'02 Sierra squeak/clunk

Hi all,

I've got an '02 2WD extended-cab Sierra with about 137K miles on it. I have been noticing a bit of a hollow clunk at times from the driver's side front end, and today I went out to bounce the truck a bit. From the driver's side, the suspension is rather squeaky, and the clunk occurs at the top of the bounce, or if I bounce it by pushing on the side of the driver's side fender. No clunks/squeaks at all from the passenger side. The clunk is less pronounced if I have the wheels turned to the left than if they're turned to the right or straight. I've checked the motor mounts by giving it some gas in gear with the brakes applied, and the engine isn't moving appreciably, so I don't think it's that. I don't really feel anything unusual in the steering, so I don't think it's that either. I suppose it could be shocks, but the truck settles right down after bouncing it.

The control arms/associated ball joints were replaced last year about 10K miles ago, so I'm guessing there's a unhappy bushing somewhere that's needing replacement. Thoughts?

I would suspect upper control arm bushings. I would jack up the front end and using a prybar, get between the frame and control arm, pry and look for movement. Any sideways movement is bad.

It could be a defective ball joint also, depending on the quality of the parts used.

Archived