Rear End Clunking - Only When Turning - Normal?

2015 6.2L 4x4

So I recently started noticing this clunk toward the rear of my truck. It sounds like it's coming from the rear diff, but it's slightly different than all the other reports I've been reading about. Mine only happens when I'm turning sharply at slow speeds - like pulling into or out of a parking spot of my garage. It'll clunk 2-3 times throughout the 90 degree turn. If I'm backing in/out slow and straight - no clunk. But if I'm turning sharply, noticeable clunking. Appears to be more noticeable in reverse, but does happen going forward as well.

I had the dealer look at it a couple of weeks ago when I got my oil changed, but they said it was just normal U-joint noises. But I'm not understanding why it only happens when I'm turning sharply? My theory is that it's in the diff (not the U-joints) because the axles are rotating at different speeds when turning. So maybe some slop in the gears? Is this normal? Anybody else notice something similar?

Thanks.

Never had that. Has the differential fluid been changed? Reason that I ask is sometimes people will accidentally put the limited slip additive in these G-80 locker differential and it will produce some real weird symptoms.

Never had that. Has the differential fluid been changed? Reason that I ask is sometimes people will accidentally put the limited slip additive in these G-80 locker differential and it will produce some real weird symptoms.

24k miles - no maintenance.

Sometimes it is hard to pinpoint a clunk. If this were mine I would probably head for the closest good deep mud puddle just to make 100% sure the 4whl drive is disengaging properly and have a little fun of course..... it is rare that you hear about a problem with these G-80's especially at that low of a mileage.

I am heading back to work in a few minutes I will make a real effort to turn sharply and listen/feel for anything and let you know. I am only at 16,000 miles though.

Agreed not normal. Might be one of those things that you will simply have to let get worse so it is easy to find. I still like the big mudhole idea to make that succa show itself....

2015 6.2L 4x4

So I recently started noticing this clunk toward the rear of my truck. It sounds like it's coming from the rear diff, but it's slightly different than all the other reports I've been reading about. Mine only happens when I'm turning sharply at slow speeds - like pulling into or out of a parking spot of my garage. It'll clunk 2-3 times throughout the 90 degree turn. If I'm backing in/out slow and straight - no clunk. But if I'm turning sharply, noticeable clunking. Appears to be more noticeable in reverse, but does happen going forward as well.

I had the dealer look at it a couple of weeks ago when I got my oil changed, but they said it was just normal U-joint noises. But I'm not understanding why it only happens when I'm turning sharply? My theory is that it's in the diff (not the U-joints) because the axles are rotating at different speeds when turning. So maybe some slop in the gears? Is this normal? Anybody else notice something similar?

Thanks.

Leaf spring is possibly your culprit. It will tap against the other stack when turning, or backing up on uneven ground. Check your rear axle u-bolts for proper torque.

Also check your front strut nuts on top 3x for proper torque. They could be loose making a clunk noise...been there already!

Good luck

2nd for rear springs. Go to the bed above the wheels and push side to side. You'll hear it.

+3. OP has exact same symptoms I had. hosed down front and rear of springs near shackles with fluid film and it's noticeably better. make sure you get it between the leaves and have to reapply periodically.

I would check the torque on the rear leaf springs u-bolts.

The dealer said that they did check the U-Bolt torque, but it didn't improve anything. I'll try to get up under my truck this weekend and see it anything looks suspicious.

+3. OP has exact same symptoms I had. hosed down front and rear of springs near shackles with fluid film and it's noticeably better. make sure you get it between the leaves and have to reapply periodically.

Done this fix multiple times at the dealer for this concern. This does work. I also have found that if you have side steps, the rear bolts coming slightly loose will cause a clunky noise in the rear giving you the idea that it's the rear end. Check both of those things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived