Cab chime volume

Oddly enough, I already have a couple of those from the exact same vendor! Mine are currently in the back. My kids are still in booster seats, and the extenders make it much easier for them to get buckled. As luck would have it, my daughter just crossed the age where she no longer needs the booster, so I may be able to relocate the extender. Great idea. Hadn't even thought about that.

Has anyone fiddled with the chime module itself (or is it even reachable without major dashboard teardown)? I'm still thinking about a good foam wrap. Also wondered if a resistor could be spliced into one of the feed lines. The mechanical engineer in me refuses to give up. :)

You can get the extenders for free from the dealership, I got two for when I am hunting and don't need a seatbelt.

I hadn't noticed how loud it is until after I had a sound system upgrade done, I wasn't able to find any settings on the touchscreen or on the MID. It sounds like I'll need to have a dealer do this...Thanks to all for the info.

Took my vehicle in for servicing and mentioned the ear ringing chime volume and that I thought there was a TSB to remedy it. They looked at me like I was nuts. But said they would check on it.

They found nothing and it still rings my ears when it goes off. Annoying as hell.

Took my vehicle in for servicing and mentioned the ear ringing chime volume and that I thought there was a TSB to remedy it. They looked at me like I was nuts. But said they would check on it.

They found nothing and it still rings my ears when it goes off. Annoying as hell.

The Bulletin #PIT5328b was written on my work order. I hope this helps. The improvement for me was significant.

• Like 2

Has anyone fiddled with the chime module itself (or is it even reachable without major dashboard teardown)? I'm still thinking about a good foam wrap. Also wondered if a resistor could be spliced into one of the feed lines. The mechanical engineer in me refuses to give up. :)

The chime module is built into the radio from my understanding. The turn signal is also generated here as well. This is why the noises come from the speakers. Short of replacing the radio or messing with the speakers, the dealer service mentioned above is the only way I know to adjust it. Breaking the chime also breaks the signal noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bulletin #PIT5328b was written on my work order. I hope this helps. The improvement for me was significant.

That's the exact one that is on my work order. But for the me the change was noticeable but not low enough.

Had the truck in for 1 of my free oil/tire visits today and asked about the chime volume. Like Hawkeye mentioned above, I got a "deer in the headlights" stare from the shop's supposed electrical guru. Kicking myself as I hadn't been back on this thread for a while and Donstar referenced an actual TSB. Grrr.

Will take that with me next time I go back as I didn't have time today for them to research from scratch. I've ticked off many a person on the other end of my Bluetooth phone connection as the speaker sits right below the microphone. It's bad enough in the cab, but they say it's earsplitting on the other end.

I've played with the radio's chime volume setting some more, but it honestly appears to do NOTHING at all in either direction. Same thing for automatic mirror fold (or something like that). Can't figure out what it does when enabled. For what it's worth, the reverse mirror tilt setting does work, but I don't like it. Too disorienting for me when trying to back with mirrors. Just my luck. The 2 settings I want to work, don't. And the 1 setting I don't care anything about, does. *sigh*

Had the truck in for 1 of my free oil/tire visits today and asked about the chime volume. Like Hawkeye mentioned above, I got a "deer in the headlights" stare from the shop's supposed electrical guru. Kicking myself as I hadn't been back on this thread for a while and Donstar referenced an actual TSB. Grrr.

Will take that with me next time I go back as I didn't have time today for them to research from scratch. I've ticked off many a person on the other end of my Bluetooth phone connection as the speaker sits right below the microphone. It's bad enough in the cab, but they say it's earsplitting on the other end.

I've played with the radio's chime volume setting some more, but it honestly appears to do NOTHING at all in either direction. Same thing for automatic mirror fold (or something like that). Can't figure out what it does when enabled. For what it's worth, the reverse mirror tilt setting does work, but I don't like it. Too disorienting for me when trying to back with mirrors. Just my luck. The 2 settings I want to work, don't. And the 1 setting I don't care anything about, does. *sigh*

On my 2017 - you can power fold the mirrors by pressing and holding the key fob un-lock button. And/or you can set it up for all four windows down at once. I have it set for just the windows - for hot days when approaching the locked rig...........

On my 2017 - you can power fold the mirrors by pressing and holding the key fob un-lock button. And/or you can set it up for all four windows down at once. I have it set for just the windows - for hot days when approaching the locked rig...........

Krusty is correct for "automatic folding mirrors". First you need to enable it in the settings menu. Then when you hold the key fob button it will fold your mirrors. So it's not really "automatic" ...

Edited by sk

Me Too - still VERY loud

Prior to this service, the chime hurt my ears and passengers complained or at least commented. It is now no more annoying than my previous trucks or my wife's Toyota. Passenger comments ceased the day this was addressed. I will check with my dealer to see if they did anything special other than what was stated in the "TSB". I know that the chime volume control on the DIC does nothing and am wondering if less informed dealers are using this control thinking this is all that can be done. I doubt this chime issue was present on all years and models so it is a flaw that can be fixed.

Prior to this service, the chime hurt my ears and passengers complained or at least commented. It is now no more annoying than my previous trucks or my wife's Toyota. Passenger comments ceased the day this was addressed. I will check with my dealer to see if they did anything special other than what was stated in the "TSB". I know that the chime volume control on the DIC does nothing and am wondering if less informed dealers are using this control thinking this is all that can be done. I doubt this chime issue was present on all years and models so it is a flaw that can be fixed.

They had to download a new (?) that took 40 minutes +- and it reset everything back to factory settings, even the trans had to relearn, it did lower the volume but - as you said - still loud like my 2011 25 HD was ...

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old topic, but I recently ran across this and had trouble with it myself. I have a 2015 Tahoe LT with the HMI 2.5 module that has CarPlay/AndroidAuto.

For me, setting chime on the *lowest* value did not work. I had to set it on the “2” in order to get a very low (normal) door chime.

Ignition must be in on/accessory to access the Vehicle radio option.  I’ve attached some pics to show how I accessed it and what my current settings are.  Anything lower results in a very loud chime, which kind of goes against how +/- works, but ??‍♂️ 

img1

img2

img3

img4