Bumper removal necessary?

PghJeff2

I need to replace the top plastic step pad on my rear bumper. Do I need to need to remove the bumper to remove and replace the pad or can it be accomplished with the bumper on the truck? Thanks!

Considering that I just tried to swap my bumper with another one, I'm gonna say - Yes, you will need to remove the bumper to gain access to all the clips that hold the top plastic piece in. I didn't look into the detail but when I had my bumper off, there were a LOT of retainer clips holding that piece in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On either side of the center step section there are metal clips that are almost against the bumper face and these have to be removed to get the step pad off. There is a video on You Tube that shows how to remove the rear bumper. www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTeTpu5c914 If the link doesn't work do a youtube search on removing the rear bumper from a 2015 Silverado. Having done this there are a couple of things the video left off. First removing the spare tire makes the 13 mm bolts just behind the license plate very accessible. As shown in the video once all the bolts were out they had difficulty removing bumper until someone jumped on the one step pad. I found that removing the rear 4 bolts that hold the bed to the frame (two in rear and two in the middle) and just loosen the two front bed bolts that will allow you to raise the rear of the bed about half an inch. The bumper braces turn up just inside the lip of the bed. If you have the parking sensors you need to unplug the harness under the bed and this also has the license plate lights in it. This is not all that complicated but will take some time. Good Luck.

Sounds great thanks for the replies! When installing the new step pad, is there a certain order that the clips should be pressed into the metal so as to ensure a secure fit and not bending or braking any already-secured clips? IE starting in the middle or go from one end or the other, or starting with either end that wraps around? Thanks!

I would line everything up and start in the middle work towards one end and then install that end. The step pad is flexible. Also, using a long nose pliers you can squeeze the tabs sticking through the bumper and allow you to remove the old pad easier. One part I left out is removing the tube the lock goes in for the spare tire. Here is a link on how to remove the lock ring. www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lemy28eXk_w Personally I bent all the tabs. Once you remove the tube carefully remove the lock ring. The are 4 tabs holding the lock ring in place. Squeeze the retainer together where it overlaps and that will allow its removal and then bend the tabs back down on the lock ring. I installed the bumper and then installed the tube so it would be clocked properly. Again, good luck.

Archived