2014 6.2 vs 2017 5.3

Just took my '14 double cab 6.2 in for service and have a '17 crew cab 5.3 loaner.

'17 has 2k miles

'14 has 30k miles

Both are slt all terrains

Just figured I'd point out the difference as I litterally got out of one and into the other.

Motor - Love the 6.2, 5.3 is ample but definitely feels pokey by comparison. The although both are very quiet, the exhaust tone is much deeper and more "badass v8 grumble" on the 6.2.

Trans - Not much difference between the 8 and the 6 speed. 8 speed feels a little better and less confused.

Noise - 6.2 interior has noise cancelling, 6.2 has noticeably less noise from road and engine

Ride - This is a mystery, but the '17 handles bumps wayyy better. The ride is a lot less punishing going over a pothole or something. Both are all-terrains and both have the ranchos, similar tire pressure. Baffled by this. '17 have fresh sr-a's vs my '14 which are about the end of their lifespan.

Handling- '14 handles better from a performance aspect, something in the suspension is softer in the '17 I believe. Whatever it is I prefer the '17 suspension any day. It's just a better ride.

Headlights- haven't driven at night yet, but man the '17's front end looks sexy in real life.

Mpg- seems almost identical

-iphone connect, not as good as you would think. Don't prefer the '17 radio much more than the '14.

Great info, I'm sure lots of people cross shop the 5.3 and 6.2 if they are looking at a new GM truck to see if its worth the price premium I know I did and totally agree with your points although I didn't notice the 6.2 being noticeably quieter compared to the 5.3 back when I test drove one but I'm definitely with you on the slightly deeper exhaust note the 6.2 gives off, its much nicer!

As for the ride I'm not aware of any suspension re-tuning that occurred between 14 and 17 M/Y but I also noticed a huge ride improvement between my 2015 Double Cab SLT and My 16 Crew cab and I think that comes down to the Crew cab over the double cab, with the Big 6.2 hanging out front on your truck and only the double cab leaved the weight distribution VERY heavily favoring the front then 6.5ft of box leaves the back end less planted and seems to jolt and jitter more over bumps however the double cab sheds quite a bit of weight so that probably helps with handling. Meanwhile the Crew cab has several hundred more lbs placed father back in the chassis and a short bed so although of course its still front weight biased the extra weight placed further back really helps the unloaded ride characteristics.

It also makes me think this is the case because the ride quality once I had my Enclosed trailer hooked up (~500lbs tongue weight) both my double cab and crew cab ride felt about the same but unloaded crew cab is clearly smoother.

Great info, I'm sure lots of people cross shop the 5.3 and 6.2 if they are looking at a new GM truck to see if its worth the price premium I know I did and totally agree with your points although I didn't notice the 6.2 being noticeably quieter compared to the 5.3 back when I test drove one but I'm definitely with you on the slightly deeper exhaust note the 6.2 gives off, its much nicer!

As for the ride I'm not aware of any suspension re-tuning that occurred between 14 and 17 M/Y but I also noticed a huge ride improvement between my 2015 Double Cab SLT and My 16 Crew cab and I think that comes down to the Crew cab over the double cab, with the Big 6.2 hanging out front on your truck and only the double cab leaved the weight distribution VERY heavily favoring the front then 6.5ft of box leaves the back end less planted and seems to jolt and jitter more over bumps however the double cab sheds quite a bit of weight so that probably helps with handling. Meanwhile the Crew cab has several hundred more lbs placed father back in the chassis and a short bed so although of course its still front weight biased the extra weight placed further back really helps the unloaded ride characteristics.

It also makes me think this is the case because the ride quality once I had my Enclosed trailer hooked up (~500lbs tongue weight) both my double cab and crew cab ride felt about the same but unloaded crew cab is clearly smoother.

That was my first thought, the crew cab. But I role around with about 400-500lbs of tools and supply's in the bed of my double cab almost all the time. With that weight in my bed, the '17 crew cab is way more compliant ride.

I didn't think there were any changes in suspension either. I drive on rough philly roads every day. This '17 is for some reason able to absorb potholes and various other bumps much better.

My '14 feels like a pickup truck, this '17 crew feels more like I'd expect a tahoe or suburban. Same exact wheels and tires too.

The only difference I see in the suspension is my double cab has steel control arms and this '17 has aluminum. (I think)

As for the quietness of the 6.2 with the noise cancelation. When I say noticable I mean I only notice it because I drive a 6.2 everyday. If you were just test driving them unlikely you'd hear any difference. It's barely noticeable. It's only certain noises that I can pick up clearer in the truck without the noise cancelation.

I will say I was getting on the 5.3 a bit more today, man does the exhaust note sound horrible stock! Sounds like a wimpy v6 or something. The 6.2 sounds like a cammed big block by comparison.

As for the quietness of the 6.2 with the noise cancelation. When I say noticable I mean I only notice it because I drive a 6.2 everyday. If you were just test driving them unlikely you'd hear any difference. It's barely noticeable. It's only certain noises that I can pick up clearer in the truck without the noise cancelation.

I will say I was getting on the 5.3 a bit more today, man does the exhaust note sound horrible stock! Sounds like a wimpy v6 or something. The 6.2 sounds like a cammed big block by comparison.

I actually think my 5.3 sounds great when I get on it. I will turn down the radio sometimes to hear it in all its glory. I am sure the 6.2 sounds better but I disagree with your exhaust assessment. My 14 Silverado cab is very quiet and coming from my 06 sierra it is a HUGE difference. That is one of my favorite things, is the cab noise is so low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived