Cargo lights/bed lights

Turning the switch on for your 2017 will show a message on the dash "cargo lights enabled" in which they will come on in park, neutral and reverse and go off in drive.

Why reverse?

• Like 1

Why reverse?

For those with Towing Mirrors, this is how the cargo lamps on the mirrors are activated. So performing the diode mod will have them come on automatically in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you by any chance have a pic of the wiring & location where you did this, as well as a source & part number for the bulbs?

I may be interested in doing this to my truck.

Thanks

I did not take any photos... it's only 3-4" up from the connector... there is a whole thread outlining how to do it with a diode... I just wanted it both ways so didn't use a diode and a bare wire seemed silly so a scotchlock made more sense to me.

I purchased the led lights off ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-T15-W16W-45-SMD-4014-Error-Free-LED-Car-Reverse-Back-Light-Bulbs-6000K-White-/262844596687?hash=item3d32c241cf:g:QLsAAOSw~AVYnDfJ&vxp=mtr

Edited by ridersfan

I am a little confused with the thread but want to better understand. I clearly see the switch below the radio that controls the cargo light and the led bed lights. questions

1. If I switch that light to "on" Will the lights automatically go off when the vehicle is in forward?

2. Will the light go off after the vehicle is turned off?

3. Will they come on when going in reverse?

Thanks

Frank

1. Yes the lights will go off when you put the truck in gear (either forward or reverse).

2. No the lights will not go off when you shut off the truck. They will stay on until they time out (I think it's around 10 minutes). You can also turn the lights on without the key in the ignition.

3. No they will not come on in reverse (at least not on my 2015 - I'm not sure on the 2016+ trucks).

All of this is based on the "normal" operation not anything that has been modded with the diode.

Edited by sk

With mine modded by scotchlock... all of my rear facing white lights turn on in reverse AND all of them turn on when I pull the key from the ignition in the dark AND all of them turn on with the cargo lights switch... I have trailering mirrors with the LED lights on them, so it's as bright behind my truck with those lights on as it is in front of my truck with the headlights on... and I love it!

Edited by ridersfan

Dman1458 is onto something. If there was a way to use the diode trick to do as he asks, it would be great. As it is, as someone else said, doing the diode trick, my cargo, reverse and trailering mirrors illuminate when I remove the key, but only when it's dark. But to turn on just when you open the door, would certainly be nice. Who's going to figure out this mod?

1. Yes the lights will go off when you put the truck in gear (either forward or reverse).

2. No the lights will not go off when you shut off the truck. They will stay on until they time out (I think it's around 10 minutes). You can also turn the lights on without the key in the ignition.

3. No they will not come on in reverse (at least not on my 2015 - I'm not sure on the 2016+ trucks).

All of this is based on the "normal" operation not anything that has been modded with the diode.

Do you have a 2015 HD or 1500? HD trucks built before August 14th 2014 don't have the "cargo lamps enabled" where they come on and go off automatically in certain gears. 2015+ up 1500, and HD trucks built after August 14th 2014 do. Diode trick is really for the early trucks.

Edited by 15HDriver

Do you have a 2015 HD or 1500? HD trucks built before August 14th 2014 don't have the "cargo lamps enabled" where they come on and go off automatically in certain gears. 2015+ up 1500, and HD trucks built after August 14th 2014 do. Diode trick is really for the early trucks.

I have a late-build 2015 1500. I can guarantee that the cargo lights go off when you put it in ANY gear (this is something I hate!)

I have not done any mods -- this is the factory operation.

Not in any gear... in any forward gear. My 2017 has this mod done both directions and now lights up all cargo lights in reverse

Understood. But what I'm saying is that my 2015 does NOT work this way. It disables the cargo lights in ANY gear. Like I said this is without any mods so if you did those diode mods that makes a difference.

Edited by sk

Dman1458 is onto something. If there was a way to use the diode trick to do as he asks, it would be great. As it is, as someone else said, doing the diode trick, my cargo, reverse and trailering mirrors illuminate when I remove the key, but only when it's dark. But to turn on just when you open the door, would certainly be nice. Who's going to figure out this mod?

why would you want your reverse, cargo, and trailering lights on during the day?

why would you want your reverse, cargo, and trailering lights on during the day?

You really wouldn't......but doing the mod would be all of nothing. Unless GM did it and built it into the BCM tied to the light sensor.......

• 1 year later...

I just did the cargo reverse light mod but my cargo lights do not come on when I lock or unlock my truck with the key fob. The activate when in reverse but just not when I use the key fob. 

Here is my diode. Did I do something wrong?

56A9F793-A7E1-4606-8B52-F3E3D4F9E57F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Popo1984 said:

I just did the cargo reverse light mod but my cargo lights do not come on when I lock or unlock my truck with the key fob. The activate when in reverse but just not when I use the key fob. 

Here is my diode. Did I do something wrong?

56A9F793-A7E1-4606-8B52-F3E3D4F9E57F.jpeg

During the day, n the dark, or neither?