Does a Range AFM disabler work on a 2017 model?

Bought a 2017 Silverado in December. Took my Range Disabler out of my 2012 Sierra 1500 and sent it back for the current update. It worked fine for the first three days and then it turned on a "Power Steering Reduced" message. Every time I started the truck, I had to cancel the message. I called Range and had to send it back again for update 8.0. I thought that the update they did in December was version 8.0? Got it back and it worked again for 3 days and now I am getting the Reduced Power Steering message again. The check engine light never came on. I hooked up our scan tool and it gives a code for lost communication to body control module. I guess I will call Range again and see if they have this figured out. I have just been putting up with it for the last month. I also want to make clear that the people at Range are very pleasant to deal with and this post is not meant to bash them in any way.

Clark

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up my 2017 Silverado last month as well. Alreay got the exhaust, tint, CAI done, next was AFM disable Just bought the AFM disable from AnythingAuto, and right away I check the version, and it's still 7.8.R2. Didn't even bother to install it, just contacted Range Technology and filled out the update form and sent it out today, guess they are on 8.1 firmware now.

It works even though the software is 7.8. I ran it for 6 weeks before getting my tune

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Yeah, when I called Range Tech, Caitlin(??) was basically telling me they didn't test it for 2017 models yet(or in her words, extensively yet), and that there were some people saying it works for 2017, but to be sure, just send it in and get the 8.1 update. It's a free update, so figured why not.

I only have 230/miles on mine and I bought the extended warranty, so getting a tune would be down the road.

Edited by jpinoy

• 1 month later...

Bought a 2017 Silverado in December. Took my Range Disabler out of my 2012 Sierra 1500 and sent it back for the current update. It worked fine for the first three days and then it turned on a "Power Steering Reduced" message. Every time I started the truck, I had to cancel the message. I called Range and had to send it back again for update 8.0. I thought that the update they did in December was version 8.0? Got it back and it worked again for 3 days and now I am getting the Reduced Power Steering message again. The check engine light never came on. I hooked up our scan tool and it gives a code for lost communication to body control module. I guess I will call Range again and see if they have this figured out. I have just been putting up with it for the last month. I also want to make clear that the people at Range are very pleasant to deal with and this post is not meant to bash them in any way.

Clark

Did this issue ever get fixed for you?

I just saw this popping up on my display as well. Wondering if it's just from the bus getting loaded with interrupts from the Range AFM.

Did this issue ever get fixed for you?

I just saw this popping up on my display as well. Wondering if it's just from the bus getting loaded with interrupts from the Range AFM.

No, I still have to hit the check on the steering wheel every time I start the truck to cancel out the steering message. They sent me version 8.1 1/24/2017. 2/23/2017 they sent another version 8.1. The receipt said 8.1 final swap. I called 2 weeks ago and she told me that they just had a few customers with 2017 Silverados that had problems with the disabler. She told me to unplug it every 6 days and do their "all clear" procedure. I told her that after I clear the code with our scan tool, that it came back after 2 days of driving. When I asked if they might have an update coming in the future, she told me no and that they could do nothing more for me. I left it plugged in for a month and then it went into 4 cyl. mode. It seems like the truck is smart enough to figure out the Disabler! I am pretty disappointed with it but I just hit the check on the steering wheel after every start and unplug it about every 2 weeks.

• Like 1

No, I still have to hit the check on the steering wheel every time I start the truck to cancel out the steering message. They sent me version 8.1 1/24/2017. 2/23/2017 they sent another version 8.1. The receipt said 8.1 final swap. I called 2 weeks ago and she told me that they just had a few customers with 2017 Silverados that had problems with the disabler. She told me to unplug it every 6 days and do their "all clear" procedure. I told her that after I clear the code with our scan tool, that it came back after 2 days of driving. When I asked if they might have an update coming in the future, she told me no and that they could do nothing more for me. I left it plugged in for a month and then it went into 4 cyl. mode. It seems like the truck is smart enough to figure out the Disabler! I am pretty disappointed with it but I just hit the check on the steering wheel after every start and unplug it about every 2 weeks.

it actually went into 4 cyl mode even with it plugged in? Makes me think the Range AFM is having issues if that's the case. I know these send interrupts to stop the trucks from going into AFM, and I'm suspecting that might be causing the issues. As I've read other threads of people having issues and getting check engine light and after removing the AFM, it goes away. I'm going to try this and if it goes away, I'll chalk it up to the AFM and interrupts it sends to keep the truck in 8/cyl mode.

I don't have the check engine light come on, just the warning on the DIC. When I run the scan from Torque, it doesn't report any codes. I haven't tried just doing a clear codes yet. I'm also running 8.1, which they upgraded for me from 7.8 RC1.

Thanks for your reply btw.

Mine will occasionally stop working. I'll have to unplug and plug back in while driving and it will work again. No codes thrown. Hasn't happened enough for me to notice a pattern. I have a 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Bushleaguechew
  • Like 1

it actually went into 4 cyl mode even with it plugged in? Makes me think the Range AFM is having issues if that's the case. I know these send interrupts to stop the trucks from going into AFM, and I'm suspecting that might be causing the issues. As I've read other threads of people having issues and getting check engine light and after removing the AFM, it goes away. I'm going to try this and if it goes away, I'll chalk it up to the AFM and interrupts it sends to keep the truck in 8/cyl mode.

I don't have the check engine light come on, just the warning on the DIC. When I run the scan from Torque, it doesn't report any codes. I haven't tried just doing a clear codes yet. I'm also running 8.1, which they upgraded for me from 7.8 RC1.

Thanks for your reply btw.

Since I drive my truck every day, I didn't unplug it for a month. That's when it went to 4 cyl. Mode. Now I unplug it every 2 weeks and haven't had it go into 4 cyl. mode since. The scan tool still shows 2 codes for lost communication to the body control module. I haven't ever had it turn on the check engine light.

• Like 1

diablo Intune works on 2015 and 2016 so it should work on a 2017 since they didnt change the ECMs. Ive used on my last 3 trucks. I havnt tryed on my 2017 yet but i will soon enough with some updates. Ill report back in a few weeks after i get 1500 on my truck and know everything else is good lol..

• 1 month later...

Bought one last week for my 2017 Silverado 5.3. Ran like a champ for 3 days and now the power steering assist light prompt came on for a day. Now that light and my check engine light has come on. Do I need to pull the AFM and take it to the dealer to clear the codes? Car is 5 weeks old. Will this also void the warranty? New one for putting this in a truck( first one). Had tuner in other cars with no issues. Any help would be great

I saw another thread about battery drain when leaving Range plugged in after shutting the truck off. Does it drain the battery or is that unrelated/coincidence?

I have a 17 and it took about 3 days to drain it. I threw that little pice of crap in the garbage and ordered a BB tune the next day.

Bought one last week for my 2017 Silverado 5.3. Ran like a champ for 3 days and now the power steering assist light prompt came on for a day. Now that light and my check engine light has come on. Do I need to pull the AFM and take it to the dealer to clear the codes? Car is 5 weeks old. Will this also void the warranty? New one for putting this in a truck( first one). Had tuner in other cars with no issues. Any help would be great

It doesn't void the warranty. No worries there.