My 94 Silverado could run down the highway with cargo light on.
I miss this simple feature on trucks now, but can understand how it is illegal, especially with LEDs in the cargo light.

Had a 99 single cab Sierra that you could do the same with, didn’t use it much but it was handy if I did have to check anything in the bed

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Been a while since this was started.  Has anyone figured out which wires need to be diode'd to make the cargo lights activate with cabin lights, whether switched on inside or my opening the door, like older GM trucks did, or Ford and Toyota trucks do? 

• 4 months later...
Guest Phobby

Cargo, bed, and mirror lights Solved. Use them whenever you want. This is on my 2016 Chevrolet 2500 LTZ crew cab. Trucks may vary depending on model and year.

How I did it-

1. Locate “Cargo Lamp” fuse. Mine is fuse 10 in the passenger side fuse panel.

2. Remove fuse box from its location. (Mine came out with harnesses plugged in) tabs that hold it at 10 o’clock and 1 o’clock.

3. Pull fuse and use a multimeter on connectivitybuzzer setting. Find the two wires Positive IN and OUT by touching one side where the fuse plugs in and the other to the harness wires plugged in on the backside of the fuse block.

4. Switch to low voltage setting on your meter. One wire should be Hot (12-13v) and the other no voltage = this wire sends positive to the lights. Mine is an OFF WHITE with Purple stripe.

5. I unplugged the harness, removed the front blue colored retaining clip, and used a tiny screwdriver to press the retaining tab down to remove.

6. Wire to a switch with a fuse to any 12v source you prefer.

**The original switch will not operate the lights anymore but it will glow and display in the dash as before if you press it.

**the bed, cargo, and mirror lights now operate independently of the truck whenever you want.

IMG_1588.HEIC.jpeg

IMG_1590.HEIC.jpeg

IMG_1589.HEIC.jpeg

IMG_1591.HEIC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone figured out a way to enable me to turn my bed lights only on? When it’s dark out and I turn on my cargo lights to find something in the bed under my hard topper, I’m blinded by the mirror spots and cargo light on the upper brake light before I can even get the tailgate dropped! Then I have to wait till my eyes adjust to be able to see anything even with those lights on. I would love to have a switch just inside my tailgate to operate the bed lights independently of the cargo lights switch. 

• Like 1