Wheel Spacers

Are they only in the back? Or all around? I've had spacers for a while and have learned some about them. I had a 99 Silverado before my 2014 and had 2" all around. They were on for 2 years without any issues until one of the studs broke off while I was getting the tires rotated, so I took them off before I put it up for sale. The way I see it is that if they're good spacers and you check the torque on the nuts regularly you're all good.and when I say good spacers I mean not China ones (that's what I had on my 99), if they're a reputable company like BORA spacers. I have 2" bora on the back two tires on my 14 to even the back tires out from the front bc I have a procomp lift. I had a 4 seater rzr I pulled all around the metroplex. I take it on 2 hr road trips no problem.

There's lots of discussion on this forum on spacers. If you think about it, it's not much different than a negative offset rim (-6, -12, -24) that you see plenty of people running. The biggest issue is security and by that I mean, where is the load being applied--on a hub ring or on the studs themselves?

If you run a .25 RCX spacer to push your rim out a little to eliminate some SB or UCA rub, you are asking for trouble. It's a free floating piece of metal that has caused your rim to ride .25" away from the hub and you've reduced stationary metal-to-metal contact AND the amount of threads your lug nuts have to hold onto.

On the other hand, if you get BORA spacers, the weight of your truck is largely riding vertically on the center ring of your hub and you have significant metal to metal friction when you torque the spacer against your hub. Then your rim mounts on the spacer that has its own hub ring and full length studs. That's pretty secure and safe.

The biggest issue is that most rims require a 1.75" or 2" spacer to eliminate shortening your stock studs so the rim sits flush on the spacer. Some rims have pockets in the back between the studs holes (mainly stock rims), that allow a 1.5" spacer without cutting OEM studs. From what I've read on this forum, the trimming is minimal on 1.5 spacers so that if you remove the spacer, you still have plenty of threads for the original OEM setup.

Good info about stud length on this page:

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/custom-offsets-store/84/15-bora-spacers-set-4-5-or-6-lug-all-makes-and-models

I took them off, emailed company (hong kong) to ask about tow rating and they said " I not sure" the site said US steel, turns out they were from China. ****ers!!

Just get quality spacers with the center hub for the wheel to sit on. Wheel centric... I have been running 2 inch spacers on all 4 for 50 k miles on my 2016. I pull trailers also. Never had an issue. K

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Archived