Installing Cab Lights

Has anyone installed or had someone install cab lights on a truck that did not come from factory with them? Really wishing mine had them now and just thinking if its a straight forward install or better to have someone do it? Not sure if the wiring is already up where they're supposed to go, and not sure about how to switch them on and off without adding an additional switch somewhere.

Plow Prep Option gives the wire for a beacon (...) under the headliner, and a pre-wired switch.

Adding cab lights will require making holes that possibly leak (use lots of waterproof silicone) and then you need to wire and add a switch from scratch ...

The OEM cab lights are wired to the headlights and not switched separately

Is the prewired switch the switch in the overhead console? The truck does have a plow prep package, so Im assuming factory gm lights should just plug into the harness or is it something that has to be spliced?

You say that OEM lights run off the truck lights, then do they also run off of the prewired switch?

Is the prewired switch the switch in the overhead console? The truck does have a plow prep package, so Im assuming factory gm lights should just plug into the harness or is it something that has to be spliced?

You say that OEM lights run off the truck lights, then do they also run off of the prewired switch?

the switch & wire in the head liner is for the (you add) Beacon / whatever you want to use it for -

which could be for your added cab lights

You could use the switch & wire to set up your own cab lights but you will have to switch it manually for each use

so ya - what you have from the plow prep option can work

OE cab roof lamps are not switched on via any independent switch factory installed. They are tied in with the headlamp switch and activate in the AUTO mode when the headlamps turn on, in the PARK position with the park/run lamps, or the ON position for the headlights.

The factory lamps won't attach correctly to the cab as GM uses square holes stamped into the roof. There is a squared retainer with threaded center that the lamps screw into. They are not pre wired from the factory for them either.

I added them after, I did not use OEM kit, mine are LED, twice as bright and it uses plain old drilled holes. Mine come on with the running lights. They look just like OEM. There are good youtube videos showing the installation, I ran the wire for power up to the headlight and tapped into the running light wire. I don't have the mfg in front of me but I

can add it tomorrow. The foam gasket seals everything very well and I added silicone for extra sealing.

post-157863-0-84918400-1481586935_thumb.jpg

Archived