Cargo lights/bed lights

Hey everyone, I'm sure this is covered somewhere on here but I searched and found nothing. The cargo lights and bed lights on my '17 Silverado so not come on when I open the door. Is this normal? My '06 Titan lights came on when you opened the door and then shut off with the interior lights. There was, like the Silvy a switch on the dash to turn it on and leave it on.

I've gone through all the menus in the DIC/head unit and see nothing about this as a setting. What am I missing??

• Like 1

Hey everyone, I'm sure this is covered somewhere on here but I searched and found nothing. The cargo lights and bed lights on my '17 Silverado so not come on when I open the door. Is this normal? My '06 Titan lights came on when you opened the door and then shut off with the interior lights. There was, like the Silvy a switch on the dash to turn it on and leave it on.

I've gone through all the menus in the DIC/head unit and see nothing about this as a setting. What am I missing??

That's correct. There is a diode mode performed in the BCM to have the Cargo lights come on anytime the reverse lights are on.

Here is the thread that explains it.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/164156-cargo-lights-on-with-reverse-lights/

Here is a pic. The diode is shown installed between the brown and pink connectors.

4b8d4a7ef278d8c8ced5723baad848fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The cargo lamp provides more light

in the cargo area or on the sides of

the vehicle, if needed. The lights

inside the pickup box and/or on the

outside rearview mirrors also turn

on, if equipped.

Press the switch down to turn the

cargo lamp on or off. An indicator

light will turn on when the lamp is

turned on, if equipped. The shift

lever must be in the P (Park)

position to operate the cargo lamp.

The lights on the outside rearview

mirrors turn on if the shift lever is in

the R (Reverse), N (Neutral),

or P (Park) position.

I thought about this the other day. Why are we all doing diodes for this mod? Wouldn't it make more sense to have more light both in reverse and when using cargo lights?

I have the diode in now but I'm questioning my decision now

I thought about this the other day. Why are we all doing diodes for this mod? Wouldn't it make more sense to have more light both in reverse and when using cargo lights?

I have the diode in now but I'm questioning my decision now

Diode is easier to jam down the back side of the connector than a piece of stranded wire that most people will have lying around. If you have some solid core wire available it should be pretty easy!

Yes it's normal. They do not come on when you open the doors. There is a switch in the line of switches below the HVAC controls that shows an icon of a truck with a light shining into the bed. That one turns on the cargo and bed lights. They turn off whenever you put the truck in gear.

The diode mod that pgamboa is talking about works a little differently and is a mod to the normal operation. It still will not make your cargo lights come on when you open the door but they will come on with your reverse lights (the reverse lights come on when you hit lock/unlock on the key fob). If you don't mind some custom wiring you could probably tap off the door circuit and add a relay to get the lights to do what you are asking.

Edited by sk

I used a red scotch lock connector to do my own... further up the wire. No diode required, nothing can vibrate out. Now I have backup lights come on with cargo lights and cargo lights come on with backup lights. When it's dark and I pull my key... it's lit up nice and bright back there.

On top of it all, I also upgraded my backup light bulbs and cargo light bulbs in the high mount brake light with 6000K LED canbus bulbs. It's REALLY bright back there

I used a red scotch lock connector to do my own... further up the wire. No diode required, nothing can vibrate out. Now I have backup lights come on with cargo lights and cargo lights come on with backup lights. When it's dark and I pull my key... it's lit up nice and bright back there.

On top of it all, I also upgraded my backup light bulbs and cargo light bulbs in the high mount brake light with 6000K LED canbus bulbs. It's REALLY bright back there

Do you by any chance have a pic of the wiring & location where you did this, as well as a source & part number for the bulbs?

I may be interested in doing this to my truck.

Thanks

I am a little confused with the thread but want to better understand. I clearly see the switch below the radio that controls the cargo light and the led bed lights. questions

1. If I switch that light to "on" Will the lights automatically go off when the vehicle is in forward?

2. Will the light go off after the vehicle is turned off?

3. Will they come on when going in reverse?

Thanks

Frank

I am a little confused with the thread but want to better understand. I clearly see the switch below the radio that controls the cargo light and the led bed lights. questions

1. If I switch that light to "on" Will the lights automatically go off when the vehicle is in forward?

2. Will the light go off after the vehicle is turned off?

3. Will they come on when going in reverse?

Thanks

Frank

Turning the switch on for your 2017 will show a message on the dash "cargo lights enabled" in which they will come on in park, neutral and reverse and go off in drive.