Should I worry about my airbags when off roading?

After seen a thread about a gentlemen having his side airbags deploy when off roading and seeing that GM refused to cover it because he had a 6" lift I worry about having the same problem. I do not have a 6" lift but I do have a ready lift 2.5" leveling kit installed because the nose is just too low to go to the places I do without killing the air dams. I already removed the lower most dam before the back roads did it for me. I also saw that other people have had this problem in bone stock trucks and even some have deployed during reviews of the trucks. I am not a hard core mud and rock guy but I do go on some pretty tough trails at walking speeds to get to camping and hiking spots. I only found out this was an issue after buying the truck.

Am I worried about nothing or is this a real problem? Is this truck really this delicate? If I have a problem will GM tell me too bad because of my leveling kit?

I have seen some guys talk about pulling the airbag fuse before heading off road. Is this smart? Would that cause an issue for the trucks computers doing this over and over? I spend lots of time in the back woods. I never had any issues with my 2001 Silverado LT Z71. I am keep that for the really hard core trips but I bought this truck to use. Long term I am going to have to put the 2001 down. Its just to rooted.

Any advice would be of help.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After seen a thread about a gentlemen having his side airbags deploy when off roading and seeing that GM refused to cover it because he had a 6" lift I worry about having the same problem.

How is GM responsible for the air bags deploying when a vehicle is driven off road?

It's a Truck with a Z71 "Off road package". GM PR is full of talk of hard work on rough job sites and off road trips. My truck came with off road tires from the factory. I am not looking to run in a rally. I do want to be able to get to a camp site without my headliner exploding. Ford and Dodge seem to be able to do it without major issues tho I am sure anyone can find instances where it has happened. Air bags are for crashes not heavy bumps. A Z71 should not needs to stay on a paved road to work correctly. A truck is a tool and that is what I bought. For me it is not a status symbol to be driven on sunny days. I was sold a truck with this kind of life style in mind and clearly stated to the dealer. I was told this is the truck I wanted and based on my 01 I agreed. I just worry now that this truck is not as robust as it was represented to me.

Not saying this is your position.

I just want to know if this is hype or a real problem. If it is a problem are there actions I can take to protect myself.

How is GM responsible for the air bags deploying when a vehicle is driven off road?

How are they not responsible? If you're not hit or hit something they shouldn't go off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I am worried about. Skip to 4:50

I am not looking to do this

Tho I must admit I laugh every time I see this. Not because they got hurt. But because its a hold my beer moment.

The 2017 is the wrong truck for off roading. Yes, tilt it too far and the side air bags will deploy. This is by design. Just doing their job. Don't expect warranty coverage. Take some time and read the policy in whole.

Yep there have been a few camaros out there that have had airbags going off during autocross events. E car senses a rollover or to many Gs being pulled and they fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You'd better read up on whether pulling a fuse is an option. All this safety crap is great for the mainstream owner but they certainly did not take offroading into consideration when they were designing all of this. If you want an offroad vehicle, get one that was truly made for it. Decals, a skid plate or two, and "offroad" shocks don't make it a trail blazer. For example, I have the All Terrain model and I only got it because of the looks and additional features. I know it isn't worthy of the crap I used to do when I was in my 20's and I wouldn't put a $60K truck through that anyways.

I'm sure the body side panels will also kink up given the random dents that pop up on earlier models as well.

I've been a little bit concerned about this as well. Ill likely be going to Silver Lake Sand Dunes here in MI this summer. Would hate to have this happen. We're likely gonna be bringing the quads this year anyway so Ill probaby drive in the dunes less, especially since my truck is stock af due to other priorities right now :-(

Thank you gentlemen for the replies.

I too used to do some crazy stuff when I was in my 20's (43 now) with my old 84 Ram Charger and 86 F250. We would drive up rivers and push over trees that were in our way. Ah to be young and stupid. Would NEVER dream of doing that stuff now and even if I did I would use the 01 Silverado. I just want to be able to go on back woods trails without being "Sucker Punched" by my airbags. I know a 50K truck is not the best tool for off roading. I had to replace my 01 Silverado and wanted something nice as the 17 is my winter daily driver (use the M3 in the summer when not in the woods). I have a camp on the side of a small mountain in central Maine and I need to get gear and stuff to it so I need a truck. The road to it and the roads around it are not great.. That is where I will spend most of my time. That is why I asked this question.

Okay so I am thinking unless I can find a reason NOT to pull the fuse when heading "inawoods" I will do so.

Can anyone tell me
Will this cause a problem long term with the system?
Is there just one fuse to disable the system?
Could there be any issues when I reinstall the fuse?

Thanks again guys for the help. Great Forum.

Pulling/re-installing may leave a fault code/warning light set.

This has been a GM issue for over a decade now. When the 900-series trucks first came out in 2007 several magazines had the side airbags deploy off road.

Archived