2014 WT, Ecotec 4.3L V6. Rarely gets used. Bought new. First time they chewed through the injector harness. This time it is the wiring that goes to engine cooling fan and the alternator. Trying to do repairs and came upon this in the attached picture. It was wrapped in the tape of the harness and is something OEM. There are two wires (black with white stripe going in on one side and two smaller gauge wires coming out of the other. In between, there is the black plastic tube filled with a rigid white plastic. I don't know what is in the tube. The wires end up going to the ECM near the front driver side of the engine compartment. The black plastic tube has letters "FL-0" on it.

Does anyone know what this is or what the wires control. Is it a fusible link maybe. The issue that is making repair difficult is that the wires that have been chewed through only have about 1/8th of an inch exposed before it goes into the white plastic making soldering or crimping impossible. I could try and trim away some of the plastic and expose more wire but if there is some component in the plastic it could be damaged. If nothing is in there i could cut the entire thing away and solder new wires.

Any ideas?

post-70753-0-55998600-1491677022_thumb.jpg

Got a partial answer. The wires are all crimped together in the center of the plastic filled black tube. No electrical components, nothing. Just different gauge wires crimped together. They must be ground wires. God know why GM did it the way they did.

Archived